Dustinian's Sharpie Art

This forum is for requesting, submitting, and discussing artwork for the project.
Dustinian

Dustinian's Sharpie Art

Post by Dustinian »

Good evening,

Purpose:
I wanted to offer up the artwork from King of the Autumn's Harvest and The Lingering Keep.

Use:
In both adventures, I designated the art as open-game content. I want to also state in this post:
  • Each piece of art posted/linked in this post was created by me, and I hereby grant permission for this art to be re-used in any open-game material created for the Basic Fantasy Role-Playing game, as long as credit is provided. This statement will also apply to any subsequent posts made by me in this thread. (I can't speak to any images people other than me may link to in this thread, I can only speak to my own posts, present and future.)
Artwork: Method:
I created these by:
  1. Roughly sketching the picture with a #2 pencil (yes, yes, I know I should use a 2H
  2. Inking the pictures with a fine point sharpie, an ultra-fine point sharpie, a chisel-tip sharpie, and a brush-tip sharpie (I LOVE the brush-tip sharpie, but my goodness they dry out fast).
  3. Erasing the pencil work with an art gum eraser (not a kneaded eraser).
Paper:
For the "icons" in King of the Autumn's Harvest, I used the above method on quad-ruled graph paper. For the isometric drawings in The Lingering Keep, I used the above method on isometric paper. (PS: I LOVE the isometric paper. I don't know when, but you WILL see more isometric maps from me. They're just so fun to draw!)

Size:
I tried to keep everything at 300dpi. The "icons" are 300px by 300px (so 1" by 1"). The other illustrations are 900px by 900px (so 3" by 3"). The isometric drawings I left at a bit higher resolution than that.

Requests:
I'm afraid my schedule does not allow me to take requests, but I think if you'll experiment with the above method, you'll find it very forgiving. With the pencil, you can sketch and sketch until you get the right "look." Then you only start the sharpie once you're good with the sketch. With some halfway-decent erasing, the pictures will scan beautifully, and any graph or isometric lines totally disappear when you convert the scanned picture to "monochrome."

Future Art:
Any future art I create for my own adventures will be added to this thread.

Conclusion:
I hope someone finds use for some of these! I particularly think the "icons" from King of the Autumn's Harvest are re-usable!
Dustinian
AlCook

Re: Dustinian's Sharpie Art

Post by AlCook »

This is great stuff- thanks for posting it! The keep is incredible.
Dustinian

Re: Dustinian's Sharpie Art

Post by Dustinian »

AlCook wrote:The keep is incredible.
Thank you! Isometric Paper is awesome!
Dustinian