Roll With It - Flex GM PbP

This forum is for the rotating GM campaign started by Joe the Rat.

Moderator: Joe the Rat

jcm

Re: Roll With It - Flex GM PbP

Post by jcm »

Don't have any particular races I want to play so stock + gnomes + half-humans sounds good.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Sounds like gnomes, and half-humans. Damn, I was really hoping for takers on an all-goblin party.

So, how about classes and supplements? I'm tossing these in together, as some of the options we could look at (such as quasi-classes) are in supplements, and some of the supplements will color how the classes are approached.

That said, I'm for Combat Options. It opens up some avenues.
Go with a smile!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I like combat options, zero level spells and thief options.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Old 0-level, or new 0-level?

For those not following the edits, the difference is on progression. Old system is level + stat modifier in cantrips/orisons (which gets really big at high levels), new system is your number of 1st level spells, +1, +stat modifier (so at 1st level a cleric will still have at least one orison, and magic-users have at least two cantrip castings)
Go with a smile!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I like the old mainly because I think zero level spells was written to appease MUs and clerics were thrown in as an after thought. At least the old version gave the cleric an opportunity for more than 1 orison. The new one just gives them 1 (along with no normal spells). MUs get 2 or more cantrips along with their normal spell. Not to mention MU's have much better, and fun to play, cantrips than the Clerics orisons.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

It does give you the option for more on the new system - if you have a decent Wisdom.
Go with a smile!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Thats good. I think wisdom is extremely underused. The few times I DMed my kids I used the wisdom bonus when turning undead. This would be a good one too.

BTW, when you say new system, do you mean the one in the libre magica?
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

yeah, that's the one I'm referring to. This was discussed separately as well, but I don't think the 0-level spells doc will be changed. I was going to hold off on the new spells - I don't think there's anything there we desperately need for a starting game.

I'm voting for new system, since it starts Clerics with 1-4 orisons, and Magic-users 2-5 cantrips per day at 1st level (depending on stats).

Wis bonus on turning: I like that idea. Is that just on the roll to turn, or does it supplement the HD result as well? Let's try to remember that for when we get to the misc. rules

Edit: Oh, I've updated the first post to note where we are.
Go with a smile!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I don't care which zero ruleset we use. The old one provides more, but it doesn't detail range and duration very well. I would like to see Mend changed to 10' range to allow for some offensive actions by the cleric similar to what the MU can do with his cantrips.
jcm

Post by jcm »

Posting to show interest in the thread. Can't really join the discussion as I haven't played much and am not really familiar with the rules and how the supplements would affect gameplay.
:D