Need any more free modules?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
jdn2006

Need any more free modules?

Post by jdn2006 »

Do you need another free module to host? I'm developing one for Basic Fantasy (something like the Caves of Chaos from B2) -- if it work's out I'll be giving it away free. If you don't want to host it, I'll find a host and announce it on Dragonsfoot and so on -- but I'd rather it be with other product where people can find it while browsing.

Right now SCRIBD is the only sharing resource working for me, so I put a PDF of it there: (this is a cleaned up version; I had a rougher one on 4/18). The original is in Open Office 2.2 and I've tried to mimic the current BF module formats in places, although I need to look more at that.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/14421436/Chao ... N-20090419

This is my first stab at doing something in Basic Fantasy so any comments would be helpful. I took a stab at the license, for eample, and do not know if I have it right.
SmootRK

Re: Need any more free modules?

Post by SmootRK »

It looks beautifully done, although I have not read it completely. I love the blue maps... very retro cool.

Could you post the file elsewhere (or here)?, as I prefer not to have to join yet another service. One cannot download it without registering. Thanks for sharing
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
hjmartin70

Post by hjmartin70 »

I'm registered at Scribd and I couldn't download it either. It gave some error everytime I tried. It looks ok, nice maps. I haven't read the whole thing yet.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'd be glad to have it. If you have put it in the standard format, using OOo, I should be able to put any needed polish on it for you. If it needs any...

Did you start with one of my documents, to clone the layout? It's really easy to do if you do it that way.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Looking at it on the site, I need to point out a few things. Annoying legal crap, to be exact.

1. If I'm going to host it, I'll have to omit quite a bit of your "author's introduction" as we need to keep some legal distance between us and them (and you know who "them" is). Likewise, we might need to rename the module to give us a bit more of that distance. Yes, I know, I did use the name "Cave of the Unknown," but that was never an actual product, just a name on a map.

2. I really need you to say "Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game adventure" and not just "Basic Fantasy Role-Playing adventure." Stupid bit, but there you go... how we name things has legal significance.

If you host it elsewhere, I won't call you down on either of those bits, but if I'm to host it, I have to be careful.

Just FYI, several of the BF modules are "homages" to classic adventures and/or classic themes. Not clones, mind you, not that close, but homages. Morgansfort, Cave of the Unknown, Fortress of the Iron Duke, and Megadungeon are all homages in one sense or another. All are all-new material, nothing copied, as that would be illegal, but there is a spirit to each of the original adventures or ideas I wanted to reproduce. Your module is such an homage, and would be welcome on the basicfantasy.org site.

It would be the first full-sized contributed module, actually; it wouldn't fit in to the AA series at all, as it's too large, and I wouldn't presume to put it into the BF series either. Have you a series code in mind?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

One more comment: Feel free to email me the original document; include the maps as a separate item, please, in case I need to resize them before making a PDF. I like to work with print-ready documents at all times so that if we choose to put one into print it's not a hassle.

solomoriah@basicfantasy.org
jdn2006

Post by jdn2006 »

I will send Solomoriah the originals and see what he thinks.

I will manage it and even reformat it if needed; but I do not care if it has to be polished or reworked in any way by others. Any edits would only improve it. I'd rather it be as "legal" as possible and fit into the site and be as playable as possible based on the experiences of others.

I went ahead and dumped most of the intoduction; the only concept I would want to get across is that it's a low level collection of caves and lairs in a single setting for simple play. I developed it in an older game system format and originally intended it to look and smell like the module it was a homage to (in ways) but realized I couldn't publish it like that and spent a day converting. I tried to find any artifacts and might have missed some. I should have copied a BF module to do the conversion but didn't think of it...

I'm lost on names and codes. I actually thought it'd go in as another "BF" (which would be fine to me; if not anything that might work long term for the site). I was trying to think of a name that was simple and didn't step on any of the other names being used. "Chaotic Caves" was just my working title and I was worried it was a little too close to you-know-what but I needed a focus.

I split the main map in half and printed it and it came out legiable; but the PDF print out of the halves was smaller (fixed margins I guess) and I've been wondering whether to chop into into quarters or what.
jdn2006

Post by jdn2006 »

E-mail sent. I apologize, I should have asked about file sizes and format (the images I was inserting into the document are bitmaps that are 2 to 8 megabytes) and some e-mail systems choke on that... I can resize, put them in JPGs -- whatever -- if needed.

The file attachment for the forum didn't allow a PDF. Here is a link from the free website I play around with (hopefully it works but so far it seems like it's been spotty the last few days and seem to stop short when I trt to download anything...)

[Note: it seems like the web host provider hosed me so I'll disable this link to keep people from wasting their time...]

Here's a link to a jpg of the main map in case anyone wants to look at it (it's on my Photobucket account which you do not need an account to view):

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr35 ... _Caves.jpg

Right now I could use a sticky on Dragonsfoot about free file sharing and free web site providers -- the two main resources I was using went down the drain this week, it seems... [Nothing lost except the handy way of sharing files...]

As a note: I looked at the SCRIBD file, tried uploading a fresh copy, and it gave me errors when I tried to download. So either something on my end is subtly corrupting files in certain ways or the internet is wonky in many places right now...
Last edited by jdn2006 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I got the emails, thanks!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

The latest link to the pdf does not seem to work (at least for me).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?