New to Basic Fantasy RPG

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Kelthrax

New to Basic Fantasy RPG

Post by Kelthrax »

I've only recently come across BFRPG after finding the Core rulebook (2nd edition), Morgansfort, Caves of Chaos, and Adventure Anthology 1 at a used bookstore and picked them up on a whim. I like what I've read so far and I'm just now looking through the Downloads section.

I would like to contribute, but just a 'quick' question: Do you accept "weird" or "gonzo" stuff for adventures and/or artwork?

From what I've read so far things tend to lean towards 'vanilla' fantasy, which is fantastic, but just wondering if it is acceptable to do bizarre stuff. Thanks!
chiisu81

Re: New to Basic Fantasy RPG

Post by chiisu81 »

Welcome to the game and forum! 8-) I'll let Solo chime in on ultimately what the limits are, but I'd say it's fine as long as it's nothing very explicit.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Rather amorphous question... before I answer, maybe you could give some examples?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Kelthrax

Post by Kelthrax »

I didn’t have anything specifically in mind yet. But I just finished reading Operation Unfathomable which got me thinking about just crazy off-the-wall encounters and creatures that aren’t found in typical bestiaries.

Like mushroom-men that are on a scientific expedition to find the meaning of Life, meanwhile they are stopping all surface dwellers and asking them to experiment tasting potentially hazardous fungus with sometimes good or bad results. Or magic items without the standard +1 or +2, instead they have specific effects such as a Waterskin of Spontaneous Fluids (water, wine, milk, blood, poison, glue, etc)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ooh, so fungus-men who act like a wandering monster version of the classic "magic pools." Cool!
mosh4him

Post by mosh4him »

So I am brand new to RPG playing, and I found BFRPG by searching how to play solo on youtube, specifically on youtube channel - Artichoke Dip - Well he pointed me to Basic Fantasy as a great/simple and yet full RPG, unlike DnD; and he also shared with me using Mystic Fate System as a GM.

I purchased dice and created my first two characters, Azual - my human fighter and Anewyn - my elf magic user; and ran my first dungeon using the Morgans Fort Campaign. I did get past level one, but I had a lot of fun of the two hour session. (forgive me if I am not using the right terminology)

I do have some questions on what are some acronyms are BF, is this the best place to get those answers/support?

Anyways, thank you for creating something that was easy to learn and pick up. I intend to learn solo play well to share with others, but my big goal is to find a local group to get my hand at playing with a real GM. :)
- Mosh4him
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

You are in the right place. You can post your questions here, or post them in a new thread in General Discussion, whichever works for you.
mosh4him

Post by mosh4him »

Ok so I am reading through Morgansfort and I encounter wolves it shows the following;

6 Wolves: AC 13, HD 2, #At 1 bite, Dam 1d6, Mv 60', Sv F2, Ml 8, XP 75 ea.

I understand AC; but I am not sure what HD 2 is? and #at 1 bite?

Also what is Sv F2?
MI 8 is that missle range?

Again, noob here, just trying to understand so I better run my games.
- Mosh4him
vfults

Post by vfults »

HD: hit dice.
#At: number of attacks per round; in this case, a bite.
Sv: Saves as; in this case, saves as a level 2 Fighter.
Ml: Morale, and the number needed to make a morale check.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

To add a little bit more reference material. Explanations of what those stats mean are on page 54 (pg 58 pdf) of the core rules.