Elven F/M, XP and Dark Dungeons

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
cheimison

Elven F/M, XP and Dark Dungeons

Post by cheimison »

One thing that Dark Dungeons changed from how some of BECMI books were written was that the Elven experience total wasn't a linear extrapolation of some of the early combined XP totals - which resulted in the later levels way too expensive in general, especially compared to how little difference 2 hp made at that point, and not really fair as a fraction of useful abilities the elf has (which are mostly magic user at that point).

I was comparing it to BFRPG totals for a F/MU v. a Dark Dungeons elf. Your XP totals are a bit higher, about 10-25%, but I can't remember how that compares to B/X anymore.
orobouros

Re: Elven F/M, XP and Dark Dungeons

Post by orobouros »

Elves just didn't get as high in level, if I remember correctly. They capped at 12 which kinda makes sense, at least for game balance. Humans, while lacking some of the capabilities of the other races, were the only ones that could attain absolutely incredible power -- even immortality if you include that rule book.

In Basic Fantasy RPG humans just level faster, which I think is a pretty good trade off. I suppose at the very highest amounts of XP, a level 20 Elf F/MU/thief is going to be better than a human F/MU/thief. But I doubt that's a practical reality.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

IIRC the elven F/MU XP values are not taken form B/X but are a product of the combo-class rule (made so to maintain something similar to the elf class) which simply adds the XP values of both classes for rule simplicity.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
cheimison

Post by cheimison »

orobouros wrote:Elves just didn't get as high in level, if I remember correctly. They capped at 12...
In BECMI (the extended version Dark Dungeons is based on) all level caps were rescinded and everyone could be Level 40 or whatever it was. But the elves' XP requirements was extrapolated from their earlier level advancement, which was far too expensive considering how everything makes its saving throws at that level 95% of the time. The benefits to an elf at higher levels were not commensurate with the XP costs relative to the other classes.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

orobouros wrote:I suppose at the very highest amounts of XP, a level 20 Elf F/MU/thief is going to be better than a human F/MU/thief. But I doubt that's a practical reality.
Triple combos aren't allowed in BFRPG, unless of course you've house ruled it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org