Rules Check: Scrolls with long spell casting times

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Longman

Rules Check: Scrolls with long spell casting times

Post by Longman »

Hi,

A magic user in my PbP is trying to cast Hallucinatory Terrain from a scroll (normally the spell takes a full 10 minute turn to cast).

Just wondering if the casting time from a scroll is intended to be the same as written for the spell, or, if the fact that it is a scroll makes the casting time one round.

The Core Rules don't specify, as far as I can see. I know I can make my own mind up, but it's handy to have opinions from those who made the game, and play it often.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Rules Check: Scrolls with long spell casting times

Post by Solomoriah »

You should make up your own mind on this one.

I'd keep it at one turn, personally, but I'm not 100% sold on that idea.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I would treat the scroll as a prepared spell, requiring the same casting time, more in cases of spells previously uncasted (the caster must read for the first time the casting steps on the fly)
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Dimirag wrote:I would treat the scroll as a prepared spell, requiring the same casting time, more in cases of spells previously uncasted (the caster must read for the first time the casting steps on the fly)
Likewise. I am inclined to think that the scroll just allows the MU to produce the spell effect as if it was one of his prepared spells (but otherwise allowing the MU to carry additional spells in portable/trade-able forms).
So it would follow the same casting requirements mentioned in the spell.

Another thing: BFRPG doesn't really use spell components, but if such rules are used (and just my suggestion), then the components were utilized during the creation of the scroll - and are not needed to finish the casting.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Longman

Post by Longman »

Solomoriah wrote:You should make up your own mind on this one.

I'd keep it at one turn, personally, but I'm not 100% sold on that idea.
I was going to stick with 10 mins, too. Thanks for the advice, all.
Seven

Post by Seven »

I was wondering about this but with respect to scrolls in general.

Magic scrolls have to be read using Read Magic to determine what the spell is.
That makes it sounds like there's a description involved, not just magic words.
For example, I like leaving scrolls of very rare and unusual spells, so I literally hand out a piece of paper with a description written on it.

Prepared spells can be cast readily, but magic scrolls have to be read causing each words to disappear. That sounds like it might take longer than casting a prepared spell and if that's the case there's a chance for interruption during combat. Does that void the scroll or can the MU read the rest after the interruption? Maybe just add a penalty on the chances of failure?

What if somebody started reading a scroll and never finished? Would the spell go off as soon as anybody else read the last words? Would that make it hard to figure out what the spell is?
daryen

Post by daryen »

I would say the words don't disappear as they are read. Rather, they disappear when the power they contain is expended. So, you have to read the whole thing for the spell to take effect and for the words to disappear.

Note that if the casting is spoiled, it is up the GM if the scroll is ruined. Personally, I wouldn't do that to a scroll, but I'm a soft GM.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

As with many things in Basic Fantasy RPG, this is up to the GM to decide. But the scroll does not, exactly, contain a description; rather, an incantation is written on it in magical script (thus, Read Magic) which, when read, enacts the spell. A scroll is IMO not nearly long enough to contain the entire spell, but rather a casting of the spell has been bound into the ink and paper.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Seven

Post by Seven »

daryen wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:00 pm I would say the words don't disappear as they are read. Rather, they disappear when the power they contain is expended. So, you have to read the whole thing for the spell to take effect and for the words to disappear.
From the core rules BFRPG, Treasure, Scrolls

"the characters burn away as the words are read."
Seven

Post by Seven »

Solomoriah wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:08 pm As with many things in Basic Fantasy RPG, this is up to the GM to decide. But the scroll does not, exactly, contain a description; rather, an incantation is written on it in magical script (thus, Read Magic) which, when read, enacts the spell. A scroll is IMO not nearly long enough to contain the entire spell, but rather a casting of the spell has been bound into the ink and paper.
Unlike a potion that can be tasted, I find it difficult to convey a hint to the players.
So, assuming the incantation written is merely a vessel for the magic, the words on the scrolls themselves should somewhat describe the effect according to the establish practices?
Ye kind aulde cantic?