Hello - and a couple of questions

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Ant McEwan

Hello - and a couple of questions

Post by Ant McEwan »

Hi all.

I'm new to BFRPG. Or... kinda. I started RPGing when I was in my teens with 1st and 2nd edition AD&D, then had about 25 years not playing, then got reintroduced to 5e last year! Greeat to be back...but it wasn't quite what I remembered, even though I do enjoy it a lot!

So then I found out about BFRPG and read up on it, ordered some books, and here I am. I was reading through the core rulebook and have a couple of questions. I hope it's ok to post them here?

They may be silly questions...

Ranged combat. Ranges are shown in feet but substituted for yards in wilderness settings. Why? And I presume it's not a strainght one-to-one conversion?

Cause Wounds spells. Attack roll is required. If made with a weapon, is the weapon damage rolled in addition to the spell damage? Or does it have to be made “open=handed”?

Thanks, and hi to everyone!
Longman

Re: Hello - and a couple of questions

Post by Longman »

I'd say that Cause Wounds definitely should not be used 'through' a weapon - that would make it too powerful. The 'to hit roll' requirement simply means that you have to touch the opponent in melee to deliver the damage. The touch itself does no additional damage.

Conversion into yards outdoors is due to the fact that arrows and quarrels can fly further because they can be given an arcing flight path, and also, movement and vision are easier outdoors without walls and doors and so on.

In reality, this is mostly a matter of imagining things being further, outdoors. You can have a battle in which everyone moves in 'feet' or 'yards' and it doesn't make that much difference which one you call it, seeing as everyone's move rates and ranges are still the same in either. The only thing that isn't coverted to yards is areas of effect (spells and so on).
Ant McEwan

Re: Hello - and a couple of questions

Post by Ant McEwan »

Thanks, that all makes sense! :)