Print quality: Lulu vs. Amazon

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
bugleyman

Print quality: Lulu vs. Amazon

Post by bugleyman »

Hi folks:

I snagged the core rulebook on Amazon on a whim, and enjoyed it enough that I'm considering ordering more books. Before I do, I wanted to ask about Lulu. The Amazon print quality seemed adequate, and free shipping is nice, but I see that Lulu has some different binding options (including, in some cases, hardcover!). Would anyone who has purchased from Lulu share their opinions of print quality, especially in the case of the hardcover binding?

Thanks!
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

-- The Dalai Lama
SmootRK

Re: Print quality: Lulu vs. Amazon

Post by SmootRK »

I love my Lulu editions. My spiral bound is awesome because it lies flat on a table... it is my main copy these days. I know they wear out quicker, but at our price point, I can replace as necessary.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Lulu and Amazon perfect-bound copies are nearly identical, at least in the US. Lulu hardbacks seem fine; I've not worn one out yet. Coilbound copies do tend to fall apart after a while, but as Smoot points out they lay perfectly flat.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I've ordered several hardbacks over the years from Lulu, and they've always been good quality. For paperbacks I agree they're pretty much equal. Haven't tried a coil-bound from Lulu yet, but for short PDFs I use my comb-bind machine and it's really nice to have it lay flat. 8-)

Shipping from Lulu is quite a bit, but they do package them very well and will certainly arrive in perfect condition. I just keep an eye on lulu.com/home for any good deals.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Coilbound copies are on heavier paper, so they are thicker, but they still don't last long enough to suit me. I have a 1E coilie which I used a lot in the beginning, but it's falling apart.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

For anyone wanting a print copy off Lulu there's a decent coupon for free shipping...
Attachments
LuluCouponJun2017.PNG
LuluCouponJun2017.PNG (26 KiB) Viewed 3715 times