"Bestow Curse" Question

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
+1 Dagger

"Bestow Curse" Question

Post by +1 Dagger »

When reading through the "Bestow Curse" spell (the reverse of "Remove Curse"), I became a bit confused. Hopefully, someone can clear up something for me. The spell's duration is listed as "Instantaneous", which makes sense when removing a curse ... but does not make sense when considering the effects of the Bestow Curse alternative. For the -4 decrease of ability score or the -4 penalty to attack rolls/saves, how long do these effects last ? I ask because the next sentence in the spell description indicates that it may last for multiple combat rounds (but no set number is indicated). Am I missing something ?
Metroknight

Re: "Bestow Curse" Question

Post by Metroknight »

Myself personally would rule that it lasts till it is removed.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I always played as a permanent effect unless removed by the Remove Curse spell.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Longman

Post by Longman »

"Each round of combat, the target has a 50% chance to act normally; otherwise, it takes no action."

Is this the sentence you are referring to? I think that's intended to be one of the three main options for how the curse would take effect in combat. It's not an indication that the effect is measured in rounds.

An NPC cast this in my play-by-post recently. The effect would have been to reduce the target's Dex by 4 points. I chose this as being the last awful of the three options. He saved anyway.

I figure it's supposed to be permanent unless removed. Remove Curse has a 'duration' of "instantaneous" because the curse is removed instantly (as soon as the spell is cast.) Bestow Curse is also instantaneous.

It's a powerful spell.