Is basic fantasy really for me?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
artikid

Re: Is basic fantasy really for me?

Post by artikid »

OP I think you might feel more comfortable with D&D 5e.
xBlackHeartx

Post by xBlackHeartx »

Microlite20 doesn't use vancian magic. Instead, spells cost hit points equal to one plus twice the spell's level. Characters (regardless of class) have HP equal to their strength score (not modifier, also note that strength and constitution are fused in microlite20) plus d6 per level. This damage can only be healed through rest.

I've read that people who play this game say that that's balanced, but obviously I can't say from experience. From what it looks like to me, a wizard could in theory only cast their highest-level spells at best 3 or 4 times (depending on their hp rolls) before they would no long have enough hp to cast anymore, and doing that would leave them at around 5 or less hp. For example, let's a say a level 3 wizard had 10 stength and rolled a total of 10 (the average of 3d6) for hit points for a total of 20. His second-level spells would all cost 5 hp. So he could only cast fireball a total of 3 times and would be left at 5 hp afterwards. If he had rolled 11 (10 and 11 are equally as likely to come up on 3d6), then he could cast it 4 times, but would be left at 1 hp for the rest of the day! And at level 3 fireball would hit for 2d6, the same as a greatsword.

Honestly, that does sound a bit overpowered to me. I'd say he should only be able to cast his highest-level spell once a day. I mean, he did just learn it, so why wouldn't it be exhausting for him?

And as for playing fifth, I decided to go to the WoTC website and see if I could find a nearby game. There appears to be a comic shop or something in a city half an hour away from me where there's a group that plays D&D every weekend. But that post was made on their website last November. And its not supported by the business, so their site reveals nothing of what edition they actually play or anything.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Microlite 74's Companion 1 has Vancian Magic as an option which can be used on M20
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

artikid wrote:OP I think you might feel more comfortable with D&D 5e.
That's mainly what I was thinking about when I said other games may suits you well. I haven't tried D&D5, but from the podcast I've seen, it may be your best bet.

From what I've seen though, the premade campaign seems boring as hell.

If you want to get a feel of what kind of game D&D5 can gives, I would suggest checking out Roll20 5e campaign DM'ed by Adam Koebel.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

5E does have the basic rules that are a free download, if you want to check that out

While it doesn't have a free PDF, you may also want to check out Blood & Treasure, it has a stronger 3.X foundation