Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
SmootRK

Re: Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

Post by SmootRK »

Welcome to all the new folks! :D
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Welcome Javier 8-) Also a big Call of Cthulhu and BRP fan.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Bienvenido otro latino!!
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
vskull

Post by vskull »

Somehow I overlooked this topic, but better late than never.. Greetings!

I discovered 2nd edition AD&D in the early 1990s while I attended high school. Played a bit of 3.5 in later years but never really got into 4th edition; tried it once or twice and realized the game mechanics weren't for me. I've never played 5th edition, kind of lost interest in new editions of D&D.

I have played various systems over the years, some I liked and some I could do without. A few systems I still play often include: Call of Cthulhu, Dungeon World, Kult (1993), MERP, Mouse Guard, OSRIC, The Burning Wheel Revised, The Dark Eye, and Vampire the Masquerade.

I found out about Basic Fantasy while watching Ol' Man Grognard Reviews on Youtube after I did a few web searches for old school retro clones. I really like what I've read here and I plan to host a BF session with my local group sometime soon.

My forum name, vskull is short for voodoo skull in case you were curious. I tend to play a lot of dark fantasy settings and my characters usually have some type of arcane knowledge and or ability. The skull engraved with a V is found somewhere on all my characters, usually hanging from a necklace or on top of a staff or wand. Yeah, I'm weird like that. ;)
Rhaldin

Post by Rhaldin »

Hello all,
My name is Jay, and my User Name is Rhaldin, after a long time Thief character of mine. My RPG roots stretch back to 1983, when a friend introduced me to 1st edition Advanced Dungeon's and Dragons. I loved the fun and simplicity of that game. Played it throughout high school, and then when I went to college for a few years (didn't finish college, but that's another story), the folks there played Rolemaster. For a while, Rolemaster was fun, but then, life intervened, and hadn't touched RPG's in about 20 years or so, and then I saw D&D had went to 5th edition. I took a look at the pdf file they had up, but couldn't get into it. So, I went looking on Amazon for RPG's. One of the first links they had was for BFRPG, and I thought, ok, $5, what do I have to lose. And I ordered it. Once I got the package, I felt like I was looking at the old AD&D from back in the day! My friends and I created characters the other day, and in 2 weeks when we can next get together, we are doing some dungeon crawling old school style. So to all the moderators and creators of this game, thank you.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Jay, welcome to the game and forums! 8-)
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Nice intro. welcome to the game and to the forum. I hope your gaming goes great.
bugleyman

Post by bugleyman »

Hi, I'm new here. :P

I've been playing D&D since '83ish (Moldvay Basic). I drifted in and out of D&D in the mid-nineties until 3E brought me back in the year 2000. I enjoyed 4E until WotC drove it into a ditch, while 5E was a non-starter due to the lack of a complete digital version. You may recognize my handle if you frequent paizo.com, where I have ~8k posts over the last ten ten years or so. I have long enjoyed Paizo's adventures and settings, but the bloat and complexity of the Pathfinder RPG itself have reached farcical proportions. Hence my exploration of other options.

I've explored many of the usual suspects along less rules-heavy lines (C&C, Dungeon World, etc.). I've just recently run across Basic Fantasy, and plan to use it for a one-shot in the near future. Whether I adopt the rules more widely will depend on how the one-shot goes -- and whether I can truly wrap my head around Dungeon World -- but so far I really appreciate Basic Fantasy's simplicity of rules and clarity of presentation.

Anyway, I just wanted to drop in and say 'hi"
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

-- The Dalai Lama
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Nice to meet you, sir!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Cryanhall

Post by Cryanhall »

Hi, I'm new here. I thought I'd introduce myself and give some background.

I bought the Moldvay edition as a youngster, but it was a bit beyond my reach at seven. A couple of years later I got the Mentzer Red Box and it stuck. I also played 1e, as well as some other RPGs (Star Frontiers, Gamma World, etc.), but I left gaming when 2e came out. A decade later I bought the re-skinned 2e books and then 3.5 when it came out, but I never got into them enough to seek out other players. The next edition totally lost me. I kept checking in on the hobby, but none of the newer systems truly engaged me.

I found Basic Fantasy a few years ago and bought the second edition. I went through it and loved what I saw. However, I was in the midst of early fatherhood and didn't get the time to delve too deep. I recently moved into a new house and started unpacking my old books and modules. Among them I found my copy of BF and picked it up again. I've been going through the rules thoroughly and finding a lot of things I missed the first look through.

It keeps the best of the old, fixes what didn't work, and adds some of the best of the new. I love how streamlined, complete, and compact it is. The core of the game is solid and defined, yet there's still plenty of blank space for me to create my own world. It's completely reinvigorated my interest in gaming. I really excited to start building a campaign again. I've got the rest of module supplements and Field Guide coming tomorrow. This is the game I've been waiting for.

Final thought: This is a great site. I really like the collaborative, non-corporate spirit and look forward to contributing some of my own ideas once I cut my teeth a bit and get several games under my belt.