condition track

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
SpyderTattoo

condition track

Post by SpyderTattoo »

Anyone ever play around with a condition track (ah lah Star Wars SAGA) where if you are attacked and the monster/NPC badguy hits with enough damage to beat your "damage threshold" number without killing you, you're AB and your AC will suffer a -1 until you are healed? This has a ladder effect, example, you've been hit once to take you to -1 on the condition track, then you get hit again and take damage greater than your damage threshold, now you're at -2 to AC and AB and maybe you can only move at 1/2 your normal movement rate. I'm trying to figure out how to set the damage threshold, like maybe, you're Con score -3 or something like that. I'm new to this game so I'm worried about maintaining game balance. Thoughts anyone? I just have a problem with a character being able to fight and move and defend at 100% capacity untill they run out of hit points and die. Characters should get tired and show mechanically somehow that they are getting hurt.
SmootRK

Re: condition track

Post by SmootRK »

Most D&D type games use abstracted damage, meaning when one takes damage it is a general wearing down of the character. One either can do stuff (has hp) or is down (zero or less)... without any in-between. I think the only common HouseRule coming close to what you have in mind is the Death's Door effect, where when one is dropped to zero or less HP, you are down, but not dead yet. Others have time to stabilize you.

Then again, you might take massive damage, and have a save or die effect... never used that myself, but in some editions you find that.

Overall, while the idea is realistic, I find that it just complicates record keeping and does not enhance the game too much. Each has their own preferences though. If you have a system in mind, please share. One never knows what others may want to incorporate into their games.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?