Spells above 7th level

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Bluethomas

Spells above 7th level

Post by Bluethomas »

I don't see any of them in the downloads section. What would be a good source for them? I'm thinking Labyrinth Lord, but that's copyrighted correct? I'm wanting them for a pdf I'm making.
“The humble and meek are thirsting for blood.”
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Spells above 7th level

Post by Solomoriah »

As far as I know, no one has ever created a supplement containing spells higher than 7th level for Basic Fantasy. I just took a look at the original Labyrinth Lord PDF, and the OGL text says that their spell lists are Open Game Content; thus, you could use materials from that game in more or less free combination with Basic Fantasy materials. I don't have a copy of the AEC, which I assume is where the higher-level spells are found, so I can't comment on whether those materials are also OGC.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Bluethomas

Post by Bluethomas »

Actually the Classic Edition has spells up to 9th level and he put them all in the AEC.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Huh. Skipped over that part and went straight to the OGL text. So there you go, spells above 7th level.
Bluethomas

Post by Bluethomas »

Solomoriah wrote:Huh. Skipped over that part and went straight to the OGL text. So there you go, spells above 7th level.
I'm thinking that even though they are usable, I would have to reword every single one of them since there's something about the wording is copyrightable even if the rules are not.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Not if it's explicitly being released under the OGL license as Open Content. Then you are free to use it as-is, provided the AEC/Goblinoid Games/Dan Proctor is cited in your OGL copy in your release. You may also want to check out Dark Dungeons; I'm not sure what it has marked as Open Content though.

We aren't lawyers obviously, don't take anything in this thread as legal advice. If in any doubt, seek your own counsel or such.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yeah, Bluethomas, you probably need to read the OGL license text in both BFRPG and LL to understand about what you can or can't use. Basic Fantasy is based on the text of the d20 SRD 3.5, and also references a couple of Castles & Crusades books because we borrowed a very small amount of text from an early release of their monster book.
Bluethomas

Post by Bluethomas »

Ok what am I missing? You have a book called Iron Falcon and you went above 7th there. I guess since both are free online I could just make a table that includes all spells from both books and refer to them. Why didn't you go the full list for basic?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I DID go the "full list" for Basic Fantasy RPG. BFRPG's "coverage target" was BX, which had spells up to 6th level, so the Core Rules go there and no further. Iron Falcon's "coverage target" was the world's first RPG with its first supplement, and that game goes to 9 so Iron Falcon goes to 9.

Both games were retro-clones when they were designed. By the current definition of "retro-clone" BFRPG no longer qualifies, but I still see it that way.

I'm curious, Bluethomas. How familiar are you with the rules from the '70's and '80's?
Mazirian

Post by Mazirian »

Perhaps this would be best put on a more recent thread, but: Would BFRPG require other significant changes if I were to allow Magic-Users and Clerics their respective increased spell levels from Iron Falcon? I would imagine that the non-magical classes would need a buff of some kind...