Equipment Emporium: Weapons

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Joe the Rat

Equipment Emporium: Weapons

Post by Joe the Rat »

Per discussion here, we are looking at breaking the Equipment Emporium into more manageable chunks. This is the first breakout: weapons.

I have a GM section at the back for rules options - if there's anything really weapon-specific, we can add it here. I've also started tweaking weapon stats for balance.
Attachments
BF-Arsenal-Weapons-r0.odt
Current version (2? 3?)
(51.37 KiB) Downloaded 505 times
Last edited by Joe the Rat on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go with a smile!
Joe the Rat

Re: Equipment Emporium: Weapons

Post by Joe the Rat »

Coming from the light weapon rules here:

Would it be better for shortswords to be noted to stand for "light" or fencing blades, or should I create a separate listing? The game statistics would most likely be unchanged.
Go with a smile!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I believe shortswords are generally just bigger stabby weapons.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Personally I would prefer a weapon entry for Rapiers, Sabres, or other Fencing-type blades. But this distinction has more to do with Weapon Specialization issues than stats. They are used substantially differently than slashing broader bladed weapons. One should not get both sorts with one specialization.

A short sword (in my mind) is essentially a really big dagger, while such fencing blades are long like a Longsword, but slender and used mainly for quick moves and stabby stabby.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Yeah. The typical shortsword, to my mind, is more like a cinquedea or gladius in its shape than anything else.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

It would be a distinct weapon, it's just a question of making it a separate entry or a note under short swords.
Do we have a name we want to use for these? Rapier captures the essence of it, but a more generic term would leave open other light & fast blade options.

On further review, I've got a puzzle for you. What Size is it?
Also, should we preserve the short sword statistics? Most of the rapier and proto-rapier weapons weigh in closer to 2, but I'm okay leaving it at 3.

Then again, lower weight would justify a price increase.
Go with a smile!
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Okay, anyone want to take a stab at a name?

I rather like the "Equipment Emporium" for the just gear section (if that won't confuse things with the existing combined document), and would like to steer this more in line with other supplement titles.

But I think we need a bit more than just "Weapons". "More Weapons" doesn't quite have the right ring to it.

Also, I'm holding the light blade group under "Rapier", listed as a Small/Medium weapon (it's medium length, but effectively a small weapon based on weight, speed, balance). I'd like a different name for the family, and a couple other not-sport-fencing weapon examples. Most sabres are relatively broad-blade - or rather, scimitars aren't as wide as you imagine. and I can't call it a "light" sabre. You know why.
Go with a smile!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

How about "Weapon Emporium" or switch all of them so that they will be grouped as:
Emporium: Weapons
Emporium: Equipment
Emporium: Armor & Shields

I think Rapier is fine (especially with a small note that it encompasses "quick fencing-type weapons"). I think the sabre-type weapons (as you mention) are pretty much either Longswords or Shortswords, only having a single edge rather that both sides... but functionally for the rules, the same as L.Sword/Short... case in point, Scimitar is mentioned on same entry as Long Sword.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

How about "Fencing Blades" or "Fencing Weapons" as the family name?
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Something with "Armory" in it, seems to me.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org