Criticals and Fumbles mechanic

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Criticals and Fumbles mechanic

Post by Dimirag »

This is a ressume of some ideas posted and some new ones for when a Critical Hit has Occurred:

1-Luck alone: Nat 20 on attack roll, 12 on a separate d12, rolling max damage, etc.
2-Skill based: Roll 4pts over an opponents AC; roll a nat 20 if you AB is +0-+3, 19-20 if its +4-+6, etc.
3-HP Based: suffering more damage than 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 maximum HP or equal but based on actual HP, suffering damage after all HP are lost.

MM's idea can be expanded by adding more options like dissarm attemps, knockdowns, etc.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Fabio_MP

Post by Fabio_MP »

thanks Dimirag!
Fabio_MP

Post by Fabio_MP »

another option (thank you Topramesk -another italian translator - for getting me into thinking about it) could be to give more d12 dice for criticals to higher level characters

for example a Fighter could have 2d12 from 7th level, 3d12 from 13th level

this would drastically reduce the chance of having a fumble (you should just consider a f-- if you get 3 times 1, and f- if you get all 3 dice in the 1-3 range

on the other hand this could give the possibility to have greater criticals and much more % of having simple criticals :)

for each 10-11 give max damage
for each 12 give max damage+normal damage

if you hit and get three 12 you get 3*max+3*norm :)

I have to try this :)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

All this stuff is too complicated... too much die rolling. I prefer to keep things simple.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Fabio_MP

Post by Fabio_MP »

Solomoriah wrote:All this stuff is too complicated... too much die rolling. I prefer to keep things simple.
I understand... as soon as possible I'll revise the document to make it a compilation of various crit, crit/fumble system from simplest to more complex, I hope to put at least 5 or 6 different system :)
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Instead of adding extra d12 you can reduce the damage dice one step per additional d10 and each time you roll the max value its a critical, or you can expand the table to work with d4 to d12 (moving upwards or downwards) or you can even make severals critical rolls categories for different levels/AB, even simpler: based on your level/AB you get to add a tiny bonus so the better you hit the more often you critical hit and the less you critical fumble.

If you want a little more classification you can divide the critical hit and effects on Hits and Damage:
Critical hits are based on attack rolls and gives thing like extra damage, shield break opportunities, disarm attempts, stun, etc.
Critical damage come from damage alone and gives effects like bleeding, temporary penalties, etc.

Obviously GM are able to combine this as they wishes.

Finally, I thought about some kind of critical damage (ok, its based on another game but slightly change) where whenever you roll max damage on you dice you roll the next dice and if that roll is greater you do that damage, otherwise your damage is the previous value, if you roll on the new dice its also the max value you repeat the process, this means that with enough luck every weapon can reach the 12 damage points and use the d12), I know this can lead to a lot of dice rolling but its a nice system for those who like escalating/exploding damage.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Fabio_MP

Post by Fabio_MP »

exploding dice also is interesting (no relation with ability but fun)

bonus to the crit die are difficult because you would have to keep track of normal bonus and additional bonus (I would like something you can drop in/out as you like), for my taste I would keep to just 1d20&1d12, I have already done some testing and after a few rolls it comes very natural to roll the 1d20&1d12 toghether :-)

I know that I put a lot of tables in my submission, but I use it w/out tables just the additional dice :-)
Fabio_MP

Post by Fabio_MP »

Version 3 is online, now it's a generic supplement with a listing of methods to determine a critical (I tried to put all the one suggested) and alternate result mechanics.

What do you think?