Specialty Priests

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
artikid

Specialty Priests

Post by artikid »

Comment the Specialty Priests Supplement WOIP here.
https://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=54
LibraryLass

Re: Specialty Priests

Post by LibraryLass »

I'm all about this plan, I think the rest of Cleric Options is ready for primetime and we can use this opportunity to get specialty priests there too.
saskganesh

Post by saskganesh »

This supplement excites me as I left btb clerics behind a very long time ago. I'll read and think some about it.
@----
3rd year of GMing BFRPG on the Savea Costa. Now back to a six player table.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Nice.

One thing I think you should consider placing into the document is something like,
While this supplement seeks to form a more standard way for the Game Master to build deity/religion specific clerics (priests), it is not necessarily meant to be followed in a dogmatic way. These are guidelines and suggestions to assist the Game Master in building unique clerical types. The GM should feel free to adjust particulars of this system in order to best suit his campaign and play style."
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

One thing to think about...

A GM might pick this supplement to create his or her own custom clerics, and that's cool. Or... a player might get it, design a killer munchkin cleric, and then browbeat the GM into allowing it based on our support of the supplement.

No, I'm not saying not to release it, or that it's a bad idea. I think it's a very good idea, honestly. But I'm saying we need to be careful that whatever you can create with this supplement is as balanced as we can make it, or at least, the possible damage to the campaign is limited somehow.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
artikid

Post by artikid »

SmootRK wrote:Nice.

One thing I think you should consider placing into the document is something like,
While this supplement seeks to form a more standard way for the Game Master to build deity/religion specific clerics (priests), it is not necessarily meant to be followed in a dogmatic way. These are guidelines and suggestions to assist the Game Master in building unique clerical types. The GM should feel free to adjust particulars of this system in order to best suit his campaign and play style."
I think I can use this text verbatim (granted it's open to reuse)
Solomoriah wrote:One thing to think about...

A GM might pick this supplement to create his or her own custom clerics, and that's cool. Or... a player might get it, design a killer munchkin cleric, and then browbeat the GM into allowing it based on our support of the supplement.

No, I'm not saying not to release it, or that it's a bad idea. I think it's a very good idea, honestly. But I'm saying we need to be careful that whatever you can create with this supplement is as balanced as we can make it, or at least, the possible damage to the campaign is limited somehow.
Oh, absolutely.
This was thought as a GM only toolkit.
(You'll notice I never once address players as the document's intended target audience)
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Later i will expand my statement to address solo's concern as well. I am out right now.
artikid

Post by artikid »

I invite everyone interested to post in this thread the most outrageously munchkiny cleric build they can create using the Specialty Priest supplement as it is right now.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Excellent testing method! Look for weaknesses, then fix them. As a computer programmer, I heartily approve.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

While this supplement seeks to form a more standard way for the Game Master to build deity/religion specific clerics (priests), it is not necessarily meant to be followed in a dogmatic way. These are guidelines and suggestions to assist the Game Master in building unique clerical types. The GM should feel free to adjust particulars of this system in order to best suit his campaign and play style. As such, these guidelines are specifically not meant for players to individualize their cleric characters themselves; they simply have to go with options the GM has developed for his campaign (if at all). Deciding what options, including classes (or variants), to include in a game is solely the decision of the Game Master. "
Does that convey the ideas appropriately?
and yes, certainly you can use my wording (with or without further editing).