Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Post by Solomoriah »

Yes, bone golems gain immunity from their golem-ish nature.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Solo,

Pg 3 How to Create a Player Character paragraph 7

Should the race limits of d6 for Elf and Halfling be mentioned here too? Also the Halfling stats on page 6 say, “Halflings never roll larger than six-sided dice (d6) for hit points regardless of class.”, does this mean that Halfling thieves get a d6 instead of a d4?

Currently - Roll the hit die appropriate for your class, adding your Constitution bonus or penalty, and note the result as your hit points on your character sheet.

Proposed - Roll the hit die appropriate for your race and/or class, which ever uses a lower die, adding your Constitution bonus or penalty, and note the result as your hit points on your character sheet.

Pg 7 Clerics second paragraph

There are 1st level spells listed on page 15 and the table in the Encounter section shows that 1st level Clerics can turn undead.

Current - Clerics can cast spells of divine nature starting at 2nd level, and they have the power to Turn the Undead, that is, to drive away undead monsters by means of faith alone (see the Encounter section for details).

Proposed - Clerics can cast spells of divine nature starting at 1st level, and they have the power to Turn the Undead, that is, to drive away undead monsters by means of faith alone (see the Encounter section for details).

Equipment Cost pg 10

I’m also trying to get the prices in the Equipment Emporium to match the prices of Equipment in the Core Rules. One thing I found that is troubling me is the cost of a 128 page Spellbook in the Core Rules is 25 gp, the price in the Equipment Emporium is currently 100 gp. Since there are over 100 pages and a single sheet of paper is 1gp (see the same table) the Spellbook is a very good deal in the Core Rules. Which price do you want to use? Or should both be higher in price to reflect the number of pages and the fact that it is hardbound and the paper should be better quality to handle the spell power?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Clerics not getting their spells until 2nd level is a particular quirk of the inspirational source material.

Keeping that intact, then perhaps the wording ought to be something more like:
Clerics have the power to Turn the Undead, that is, to drive away undead monsters by means of faith alone, and starting at 2nd level can cast spells of divine nature.

all in the order. what one gets at first level, then what gets added at second level. The current wording is quirky and perhaps slightly more difficult to grasp if all new to the game.

as to the equipment "spellbook". I think the starting MU ought to have one as understood as part of his apprenticeship or initial studies (perhaps dropping it from the equipment list). Then, as you point out 100gp being justified according to pages etc. ought to be the replacement cost for an all new spell book. Just my 2cents here.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

“Halflings never roll larger than six-sided dice (d6) for hit points regardless of class.”
Means that if the class has a die higher than d6 it is limited to a d6, this only affects Halfling Warriors unless sub-classes or similar are used.

"Clerics can cast spells of divine nature starting at 2nd level, and they have the power to Turn the Undead, that is, to drive away undead monsters by means of faith alone (see the Encounter section for details)."
Clerics can Turn Undead from Level one, but they can't cast spells until Level 2 where they can cast Level 1 spells, do not confuse a spell level with a class level.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Smoot and Dimi have answered rightly on the rules. I'll consider revising these bits, but considering the fact that these questions are rarely if ever asked, I don't see the need to move quickly on any revisions.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

P.146 :

In the table, Lizard man is spelled in one word (lizardman). In the rest of the book, it is spelled in two words (Lizard man).
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

As mentioned in CS1 thread, Ring of Control Human may need to be re-named.
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

chiisu81 wrote:As mentioned in CS1 thread, Ring of Control Human may need to be re-named.
The Potion of Control Human is the same.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Not renamed, rewritten. The description is wrong, I'm fairly certain.

Amazing how a game in print for almost a decade can still have errors we haven't found yet.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

ACK. Okay, so I just got around to looking up the Ring of Human Control. To wit:
Control Human: The wearer of this ring may cast the spell charm person at any target he or she can see within 60'. The wearer can use this power once per round, at will, but cannot control more than 6 hit dice of creatures at a time; however, the wearer may choose to end the effect for one or more controlled creatures at any time, in order to “free” enough hit dice to control a new target.
The "6 hit dice" refers to a number of targets. The spell is still charm person... only "person"-type monsters are affected, i.e. orcs, goblins, gnolls, etc. in addition to normal NPC races. But if you are charming orcs, you only get a maximum of 6 of them, less if you charm some leader-types. Gnolls with 2 hit dice limit you to a maximum of 3 of them.