Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Post by Dimirag »

artikid wrote:No Cause Disease spell in BFRPG?
Maybe because its a complicated spell if not fully described? There's tons of diseases to just give a short guideline inside the spell.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Snowgen

Post by Snowgen »

I don't know if this has been reported before (I searched but didn't find anything). On p.13 (r107) both Galley vessels and the Longship have two rates listed under "Miles per Day" but the "Notes regarding vehicles" makes no mention of what the two different rates are. I also looked under "Waterborne Travel" section on p.38 and still couldn't find anything.

So, um... anyone know what the different rates are for?
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Snowgen wrote:I don't know if this has been reported before (I searched but didn't find anything). On p.13 (r107) both Galley vessels and the Longship have two rates listed under "Miles per Day" but the "Notes regarding vehicles" makes no mention of what the two different rates are. I also looked under "Waterborne Travel" section on p.38 and still couldn't find anything.

So, um... anyone know what the different rates are for?
From page 13 in the description for Galley the first sentence, "Galleys are equipped with both sails and oars; the second listed movement rate for galleys is the rowing speed." So the first number is the speed using sail and the second is the speed using rowers.
Snowgen

Post by Snowgen »

AlMan wrote:From page 13 in the description for Galley the first sentence, "Galleys are equipped with both sails and oars; the second listed movement rate for galleys is the rowing speed." So the first number is the speed using sail and the second is the speed using rowers.
Thanks, AlMan!

I was looking up the info for the Longship and there was nothing mentioned there, so I looked in the more general places that I mentioned rather than looking at a ship I wasn't interested in.

Thanks again!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'll clarify... either we need to write a description for that spell, or remove the star. Anyone wanting to contribute the text of Cause Disease can do so here; when we have it edited into shape, I'll incorporate it into the R108 document I'm working on now.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
artikid

Post by artikid »

Solomoriah wrote:I'll clarify... either we need to write a description for that spell, or remove the star. Anyone wanting to contribute the text of Cause Disease can do so here; when we have it edited into shape, I'll incorporate it into the R108 document I'm working on now.
I'll post the expanded spell description within a couple of days
artikid

Post by artikid »

So, what do you think?
Cure disease cures all diseases that the subject is suffering from.
The spell also kills parasites afflicting the target creature. Certain special diseases may not be countered by this spell or may be countered only by a caster of a certain level or higher.

Note: This spell does not prevent reinfection after a new exposure to the same disease.

The reverse form of this spell, cause disease, causes the creature affected by it to suffer from an ailing -and potentially deadly- disease for the next 2d6 days. A successful attack roll is required in this case, and no Saving Throw is allowed. The target immediately loses 1d6 Constitution points.
While the disease is in effect, the victim must roll a daily Saving Throw versus Spells or lose 1 Constitution point. The victim also can not heal from wounds unless cured with magic, recover Constitution points nor prepare spells. At the end of this period the affected character, if still alive, is free of the illness and can start recovering Hit Points, Constitution points, and can again prepare spells. Assign a Constitution score of 8 plus its HD number to any NPC Who has no Constitution score if one is required to determine the effects of this spell.
Unliving creatures are not affected by a Cause Disease spell.
EDIT: changed how the Spell works.
artikid

Post by artikid »

PS:
Is the spell too powerfull? Change all d6s to d4s.
Is it too weak?.... hmmmm no idea.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm not going to comment on the spell just yet; hoping to see some other opinions first.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
artikid

Post by artikid »

Hi
I can see how bean-counting Constitution points for NPCs may not look appealing, so here is another take:
Cure disease cures all diseases that the subject is suffering from.
The spell also kills parasites afflicting the target creature. Certain special diseases may not be countered by this spell or may be countered only by a caster of a certain level or higher.

Note: This spell does not prevent reinfection after a new exposure to the same disease.

The reverse form of this spell, cause disease, causes the creature affected by it to suffer from an ailing -and potentially deadly- disease for the next 1d10 days. A successful attack roll is required in this case, and no Saving Throw is allowed. The target suffers a -2 penalty to attack rolls, Armor Class and Saving Throws.
While the disease is in effect, the victim also cannot benefit from natural recovery of Hit Points or Constitution points nor prepare spells or move at running speed.
At the end of each day in which the victim exerted itself (for example by fighting, traveling, working or doing magical research), the character must roll a Saving Throw versus Spells or suffer 1d6 damage points.
Once the duration of the spell is over, the affected character, if still alive, is free of the illness and can start recovering Hit Points, Constitution points, and can again prepare spells.