Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Post by Solomoriah »

XP for fire-breathing hydras should be more, but no, it's not normally in the statblock. And yes, the AC and HD are keyed to the number of heads, and no, I didn't explain it.

Probably I should... I'll amend my working copy, but you should know that there will not be a new print release of the core rules for a long time yet to come.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Don't worry, it was more a doubt and heads up. Thanks for the clarifications Solo.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

This is something that could potentially affect all of the Field Guides :o :

The Skeleton has a "(see bellow)" text on its AC, but no info is given that can change the AC...
-Should this be ignore/removed?
-Should it have a text about armors?
-Is it came from their damage resistance? If so, lots of creatures should have the above text, so I'm hopping its not the case...
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

"See below" in that context refers to the special damage resistances of a skeleton. The AC per se does not change, but the damage from a successful attack is different.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

It was the one I was hopping not to :cry:
This means that every creature with similar damage resistance on the FGs must include the "(see below)" text...
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

I was looking for some information while reviewing FG2 and noticed these issues:

Basic Fantasy Core Rules version 3

Throughout the rules there are different spellings of chain mail
chain mail
chainmail

Throughout the rules there are different spellings of plate mail.
plate mail
platemail

Throughout the rules there are different spellings of pole-arm.
pole arm
polearm

Throughout the rules there are different spellings of Lizard man.
Lizard man
Lizardman

Having a consistent spelling in the Core Rules will make having the other references and modules consistent too.
lukems

Post by lukems »

Possible issues:
  • Fish, Giant Barracuda: At the description, instead of "Giant barracudas always appear singly ..." should it be "Huge ...", according to their 'No. Appearing'? Giant Barracuda's AC is 16 while Huge's AC is 15, are they be swapped (usually ac increases with hit dices, somewhat linearly)? Also prolly swaped: "Huge barracudas are about 12' long, while giant specimens can exceed 20'."
(I'm converting some documents, so maybe I'll notice some more irrelevant stuffs like that and add them here :D )
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

lukems wrote:Fish, Giant Barracuda: At the description, instead of "Giant barracudas always appear singly ..." should it be "Huge ...", according to their 'No. Appearing'? Giant Barracuda's AC is 16 while Huge's AC is 15, are they be swapped (usually ac increases with hit dices, somewhat linearly)? Also prolly swaped: "Huge barracudas are about 12' long, while giant specimens can exceed 20'."
At first I was confused, reading your post; after reviewing the rules, I think you might be confused. You seem to think that "Huge" is bigger than "Giant." If I have that wrong, I'm sorry, but it's the only way I can read your post that makes sense to me.

Giant Barracudas are solitary, inasmuch as it's hard for a predator that big to get enough to eat; they need to command large feeding grounds, so they don't share if they don't have to. Huge Barracudas are less solitary, for the same reason. Thus the number appearing.

The AC does seem odd, until you see that the Giant Barracuda has a turning distance of 10'. It's just less maneuverable, so even though it's a bigger monster, it's a little bit easier to hit than the Huge variety. Hence the AC.

The situation is much the same for the given lengths... the Giant Barracuda is the biggest one of them all.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Solomoriah wrote:The AC does seem odd, until you see that the Giant Barracuda has a turning distance of 10'. It's just less maneuverable, so even though it's a bigger monster, it's a little bit easier to hit than the Huge variety. Hence the AC.
Attachments
chiicanteven.gif
chiicanteven.gif (1.42 MiB) Viewed 5958 times
lukems

Post by lukems »

Solomoriah wrote:
lukems wrote:Fish, Giant Barracuda: At the description, instead of "Giant barracudas always appear singly ..." should it be "Huge ...", according to their 'No. Appearing'? Giant Barracuda's AC is 16 while Huge's AC is 15, are they be swapped (usually ac increases with hit dices, somewhat linearly)? Also prolly swaped: "Huge barracudas are about 12' long, while giant specimens can exceed 20'."
At first I was confused, reading your post; after reviewing the rules, I think you might be confused. You seem to think that "Huge" is bigger than "Giant." If I have that wrong, I'm sorry, but it's the only way I can read your post that makes sense to me.

Giant Barracudas are solitary, inasmuch as it's hard for a predator that big to get enough to eat; they need to command large feeding grounds, so they don't share if they don't have to. Huge Barracudas are less solitary, for the same reason. Thus the number appearing.

The AC does seem odd, until you see that the Giant Barracuda has a turning distance of 10'. It's just less maneuverable, so even though it's a bigger monster, it's a little bit easier to hit than the Huge variety. Hence the AC.

The situation is much the same for the given lengths... the Giant Barracuda is the biggest one of them all.
Ah, right... :oops: My English is far from perfect, so thank you for clarifying that for me.