Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Post by SmootRK »

artikid wrote:Hi
I can see how bean-counting Constitution points for NPCs may not look appealing, so here is another take:
Cure disease cures all diseases that the subject is suffering from.
The spell also kills parasites afflicting the target creature. Certain special diseases may not be countered by this spell or may be countered only by a caster of a certain level or higher.

Note: This spell does not prevent reinfection after a new exposure to the same disease.

The reverse form of this spell, cause disease, causes the creature affected by it to suffer from an ailing -and potentially deadly- disease for the next 1d10 days. A successful attack roll is required in this case, and no Saving Throw is allowed. The target suffers a -2 penalty to attack rolls, Armor Class and Saving Throws.
While the disease is in effect, the victim also cannot benefit from natural recovery of Hit Points or Constitution points nor prepare spells or move at running speed.
At the end of each day in which the victim exerted itself (for example by fighting, traveling, working or doing magical research), the character must roll a Saving Throw versus Spells or suffer 1d6 damage points.
Once the duration of the spell is over, the affected character, if still alive, is free of the illness and can start recovering Hit Points, Constitution points, and can again prepare spells.
I like a flat effect that can be used against anything without doing anything to count or keep up with constitution, especially for those foes that don't have an official CON score.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
artikid

Post by artikid »

SmootRK wrote: I like a flat effect that can be used against anything without doing anything to count or keep up with constitution, especially for those foes that don't have an official CON score.
Me too, that's why I came up with the second version.
The first one I wrote after re-reading the paragraph on Constitution score loss in the core rules (it alluded to diseases as a common cause of Con loss).
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

How about making it generate Energy Drain on the victim for 1 level per day for a number of days equal to the caster level with a Spell ST modified by CON to prevent the Energy Loss for that day?

May 2nd option: If caster level is greater than victim's HD/Level by 4 he inflicts a lethal disease (ST or die after 2d6 days) if not, he inflicts a debilitating disease (ST or same penalties as 1 Energy Drained for 2d6 days)
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
artikid

Post by artikid »

Dimirag wrote:How about making it generate Energy Drain on the victim for 1 level per day for a number of days equal to the caster level with a Spell ST modified by CON to prevent the Energy Loss for that day?

May 2nd option: If caster level is greater than victim's HD/Level by 4 he inflicts a lethal disease (ST or die after 2d6 days) if not, he inflicts a debilitating disease (ST or same penalties as 1 Energy Drained for 2d6 days)
I had thought of Energy Drain, but it's a can of worms. Would Restore heal those negative levels?
In the original game there was a higher level spell that Drained Energy (one or two levels, no save I think). Your suggestion would make Cause Disease potentially way more powerful.
I'd rather chose your second option if not using my version of the spell.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Energy Drain can be temporary, you could add that those levels can't be restores while the disease is in effect and that after that are regained by 1 per day of complete rest
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Energy Drain as a spell is a higher level effect, is it not?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
artikid

Post by artikid »

Solomoriah wrote:Energy Drain as a spell is a higher level effect, is it not?
I think in AD&D it was a 7th level spell, it drained one level only with no save.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Solomoriah wrote:Energy Drain as a spell is a higher level effect, is it not?
As a permanent effect yes, as a temporary effect with the chance of not happening? Maybe
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

The effect could be similar, you just set off alarm bells in many minds referencing such high power effects. That said, an energy drain lasting days is nearly as bad as permanent when it comes to application against monsters/foes.... they will likely be defeated by characters by time it runs its course.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

But, on the original proposition its not similar, its worst, the victim suffers from similar penalties but can't be avoided (no ST allowed), can't use any spell (instead of just one of his higher level ones), plus can's recover HP and, unless he stays out of activity, suffers damage.
Using Energy Drain in a weakened form helps with using know effects and saves description space, plus, getting your energies drained by a disease is not a weird mechanic.