BF3 Strongholds of Sorcery

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Longman

Re: Strongholds of Sorcery

Post by Longman »

and a new post above...

18 - Laboratory 1

Boxed: A large square room has numerous items positioned on the floor in each 5' square: an old metal bucket, a large pottery vessel, a glass tube, a leather sack, a wooden box, and finally, a cube made of paper. Around each item is a circle of blue chalk worth some runes inscribed in each circle. There is also a large metal tray with a decent quantity of aqua lumina in it, positioned right next to the door.

This room was where Lidddan nu Maddaar was testing the resistance of various substances to the effects of aqua lumina. Another squad of 4 leaded skeletons is here, putting the aqua lumina in pottery vessels and into their backpacks. They will probably (3 in 6) become alert to a combat further east and come to join in, so may be encountered at the same time as the squad outside room 17.

Room 19 - Laboratory 2

Boxed: Another large laboratory / experiment room has large tables running down each side and along the far wall. On the north wall is positioned a series of 7 metallic devices - four helmets and three metal tubes. On the south wall are two suits of leather armor, one of which is in pieces, the other complete. Metal containers of aqua lumina stand next to the suits. On the far (western) bench is a series of glass beakers with a small quantity of aqua lumina in each, and a large brass brazier and some coal. A book on the western bench contains notes in the desert language, as well as four vials.

The skeletons have not got to this room yet and the door is still closed, although not locked. The helmets and tubes (torches) are light devices that both deliver beams of light for 60' when activated by a simple switch. Both types will operate indefinitely. This is one of the original wizard's successful experiments with the power of the magic sand. The suits of armor have been treated with the remedy to resist the aqua lumina and anyone who wears one will be totally immune to its effects while in the upper level. The 4 vials contain the remedy - a bad tasting liquid that will render the drinker immune to radiation for 4 hours. The logbook - with notes in the desert language of Liddan nu Maddar - details the means to make this remedy, by mixing the sand with water, heating at high temperature, and casting dispel magic on it while it is in the super-heated state.
Longman

Post by Longman »

3rd new post -

still waiting to do a full edit - You were going to do the tower rooms right? That's the one with the cauldron that exploded?

Is the regular aqua lumina harmful or just the stuff in the exploded cauldron?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yeah, the tower rooms are my problem.

Aqua Lumina is like nuclear fire in liquid form. Always bad for you.

I'll try to get back to this in the next few days and put it all together. Thanks for all the work, Longman!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
PapersAndPaychecks

Post by PapersAndPaychecks »

House of Coldarius, Room #20.

20. Crematorium:-

[box]
A brushing sound comes from behind this door, like a floor being swept.
[/box]

The crematorium is tended by an outcast fire giant called Calbani. He was born misshapen, with very short legs and a crooked spine. One of his shoulders is more than a foot higher than the other. The left side of his face hangs limply, the eye staring into space, with a string of drool running from the left corner of his mouth through his beard; but the right eye is alive with a penetrating, restless intelligence.

Calbani thinks of himself as small and weak, because other fire giants always told him he was. In fact, he has all the strength of a full-sized fire giant, and twice the malice:-

Calbani, AC 17 or 13 (see below), HD 11+2, #AT 1, dam 5d6, Mv 20, Sv F11, ML9, xp 1,670
HP 44 ]]]]] ]]]]] ]]]]] ]]]]] ]]]]] ]]]]] ]]]]] ]]]]] ]]]]

When the party arrives in the House of Coldarius, the stunted giant will be sweeping up ash in the crematorium. He lives and works here, and sleeps in the embers, which are pleasantly warm for a fire giant. His battle-armour and two-handed warhammer will be behind the door.

If Calbani has heard the party coming (e.g. they made loud noises on the ground floor), he will be fully-armoured when they reach the door to his crematorium. He will attack them if they come in. If they bypass the room, then he will open the door and attack them while they are on the stairs up to the next level.

If the PCs have approached with stealth and caution, then they will open the door to find him wearing a light cotton smock and carrying a large broom. Calbani will cower and cringe and apologise, feigning servile stupidity, and he will beg the party to spare his life. If they do not attack him then he will invite them into his crematorium where he will promise to share "Master's secret" with them. In fact, this is simply a ploy; Calbani is trying to get the characters into the room such that he is between them and the door. If he succeeds he will grab his colossal hammer from behind the door and try to hit the most lightly-armoured character for 5d6 damage. Then he will try to get out of the door and hold it closed while yelling for his master.

If he is reduced to 12 hp or fewer, Calbani will flee if he can, and surrender if he cannot. His sack contains 19,330 silver pieces and a silver bauble set with chalcedony. The bauble sounds hollow if tapped.

This bauble is the prison for the Seven Wraiths of Amuscar. They cannot get out unless the bauble is broken, but if someone is so unwise as to do that, the wraiths will feast:-

Wraiths, AC15, HD 4, #AT 1, dam 1d6+level drain, Mv 80, Sv F4, ML 12, xp 320 each
HP 17 each
]]]]] ]]]]] ]]]]] ]]
]]]]] ]]]]] ]]]]] ]]
]]]]] ]]]]] ]]]]] ]]
]]]]] ]]]]] ]]]]] ]]
]]]]] ]]]]] ]]]]] ]]
]]]]] ]]]]] ]]]]] ]]
]]]]] ]]]]] ]]]]] ]]

The bauble while sealed is cool or cold to the touch. If held up to the ear, the listening character will be able to faintly hear the wraiths' voices ---- they will tell whatever lie or story seems likely to get them released, pretending to be the innocent spirits of children or some such thing.

A local temple of good has been looking for this bauble for quite some time. A bounty of 5,000gp is available for its safe (intact) delivery to the temple, which wishes to question the Seven Wraiths concerning certain events that took place at Amuscar all those years ago, and then arrange for their safe and permanent dispatch.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Longman: I'm incorporating the room 5 and 18 materials, but I'm holding back on room 19. I feel like there is too much aqua lumina if I use both labs the way you've written them. Also, the boxed text should include the monsters in the room if they are visible, and should not call aqua lumina by name (as the player characters won't initially know what it is). Otherwise, pretty good stuff.

I think that second lab needs something interesting in it. Something worth braving the dangers of the lower level... but maybe something time-consuming to collect (thus increasing the adventurer's exposure).

Stuart: Good stuff as usual. I've edited it a bit, but it didn't need much. In particular, the room isn't big enough for a fire giant unless he's a runt, so I changed "misshapen" to "misshapen runt."

I'll post a new version tonight or tomorrow. Thanks guys!
Longman

Post by Longman »

Cheers. Did you post the new version yet? If so, I missed it.

I'll have a crack at editing it all and adding in new stuff if needed, once I see it.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Looks as if I did forget to post it. Uploading now.
PapersAndPaychecks

No! Bad thread! No dropping off the front page for you.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

It fell off again...

Good news, P&P, I've begun working on this again. I'm down to page 28 (that is, the page with that number, not the actual 28th page) and I think everything down to that point is good. I've been filling in empty rooms, mostly. If you (or anyone else) have ideas for things to put in "empty" rooms, please post your ideas here.

Strongholds of Sorcery is once again on the radar. R19 is being uploaded to the first post in the thread right now...
PapersAndPaychecks

Okay...

1) A judge's wig, value 50gp. This particular wig is infested with biting vermin, and anyone who puts it on will suffer an extremely itchy scalp. After frantic head-scratching destroys their hairstyle, they will lose 1 point of charisma until they receive a cure disease spell or shave off every hair on their body. (Characters willing to take extreme measures to avoid shaving, such as dwarfs, can also eradicate the vermin by enormous quantities of smoke -- for example, standing in a fish-smoking chamber for an hour would do it.)

2) A platter of biscuits, ready to put in the oven but as yet unbaked. These particular biscuits have been prepared by one of the castle's less sane cooks, and contain experimental ingredients; if baked they will taste foul.

3) A stuffed macaque, value 25gp. It has been stabbed in the back with a dagger of some kind. The resulting rent has been hastily repaired by someone inexperienced with a needle.