BF3 Strongholds of Sorcery

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Re: Strongholds of Sorcery

Post by SmootRK »

Brother Marcel is technically a cleric, but does not appear as the typical priestly sort. For a deity of light, Brother Marcel wears a wide brimmed hat and dark garb adorned strange extra pieces such as steel collar, a bandolier of holy water vials, and wooden stakes attached at key locations for easy access. You see, Brother Marcel is a hunter of undead beings. His demeanor is grim and direct, and one should not expect any flowery sermons from this cleric.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, now extra credit:

Part 1 -- If you have stats for the character you've provided, throw 'em in. I don't need the character's entire history (or entire equipment list, heaven help us all), just the parts that will be needed in the module.

Part 2 -- All the NPCs in Castle D'Angelo are insane. Nuts, even. What's wrong with your candidate? Delusions are all the rage right now, but don't feel limited by that.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:Okay, now extra credit:

Part 1 -- If you have stats for the character you've provided, throw 'em in. I don't need the character's entire history (or entire equipment list, heaven help us all), just the parts that will be needed in the module.

Part 2 -- All the NPCs in Castle D'Angelo are insane. Nuts, even. What's wrong with your candidate? Delusions are all the rage right now, but don't feel limited by that.
I made up those two on the spot, so no stats... any set chosen for the appropriate class will do.

As far as insanities:
Cinder is clearly a good candidate for a pyromaniac. I could also see irrational fear of water in quantities greater than one might bathe with or in.

I could see Brother Marcel as rather delusional and paranoid about undead... often thinking that just about everybody he meets is tainted with undead. All dead bodies need to be prepped as if infected (stake through heart, heads removed, mouth filled with holy wafers, and buried in vertical graves with feet up, etc.). If vampire fear is not good for the setting, then he could be tweaked out as a witch-finder... ready to go all inquisition on anyone accused of witchery.
Ynas Midgard

Post by Ynas Midgard »

SmootRK wrote: Cinder is clearly a good candidate for a pyromaniac. I could also see irrational fear of water in quantities greater than one might bathe with or in.
How about any quantity greater than a litre? :P That would be even crazier.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Bathing with water? Insanity. Why would I do that when I've got magic!
>FWOOSH!<

Feel like going a little meta?
Gurgrac and Akrac, a pair of kobolds. They're both dressed in (human sized) wizard robes, are carrying large books, and arguing loudly about their geneology. One, carrying a book on coastal creatures has his ears tucked under his hat, and insists they're really dragons with a glandular condition.

The other, carrying a book on chess (or its local counterpart) is wearing a fake beard, and insists that they're some sort of mine spirit with a silver fixation.

They will argue for a time, get into a fight, swap books (and beard), then start again from the other side.
Go with a smile!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Ynas Midgard wrote:
SmootRK wrote: Cinder is clearly a good candidate for a pyromaniac. I could also see irrational fear of water in quantities greater than one might bathe with or in.
How about any quantity greater than a litre? :P That would be even crazier.
Indeed... and I like the magic for cleaning thing. Cantrip!
PapersAndPaychecks

Post by PapersAndPaychecks »

92. WEST CORRIDOR:

[boxed text]
Standing in this corridor is a disparate group. There are seven of them:- a female dwarf with a hammer who is wearing plate armour; a male elf in a very shiny mailshirt with a longbow; a female elf in a green silk gown who is holding what looks like a wand; two male humans in plate armour; a huge male with protruding tusks who appears to be a full-blooded ogre; and a female halfling with a shortsword who is wearing a leather coat.

They have seen you, and the male elf yells: "There they are!"
[/boxed text]

These seven characters appear to be an adventuring party. They will claim to have been sent to rescue the player characters; their position is that the characters have gone mad and are, in fact, wandering around a local town, opening people's front doors and looking around in their houses. They will claim that nothing the party can see is real. They want the party to sheathe their weapons and come quietly to see the local healer.

In reality these seven are minions of Khaadk. They want to confuse and bamboozle the party, as part of a ploy to delay them until they fail a saving throw and go mad.

Doppelgangers: (stats) (lots of little boxes)

The seven dopplegangers will try to lock the party in one of the laboratories if possible.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

I don't have Lillith's stats anymore and they were for a different game anyway.

Delusions might not be the best thing to call it, but Lillith's difficulty with humans and demihumans and affinity for monsters causes her a great deal of anxiety-- proof, she often mutters to Squeaky, that she is one herself.
PapersAndPaychecks

Post by PapersAndPaychecks »

105. ENGINE OF ENCHANTMENT:

[boxed text]
This room contains two booths connected by some kind of magical machinery. There is what seems to be a glass wand about a foot long on the floor in front of the booths.
[/boxed text]

This device is the Engine of Enchantment, and the wand is the Designator. The Designator has 44 charges when found. Together, they can be used to transfer enchantments from one item to another. For example, a character who has a shield +2 and a non-magical sword can use the Engine of Enchantment to make a sword +2. The process works as follows:-

First stage: The user puts the source item into the left-hand booth. The source item must hold an enchantment. The user also puts a matrix into the right-hand booth. The matrix must be a gemstone, but the type varies according to the enchantment to be transferred:
  • +1 item: emerald worth at least 500 gp
  • +2 item: sapphire worth at least 1000 gp
  • +3 item: ruby worth at least 5000 gp
  • Miscellaneous magic item: diamond worth at least 2000 gp
  • Cursed item: Lump of coal
Second stage: The user touches the matrix with the Designator. The source item crumbles to dust (no saving throw), unless it is an artifact or relic in which case it is unaffected but the matrix is destroyed. At this point the matrix holds the enchantment that was previously within the item. Deduct one charge from the Designator.

Third stage: The character puts the matrix in the left-hand booth and the target item into the right-hand booth. The target item must be unenchanted.

Fourth stage: The user touches the target item with the Designator. The matrix crumbles to dust and the target item becomes enchanted. Deduct another charge from the Designator.

If the wrong matrix is used, then the source item is destroyed and the matrix remains unenchanted.

Certain items will require multiple matrices, so for example if the character has a sword +1, +3 vs trolls then it can be made into a mace +1, +3 vs trolls but the process will require both a 500gp emerald and a 5,000gp ruby.

The characters may be able to figure out how to work the Engine of Enchantment, particularly if they have the benefit of magical assistance, but failing that, Pons understands the process. If the characters conclude this adventure successfully then Pons will permit them to use the Engine, although they must supply the gems from their own resources!

At the GM's option, the Engine of Enchantment may be able to recharge wands using garnets or peridots (minimum value 100gp per gem, one charge per gem). It may also be able to create potions of healing from pieces of amber, potions of extra-healing from pearls, etc.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Nice. I've snagged this for the module, and added a book to the library in Roland's Tower regarding the device.

Thanks!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org