BF3 Strongholds of Sorcery

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Cryanhall

Re: BF3 Strongholds of Sorcery

Post by Cryanhall »

If you can give me through the weekend I can get through the rest of it. The rest of Tower of Light looked good to me.
Cryanhall

Post by Cryanhall »

Checking in. I found a few very minor things and at least one more significant error.

I’ll post my list late tonight in one post. Just giving an update.
Cryanhall

Post by Cryanhall »

Okay, fingers crossed. Here are my latest notes/edits for R40. First of all, I only gave "Castle D'Angelo" a very cursory review. I just looked for major flaws. I've been over that one pretty thoroughly a couple of times now and if I haven't caught it yet, it's not likely I would catch it with another look.

I went over the rest more carefully because I hadn't done a close review since R37. I tried to be as nitpicky as possible just in case. For the most part it looks good. There were only a few errors that I think really need to be fixed (I highlighted these red below). The rest fall under a subjective call, most of which are due to the monster listings not having either an asterisk or double dagger (or both) to indicate magic or special attacks are required as they do in the core book or Field Guide. Feel free to ignore all of these.

I included my last notes about "The Tower of Light" just to keep it all together.

The Tower of Light

• Pg. 71, Leaded Skeletons: Aqua Lumina is not italicized
• Pg. 73, Guardroom: Caldemere’s name is in bold. His name, as well as Anita and Jendrich isn’t bolded anywhere else except the Foes section.
Pg. 77, Bedroom: Liddan Nu Madar is still misspelled as Maddur twice.

House of Coldarius

• Pg. 81, Foes: Should there be an asterisk after Predmore’s listing? Just to remind that he can only be hit with magic weapons?
• Pg. 82, Random Encounters, Amiphelia Ghost: Should there be an asterisk after the name like in the listing in the core book to remind she can only be hit with magic weapons? I know the double dagger after the AC does the same thing, so no big deal.
• Pg. 82, Strategy Notes: The second-to-last sentence in the second paragraph mentions the flesh golem is in area 7. This should probably be either level 7 or area 37.
• Pg. 83, 7. Kennels: Just a question, the last sentence of the second paragraph of unboxed text says the doors between area 10 and the stairwell are left open. Does this mean the doors between area 7 and area 10 (including the stairwell) are open? Or should area 10 in the passage be area 7? It’s not too much different either way I guess.
• Pg. 85, 9. Cistern: “Animated skeletons” is in bold. It’s the only place it’s bold in the module and it’s used several times. This isn’t that important, but I’m not sure why some monsters are in bold and others not. “Plague hounds” on pg. 84 is in bold for instance (possibly because it’s in the Field Guide), but the leaded skeletons in “Tower of Light” (also in the Field Guide) are not. Again, not really important. I get that the bold is just intended to call attention to it while running the module.
• Pg. 90, 20. Crematorium: Like the above note for pg. 82 Random Encounters, should there be an asterisk after the wraiths name?
• Pg. 91, 25. Officer’s Quarters: “Basic Fantasy Field Guide” is not bold or italicized. It appears elsewhere throughout the book with and without a bold font and with and without italicization. Not a big deal, just a consistency issue.
• Pg. 91, 25. Officer’s Quarters: In the second sentence of the last paragraph before the stat block, “as much of the monster’s treasure” should be “as much of the monsters’ treasure” since it’s a plural possessive.
• Pg. 93, 29. Bedroom: Rafaela’s stat block doesn’t contain any spells. If adding it would break the flow, I’d vote not to include it. It’s easy enough for a GM to give her Read Magic and a couple of other 1st level spells.
• Pg. 95, 34. Bedroom: The mummy stat block doesn’t have an asterisk after the name or a double dagger after the AC to indicate damage inflicted by only magic weapons, fire, or spells.
• Pg. 97, 37. Corridor: No asterisk or double dagger in the flesh golem’s stat block, but since it explains in the parenthetical after the AC it’s not a big deal.

Thaumerion’s Tower

• Pg. 101, What’s Going On Here?: The last sentence on this page should be “thus the old wizard still lives in his office and laboratory on level 8b,” not “level 8a” (where the Harem is).
• Pg. 107, 13. Conjuring Room: Nylin the Succubus’ stat block doesn’t have an asterisk, but it does have the double dagger and mentions the restrictions to hit, so really not an issue.
• Pg. 109, 18. Storage Room: The bone golems’ stat blocks don’t have an asterisk, but it does have the double dagger, so really not an issue.
• Pg. 113, 23. The Wizard’s Office: This is really just a question. I noticed the troll mummies didn’t have either an asterisk or a double dagger in their stat block. Unlike normal mummies, can they be hit by normal weapons?
• Pg. 113, 23. The Wizard’s Office: I also noticed the earth elemental doesn’t have either an asterisk or a double dagger in its stat block. Should it?

That's it. Hopefully R41 will be the final version.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 73, Guardroom: Caldemere’s name is in bold. His name, as well as Anita and Jendrich isn’t bolded anywhere else except the Foes section.
Named monsters/opponents should be bolded.
Pg. 81, Foes: Should there be an asterisk after Predmore’s listing? Just to remind that he can only be hit with magic weapons?
I always include the asterick.
Pg. 82, Random Encounters, Amiphelia Ghost: Should there be an asterisk after the name like in the listing in the core book to remind she can only be hit with magic weapons? I know the double dagger after the AC does the same thing, so no big deal.
Same as above.
Pg. 85, 9. Cistern: “Animated skeletons” is in bold. It’s the only place it’s bold in the module and it’s used several times. This isn’t that important, but I’m not sure why some monsters are in bold and others not. “Plague hounds” on pg. 84 is in bold for instance (possibly because it’s in the Field Guide), but the leaded skeletons in “Tower of Light” (also in the Field Guide) are not. Again, not really important. I get that the bold is just intended to call attention to it while running the module.
Unnamed monsters/opponents should not be bolded. In the field guides I always bolded the monster name the first time it appears for whatever reason.
Pg. 90, 20. Crematorium: Like the above note for pg. 82 Random Encounters, should there be an asterisk after the wraiths name?
See above.
Pg. 91, 25. Officer’s Quarters: “Basic Fantasy Field Guide” is not bold or italicized. It appears elsewhere throughout the book with and without a bold font and with and without italicization. Not a big deal, just a consistency issue.
For titles of BFRPG material, I always bold and capitalize. If Solo agrees, I need to add to the Style Guide.
Pg. 95, 34. Bedroom: The mummy stat block doesn’t have an asterisk after the name or a double dagger after the AC to indicate damage inflicted by only magic weapons, fire, or spells.
See above.
Pg. 97, 37. Corridor: No asterisk or double dagger in the flesh golem’s stat block, but since it explains in the parenthetical after the AC it’s not a big deal.
See above.
Pg. 107, 13. Conjuring Room: Nylin the Succubus’ stat block doesn’t have an asterisk, but it does have the double dagger and mentions the restrictions to hit, so really not an issue.
See above.
Pg. 109, 18. Storage Room: The bone golems’ stat blocks don’t have an asterisk, but it does have the double dagger, so really not an issue.
See above.
Pg. 113, 23. The Wizard’s Office: This is really just a question. I noticed the troll mummies didn’t have either an asterisk or a double dagger in their stat block. Unlike normal mummies, can they be hit by normal weapons?
I wouldn't think being troll versions would make them special, but I'll let others chime in on that one.
Pg. 113, 23. The Wizard’s Office: I also noticed the earth elemental doesn’t have either an asterisk or a double dagger in its stat block. Should it?
Yes it should, to match its entry in the Core Rules (p. 78)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ack. I planned to have this done by now. Real life has stepped in...

I do prefer not to use asterisks after names of monsters where they appear in adventures. The asterisk after the name in the rules is intended to help the GM identify tougher threats; in a module, the writer should have already considered that and instructed the GM in the introduction if special arrangements are necessary (like, "the party should include a cleric" or some such).
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Cryanhall wrote:Okay, fingers crossed. Here are my latest notes/edits for R40. First of all, I only gave "Castle D'Angelo" a very cursory review. I just looked for major flaws. I've been over that one pretty thoroughly a couple of times now and if I haven't caught it yet, it's not likely I would catch it with another look.

I went over the rest more carefully because I hadn't done a close review since R37. I tried to be as nitpicky as possible just in case. For the most part it looks good. There were only a few errors that I think really need to be fixed (I highlighted these red below). The rest fall under a subjective call, most of which are due to the monster listings not having either an asterisk or double dagger (or both) to indicate magic or special attacks are required as they do in the core book or Field Guide. Feel free to ignore all of these.

I included my last notes about "The Tower of Light" just to keep it all together.

The Tower of Light

• Pg. 71, Leaded Skeletons: Aqua Lumina is not italicized
Fixed.
Cryanhall wrote:• Pg. 73, Guardroom: Caldemere’s name is in bold. His name, as well as Anita and Jendrich isn’t bolded anywhere else except the Foes section.
It was my intention to boldface the names of the NPCs the first time each was mentioned in a room where he or she might be found. I believe I have this done right now.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 77, Bedroom: Liddan Nu Madar is still misspelled as Maddur twice.
Fixed.
Cryanhall wrote:House of Coldarius

• Pg. 81, Foes: Should there be an asterisk after Predmore’s listing? Just to remind that he can only be hit with magic weapons?
No. The asterisk after the name should only appear in listings in the Core Rules and Field Guide, as it is a guide to the GM when planning encounters, not a general warning. The daggers after the AC should cover this adequately.
Cryanhall wrote:• Pg. 82, Random Encounters, Amiphelia Ghost: Should there be an asterisk after the name like in the listing in the core book to remind she can only be hit with magic weapons? I know the double dagger after the AC does the same thing, so no big deal.
As above.
Cryanhall wrote:• Pg. 82, Strategy Notes: The second-to-last sentence in the second paragraph mentions the flesh golem is in area 7. This should probably be either level 7 or area 37.
Fixed.
Cryanhall wrote:• Pg. 83, 7. Kennels: Just a question, the last sentence of the second paragraph of unboxed text says the doors between area 10 and the stairwell are left open. Does this mean the doors between area 7 and area 10 (including the stairwell) are open? Or should area 10 in the passage be area 7? It’s not too much different either way I guess.
None of the above; this part was not completely thought out. I've revised it to make clear that the skeleton will manage the doors for the hounds.
Cryanhall wrote:• Pg. 85, 9. Cistern: “Animated skeletons” is in bold. It’s the only place it’s bold in the module and it’s used several times. This isn’t that important, but I’m not sure why some monsters are in bold and others not. “Plague hounds” on pg. 84 is in bold for instance (possibly because it’s in the Field Guide), but the leaded skeletons in “Tower of Light” (also in the Field Guide) are not. Again, not really important. I get that the bold is just intended to call attention to it while running the module.
Boldfacing the monster name when it first appears in a room description is sometimes done to draw the GM's attention; it's not in the style guide, and should not be, as it's strictly optional. But it should be consistent, and in this case I think removing the bold from both is the best approach. I won't hold the print release just for this kind of thing though, so don't kill yourself looking for other instances.
Cryanhall wrote:• Pg. 90, 20. Crematorium: Like the above note for pg. 82 Random Encounters, should there be an asterisk after the wraiths name?
No, as explained above.
Cryanhall wrote:• Pg. 91, 25. Officer’s Quarters: “Basic Fantasy Field Guide” is not bold or italicized. It appears elsewhere throughout the book with and without a bold font and with and without italicization. Not a big deal, just a consistency issue.
This is an issue, in fact. Italic may be the correct form, but I prefer bold. I've revised all appearances of the text to match. Some instances I just updated are in paragraphs that are italicized, and so are in bold and italic; this should be considered correct in context.
Cryanhall wrote:• Pg. 91, 25. Officer’s Quarters: In the second sentence of the last paragraph before the stat block, “as much of the monster’s treasure” should be “as much of the monsters’ treasure” since it’s a plural possessive.
Fixed. Good catch.
Cryanhall wrote:• Pg. 93, 29. Bedroom: Rafaela’s stat block doesn’t contain any spells. If adding it would break the flow, I’d vote not to include it. It’s easy enough for a GM to give her Read Magic and a couple of other 1st level spells.
The stat block does not include spells because she has none prepared, as explained in the second paragraph on page 93, where the spells in her spellbook are also listed.
Cryanhall wrote:• Pg. 95, 34. Bedroom: The mummy stat block doesn’t have an asterisk after the name or a double dagger after the AC to indicate damage inflicted by only magic weapons, fire, or spells.
Fixed.
Cryanhall wrote:• Pg. 97, 37. Corridor: No asterisk or double dagger in the flesh golem’s stat block, but since it explains in the parenthetical after the AC it’s not a big deal.
Added the double dagger.
Cryanhall wrote:Thaumerion’s Tower

• Pg. 101, What’s Going On Here?: The last sentence on this page should be “thus the old wizard still lives in his office and laboratory on level 8b,” not “level 8a” (where the Harem is).
Ack. Fixed.
Cryanhall wrote:• Pg. 107, 13. Conjuring Room: Nylin the Succubus’ stat block doesn’t have an asterisk, but it does have the double dagger and mentions the restrictions to hit, so really not an issue.
This is correct, so not changed.
Cryanhall wrote:• Pg. 109, 18. Storage Room: The bone golems’ stat blocks don’t have an asterisk, but it does have the double dagger, so really not an issue.
As above.
Cryanhall wrote:• Pg. 113, 23. The Wizard’s Office: This is really just a question. I noticed the troll mummies didn’t have either an asterisk or a double dagger in their stat block. Unlike normal mummies, can they be hit by normal weapons?
No, should be a double dagger. Fixed.
Cryanhall wrote:• Pg. 113, 23. The Wizard’s Office: I also noticed the earth elemental doesn’t have either an asterisk or a double dagger in its stat block. Should it?
Fixed by adding double dagger.

R41 will be uploaded tomorrow, I hope.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Cryanhall wrote:
• Pg. 91, 25. Officer’s Quarters: “Basic Fantasy Field Guide” is not bold or italicized. It appears elsewhere throughout the book with and without a bold font and with and without italicization. Not a big deal, just a consistency issue.
This is an issue, in fact. Italic may be the correct form, but I prefer bold. I've revised all appearances of the text to match. Some instances I just updated are in paragraphs that are italicized, and so are in bold and italic; this should be considered correct in context.
Minor nitpick; now that we have 3 Field Guides, all references should specify which FG to refer to.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

FG2 isn't in print yet. I'm leaving it as is; an updated edition can be done later when FG2 is done.

The plan here is this: I've just uploaded R41. I want to get it in print by mid-February, so please, if you're going to proof this one, do it soon. My goal is to upload the PDF to CreateSpace on Monday, February 12th so as to be able to activate it by the 14th (allowing time for CreateSpace to reject it because of the checkboxes, and then reactivate it after I complain to support).

I couldn't make it by Christmas... so here's hoping I can make it by Valentine's Day.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I can print out r41 and do a read-through for edits starting later today.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Nothing's standing out to me so far.