BF3 Strongholds of Sorcery

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: BF3 Strongholds of Sorcery

Post by Solomoriah »

Sounds good, thanks!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Cryanhall

Post by Cryanhall »

Here are my notes for the very cool, very epic, Felliniesque dreamscape that is “Castle D’Angelo.” Not everything following is strictly a correction. There are some things I bring up more as questions for clarification. I tried to be careful and bring up anything that was questionable. Hopefully I wasn’t too picky in my attempt to be complete.

Pg. 3 of R38, How the Castle Was Built: The text says, “sister Sara … arranged the construction of a two-story keep encompassing the two towers; this structure is areas 9-13.” Shouldn’t this be 9-24 (for the first story) and 45-72 (for the second story)? I only say this because areas 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13 don’t encompass the towers and wouldn’t seem to qualify as a keep by themselves.

In the next paragraph, I think “The remaining construction, consisting of two single story sections (2-6 and 28-33)” should be “2-4” since areas 5 and 6 are included in the following “and the six smaller towers (5-8, 29, and 34).”

Pg. 4 of R38, Experience Awards: In the last paragraph it’s mentioned that a PC in an early playtest who was “blessed” with an INT of 5 failed their saving throw against the insanity wave. This seems contrary to the description of Khaadk’s Power on pg. 3 which states that “his magic affects only intelligent creatures; he chose to ignore creatures of lower intellect” and “every sentient creature with an Intelligence of 7 or higher … must save vs. Spells or become insane.” Also, the orc in room 97 is said to have “resisted the insanity up to this point, probably because he isn’t very smart.” This seems to imply that having an Intelligence below 7 would be a “blessing” in this case because they don’t have to save against the wave. Do I have this right?

Pg. 11 of R38, 8. West Tower: The stat block for the 4 Spectres lists the HD as 6*. In the Core book Spectres HD is listed as 6**. This might be intentional and is really pretty inconsequential, but I noticed it.

Pg. 12 of R38, 9. Front Hallway: The boxed text says that this passage is 120ft long, but the map shows it to be only 110ft. Also, it says the 20ft wide passage is in the exact middle when it’s technically middle-left.

Pg. 12 of R38, 10. Grand Hall: The first sentence of the boxed text is awkward. “It’s that this is the grand hall.” Maybe it should just be, “This is the grand hall.”

Pg. 13 of R38, 11. Cloak Room: The third bullet in the list for “1 robe” needs a closing parenthesis at the end, after “important.”

Further down the list, bullets 7, 8, and 9 spell “mismatched” three different ways (mismatched, miss matched, and miss-matched). I believe they should all be “mismatched.”

Later in the last full paragraph of this section, “Count Dickens (see room 51)” should refer to room 48 instead. This is noted correctly at the bottom of the page in 13. Kitchen.

Pg. 17 of R38, 23. The Lesser Library: The end of this section refers to the start of “Thaumerion’s Tower” as being on page 100 of the book. In R38 “Thaumerion’s Tower” now begins on page 101. There are a couple of places that refer to page number that might be worth checking before posting the next version in case formatting or layout change anything enough.

Pg. 18 of R38, 25. Chapel: The boxed text refers to “a single figure in robes is performing some ceremony on the dais, … Five more cloaked figures stand behind it.” This describes the 6 Ghouls listed in the stat block. However, the second sentence of the GM text says, “The four figures on the dais are ghouls.” I think it should be “the six figures.”

Pg. 23 of R38, 39. Game Room (Arcan’s Tower): The second-to-last paragraph is the first place Tia is mentioned in the adventure, but it doesn’t say who she is in context to the Duke. It might be helpful to state that she’s the Duke’s youngest daughter. Not essential, but it might be helpful.

Pg. 27 of R38, 48. Guest Quarters: I think the passage, “This is not Count Dicker’s proper room; he was housed in rooms 54 and 55,” should refer to rooms 53-55. Room 53 is the Guest Parlor and room 54 is just the closet off of that room.

Pg. 31 of R38, 59. “Creche”: Are the 3 Animated Dolls listed in the Core rules or in the Field Guide? I couldn’t find them. If they’re not in either, should they be listed in the New Monsters section?

Also, it says they have two attacks of separate 2d6 damage, but it doesn’t list what from (appendages?).

Pg. 31 of R38, 60. Parlor: In Rodrick Gilder’s stat block, Intelligence is abbreviated wrong as “IINT.”

Also, although it mentions above that he isn’t very proficient at magic, he is not given a spell list. I realize he may not have any prepared, but in other places in the adventure it lists that information, such as Marcel in area 69, the three Magic-Users in area 89, or Ricardus Gerrus in area 96.

Pg. 34 of R38, 67. Chattering Mask: The GM text says that “this spirit is the only thing in the whole castle that’s both intelligent and sane,” but in room 64 Markus Senarius-Corvalis is described as still being sane. Nerianne, the mermaid from room 95, is also technically sane too.

Then below, when listing the types of queries that the mask will not answer, under the first one, Khaadk’s name is spelled wrong as “Khaadkh.”

Pg. 34 of R38, 68. Glassblower: The list of glasswork includes “dessicators” instead of “desiccators.” I know you mentioned your spell-check didn’t flag this one, so maybe there is an accepted alternate spelling.

Pg. 35 of R38, 69. Alchemist: There are a couple mentions of a “magic bunsen burner” which, I think, should capitalize Bunsen.

Pg. 36 of R38, 69. Alchemist: In Marcel’s stat block it mentions he has one attack for 1-3 points of damage. Is this a punch?

Pg. 37 of R38, 73. Roland’s Tower, 3rd Level – Main Library: I would maybe add the following comma (in red) in the third sentence of the boxed text. “She is dark haired and pale skinned, and though middle-aged, is still quite attractive.”

Further down, the stat block for Maricela shows her Dagger +2 doing 1d4 damage. Shouldn’t this be 1d4 +2?

Pg. 38 of R38, 74. Roland’s Tower, 4th Level: In the boxed text, the second paragraph ends with the word “knick-knacks.” In the fifth paragraph of the GM’s text in area 78, the alternate “nicknacks” is used. I think both spellings are correct, but it might be good to stick with one for consistency.

Also, the map for this room on page 63 shows a trap door in the ceiling, but it’s not mentioned in either the boxed text or the GM’s text. By contrast, room 77 does mention the trapdoor in that ceiling. Is it just assumed that the trapdoor leads to a roof?

Pg. 41 of R38, 77. Arcan’s Tower, 5th Level: In Lady Fleta D’Angelo’s stat block, shouldn’t her one attack of 1d4 damage for her Walking Staff +1 be 1d4+1?

Pg. 42 of R38, 81. Wine Cellar: This is really more a comment about the map. The description doesn’t mention the gate here in either the boxed text or GM’s text. Is it just assumed to be unlocked?

Pg. 44 of R38, 82. Stables: Tia’s stat block shows one attack doing 1d4 damage, but there’s no indication from what (dagger? staff? Does her -1 Strength factor in?).

Pg. 46 of R38, 88. Laboratory: There are a few of the laboratories that mention that no sigil hang in front of them (specifically, 91 and 94). There are also some rooms (this one – 88, 93, 96, and 97) which don’t mention if a sigil is there or not. If none of them have sigil hung, should it state that at the top like rooms 91 and 94? Should this room (88) actually have William’s sigil in front of it?

Pg. 48 of R38, 90. Laboratory: It mentions in the GM’s text that “any large character” must make a saving throw or risk breaking things due to the clutter. I thought it was interesting since this room was reserved for Fleta who is described in room 77 as “somewhat portly” although she does have a DEX of 17, so maybe this clutter isn’t an issue for her. This is more of an observation than a correction.

Pg. 49 of R38, 90. Laboratory: In the 44-50 results, the murky potion is described as “grey.” Ricardus in room 96 is also described as having “grey” hair. Many other places use “gray” throughout this adventure as well as the rest of the book. The two spellings are used pretty interchangeably. Like knick-knacks/nicknacks, both gray/grey are acceptable, but it might be good from a style perspective to stick with one. Not a big deal though.

Pg. 53 of R38, 96. Laboratory: Ricardus Gerrus’ stat block doesn’t mention his Staff of Centaur Calling in his equipment list. Most other NPCs have their magic items listed.

Pg. 54 of R38, 98. Laboratory: Chameli Prentice-Deshpan’s stat block doesn’t list any equipment, including her Greater Wand of Paralyzation or her Bag of Holding. It also says she has one attack for 1d4, but doesn’t list if that’s for a dagger or staff or something else.

Pg. 54 of R38, Dungeon Level 3 Key, Notes On This Level: In the fourth paragraph it mentions that “except for area 109, there is no light in this dungeon level.” However, area 107 has a corridor lit by a continual light spell.

Pg. 55 of R38, 101. Trap: Damage isn’t listed for the cone of cold. It’s listed in the Field Guide, but it might be helpful to list the 12d4 in the stat block.

Also, the last sentence in this section before the stat block says the ogre magi “will want to leave at least one character alive so that they can reveal the command words to the party’s magic items, and then go pay a large ransom for the return of the party’s bodies.” This last part is a little unclear. Is the surviving PC paying the large ransom or the Ogre Magi? Wouldn’t the Ogre Magi be “collecting” the large ransom?

Pg. 56 of R38, 104. Statue Gallery: It’s a little unclear at first which door is being referred to in the second paragraph of the GM’s text. The last sentence of the preceding paragraph says, “The stone golems stand perfectly still until any of them, the statue, or the door to area 105 is touched, at which point they attack.” The next sentence then says, “The door is opened by turning the statue,” which sounds like it means the door to area 105 when in fact it refers to the secret door. Maybe it could read “The secret door is opened by turning the statue …” Just a thought.

Pg. 57 of R38, 109. Vault: This is a dumb question, but Khaadk’s cracked jewel is in this room with the Duke, correct? The boxed text says he is illuminated by magic and he says he is guarding something beyond their meager powers, but there no description of where the gemstone is in the room or what it looks like to the PCs.

Also, the Duke’s stat block lists a damage of 1d4 +2 for his Walking Staff +2. Should it read 1d4 +3 to include his +1 from his 13 Strength?

Pg. 58 of R38, 110. Entrance: The marionette, Jessica, is not animated, correct? I assume so, hence no stat block.

Pg. 59 of R38, 112. Room of Dresses; 114. Room of Sparkly Shoes: Both the boxed texts for these areas refer to opening doors. Not a big deal, but the map doesn’t show any doors.

Pg. 60 of R38, Map of Level 1: There are five statues shown on the map: a – e. However, only 2a and 2b are given descriptions (pages 8 and 9). Is there anything remarkable about the others?

Pg. 61 of R38, Map of Level 2a: Same question as above regarding statue 45a.

Pg. 66 of R38, Map of Dungeon Level 3: I could have this wrong, but I think the stairs leading to area 99 are set up incorrectly. If I’m following them right, these stairs start in Dungeon Level 1, room 78 going down eastward behind the secret door. Then on Dungeon Level 2, the stairs turn clockwise going south, then running west, turning north briefly, then turning eastward again down to Dungeon Level 3. However, on the Dungeon Level 3 map, it looks like the stairs are coming down westward, counter-clockwise from the right. Do I have this turned around?

That's all I had. Hope I didn't miss anything obvious.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Dang... Bork should have been immune to the insanity wave.

Never noticed that before, and that's in the original adventure (before the many embellishments and expansions).

... but it was fun, though. :D

This is potentially confusing, obviously. I'll revise it to remove the explicit number for Intelligence, but I want to leave the anecdote in as it is still good guidance for GMs running the adventure.
Cryanhall

Post by Cryanhall »

That Experience Awards section is great, and I definitely think the example helps people understand the potential of this adventure.

This should totally be run as a mad, Felliniesque carnival or a kind of Lewis Carroll campaign of silliness.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Cryanhall wrote:Here are my notes for the very cool, very epic, Felliniesque dreamscape that is “Castle D’Angelo.” Not everything following is strictly a correction. There are some things I bring up more as questions for clarification. I tried to be careful and bring up anything that was questionable. Hopefully I wasn’t too picky in my attempt to be complete.

Pg. 3 of R38, How the Castle Was Built: The text says, “sister Sara … arranged the construction of a two-story keep encompassing the two towers; this structure is areas 9-13.” Shouldn’t this be 9-24 (for the first story) and 45-72 (for the second story)? I only say this because areas 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13 don’t encompass the towers and wouldn’t seem to qualify as a keep by themselves.
Fundamentally correct; however, in giving the room numbers I meant to just indicate the "footprint" of Sara's keep area, so I'm revising it to be "9-24 on the ground level."
Cryanhall wrote:In the next paragraph, I think “The remaining construction, consisting of two single story sections (2-6 and 28-33)” should be “2-4” since areas 5 and 6 are included in the following “and the six smaller towers (5-8, 29, and 34).”
Fixed.

Your attention to detail is amazing (and appreciated).
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 4 of R38, Experience Awards: In the last paragraph it’s mentioned that a PC in an early playtest who was “blessed” with an INT of 5 failed their saving throw against the insanity wave. This seems contrary to the description of Khaadk’s Power on pg. 3 which states that “his magic affects only intelligent creatures; he chose to ignore creatures of lower intellect” and “every sentient creature with an Intelligence of 7 or higher … must save vs. Spells or become insane.” Also, the orc in room 97 is said to have “resisted the insanity up to this point, probably because he isn’t very smart.” This seems to imply that having an Intelligence below 7 would be a “blessing” in this case because they don’t have to save against the wave. Do I have this right?
You do. I'm keeping the story, but removing the errant details, as I think it's instructive to the GM regarding how to play the adventure.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 11 of R38, 8. West Tower: The stat block for the 4 Spectres lists the HD as 6*. In the Core book Spectres HD is listed as 6**. This might be intentional and is really pretty inconsequential, but I noticed it.
Fixed.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 12 of R38, 9. Front Hallway: The boxed text says that this passage is 120ft long, but the map shows it to be only 110ft. Also, it says the 20ft wide passage is in the exact middle when it’s technically middle-left.
Fixed. I don't like numbers in boxed text in numeric format; I prefer to list every word as the GM should read it. So I've fixed that as well. (I think I did it that way myself in the first place, so my fault.)
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 12 of R38, 10. Grand Hall: The first sentence of the boxed text is awkward. “It’s that this is the grand hall.” Maybe it should just be, “This is the grand hall.”
How did THAT happen? Fixed.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 13 of R38, 11. Cloak Room: The third bullet in the list for “1 robe” needs a closing parenthesis at the end, after “important.”
Fixed.
Cryanhall wrote:Further down the list, bullets 7, 8, and 9 spell “mismatched” three different ways (mismatched, miss matched, and miss-matched). I believe they should all be “mismatched.”
Again, how did THAT happen? Gah.
Cryanhall wrote:Later in the last full paragraph of this section, “Count Dickens (see room 51)” should refer to room 48 instead. This is noted correctly at the bottom of the page in 13. Kitchen.
Fixed.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 17 of R38, 23. The Lesser Library: The end of this section refers to the start of “Thaumerion’s Tower” as being on page 100 of the book. In R38 “Thaumerion’s Tower” now begins on page 101. There are a couple of places that refer to page number that might be worth checking before posting the next version in case formatting or layout change anything enough.
Hmm. That page reference is handled by an automatic LibreOffice feature, so it should NOT be wrong. Will look into it. ... okay, right now Thaumerion's Tower DOES start on 101, though that may change when I complete my flow pass. Will have to RE-check this after the pass is done.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 18 of R38, 25. Chapel: The boxed text refers to “a single figure in robes is performing some ceremony on the dais, … Five more cloaked figures stand behind it.” This describes the 6 Ghouls listed in the stat block. However, the second sentence of the GM text says, “The four figures on the dais are ghouls.” I think it should be “the six figures.”
Fixed.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 23 of R38, 39. Game Room (Arcan’s Tower): The second-to-last paragraph is the first place Tia is mentioned in the adventure, but it doesn’t say who she is in context to the Duke. It might be helpful to state that she’s the Duke’s youngest daughter. Not essential, but it might be helpful.
I've put in the area reference and her full name, so the GM can read up on her if needed.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 27 of R38, 48. Guest Quarters: I think the passage, “This is not Count Dicker’s proper room; he was housed in rooms 54 and 55,” should refer to rooms 53-55. Room 53 is the Guest Parlor and room 54 is just the closet off of that room.
Fixed.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 31 of R38, 59. “Creche”: Are the 3 Animated Dolls listed in the Core rules or in the Field Guide? I couldn’t find them. If they’re not in either, should they be listed in the New Monsters section?

Also, it says they have two attacks of separate 2d6 damage, but it doesn’t list what from (appendages?).
They are one-off monsters, and do not need to be in a Field Guide nor listed in the New Monsters. I'd prefer not to enshrine them as a "standard" monster by giving them such an entry.

And yes, appendages. I'll revise the listing.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 31 of R38, 60. Parlor: In Rodrick Gilder’s stat block, Intelligence is abbreviated wrong as “IINT.”

Also, although it mentions above that he isn’t very proficient at magic, he is not given a spell list. I realize he may not have any prepared, but in other places in the adventure it lists that information, such as Marcel in area 69, the three Magic-Users in area 89, or Ricardus Gerrus in area 96.
IINT fixed. A spell list is a good idea; I've added one.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 34 of R38, 67. Chattering Mask: The GM text says that “this spirit is the only thing in the whole castle that’s both intelligent and sane,” but in room 64 Markus Senarius-Corvalis is described as still being sane. Nerianne, the mermaid from room 95, is also technically sane too.

Then below, when listing the types of queries that the mask will not answer, under the first one, Khaadk’s name is spelled wrong as “Khaadkh.”
Both fixed.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 34 of R38, 68. Glassblower: The list of glasswork includes “dessicators” instead of “desiccators.” I know you mentioned your spell-check didn’t flag this one, so maybe there is an accepted alternate spelling.
Today, it's decided to flag it. Go figure. Fixed.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 35 of R38, 69. Alchemist: There are a couple mentions of a “magic bunsen burner” which, I think, should capitalize Bunsen.
Fixed. That's an odd one.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 36 of R38, 69. Alchemist: In Marcel’s stat block it mentions he has one attack for 1-3 points of damage. Is this a punch?
Yes. Fixed.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 37 of R38, 73. Roland’s Tower, 3rd Level – Main Library: I would maybe add the following comma (in red) in the third sentence of the boxed text. “She is dark haired and pale skinned, and though middle-aged, is still quite attractive.”

Further down, the stat block for Maricela shows her Dagger +2 doing 1d4 damage. Shouldn’t this be 1d4 +2?
The comma being left out is meant to indicate no significant pause in delivery; it's how I say it, anyway.

As to the dagger damage, yes, you have that right. I've also listed an AB for that attack to remove a table lookup.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 38 of R38, 74. Roland’s Tower, 4th Level: In the boxed text, the second paragraph ends with the word “knick-knacks.” In the fifth paragraph of the GM’s text in area 78, the alternate “nicknacks” is used. I think both spellings are correct, but it might be good to stick with one for consistency.

Also, the map for this room on page 63 shows a trap door in the ceiling, but it’s not mentioned in either the boxed text or the GM’s text. By contrast, room 77 does mention the trapdoor in that ceiling. Is it just assumed that the trapdoor leads to a roof?
Corrected the nicknacks to knick-knacks, for consistency. Also added a bit about the trapdoor.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 41 of R38, 77. Arcan’s Tower, 5th Level: In Lady Fleta D’Angelo’s stat block, shouldn’t her one attack of 1d4 damage for her Walking Staff +1 be 1d4+1?
Fixed.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 42 of R38, 81. Wine Cellar: This is really more a comment about the map. The description doesn’t mention the gate here in either the boxed text or GM’s text. Is it just assumed to be unlocked?
No, it should be locked. Very locked. Fixed. Broke the flow BAD, took me a few minutes to correct it.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 44 of R38, 82. Stables: Tia’s stat block shows one attack doing 1d4 damage, but there’s no indication from what (dagger? staff? Does her -1 Strength factor in?).
Added a dagger +1, corrected the statblock.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 46 of R38, 88. Laboratory: There are a few of the laboratories that mention that no sigil hang in front of them (specifically, 91 and 94). There are also some rooms (this one – 88, 93, 96, and 97) which don’t mention if a sigil is there or not. If none of them have sigil hung, should it state that at the top like rooms 91 and 94? Should this room (88) actually have William’s sigil in front of it?
Fixed, all of them.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 48 of R38, 90. Laboratory: It mentions in the GM’s text that “any large character” must make a saving throw or risk breaking things due to the clutter. I thought it was interesting since this room was reserved for Fleta who is described in room 77 as “somewhat portly” although she does have a DEX of 17, so maybe this clutter isn’t an issue for her. This is more of an observation than a correction.
"Large" means larger-than-man-sized. I will amend it, however.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 49 of R38, 90. Laboratory: In the 44-50 results, the murky potion is described as “grey.” Ricardus in room 96 is also described as having “grey” hair. Many other places use “gray” throughout this adventure as well as the rest of the book. The two spellings are used pretty interchangeably. Like knick-knacks/nicknacks, both gray/grey are acceptable, but it might be good from a style perspective to stick with one. Not a big deal though.
Fixed. "Gray" is the most common American spelling, so I've gone with that.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 53 of R38, 96. Laboratory: Ricardus Gerrus’ stat block doesn’t mention his Staff of Centaur Calling in his equipment list. Most other NPCs have their magic items listed.
Fixed. Also discovered that William's damage was wrong, so fixed that too.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 54 of R38, 98. Laboratory: Chameli Prentice-Deshpan’s stat block doesn’t list any equipment, including her Greater Wand of Paralyzation or her Bag of Holding. It also says she has one attack for 1d4, but doesn’t list if that’s for a dagger or staff or something else.
Fixed.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 54 of R38, Dungeon Level 3 Key, Notes On This Level: In the fourth paragraph it mentions that “except for area 109, there is no light in this dungeon level.” However, area 107 has a corridor lit by a continual light spell.
Fixed.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 55 of R38, 101. Trap: Damage isn’t listed for the cone of cold. It’s listed in the Field Guide, but it might be helpful to list the 12d4 in the stat block.

Also, the last sentence in this section before the stat block says the ogre magi “will want to leave at least one character alive so that they can reveal the command words to the party’s magic items, and then go pay a large ransom for the return of the party’s bodies.” This last part is a little unclear. Is the surviving PC paying the large ransom or the Ogre Magi? Wouldn’t the Ogre Magi be “collecting” the large ransom?
I've edited the ransom bit, so that hopefully it is more clear. It's also an example of "neuter they" which I never want in Basic Fantasy books, so I fixed that. I'm going to leave the cone of cold for the GM to look up, mainly because detailing it will break the flow AGAIN. It's not wrong, after all.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 56 of R38, 104. Statue Gallery: It’s a little unclear at first which door is being referred to in the second paragraph of the GM’s text. The last sentence of the preceding paragraph says, “The stone golems stand perfectly still until any of them, the statue, or the door to area 105 is touched, at which point they attack.” The next sentence then says, “The door is opened by turning the statue,” which sounds like it means the door to area 105 when in fact it refers to the secret door. Maybe it could read “The secret door is opened by turning the statue …” Just a thought.
Not sure why this is unclear, since there is actually only one statue. I did revise it a bit to make it more obvious.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 57 of R38, 109. Vault: This is a dumb question, but Khaadk’s cracked jewel is in this room with the Duke, correct? The boxed text says he is illuminated by magic and he says he is guarding something beyond their meager powers, but there no description of where the gemstone is in the room or what it looks like to the PCs.

Also, the Duke’s stat block lists a damage of 1d4 +2 for his Walking Staff +2. Should it read 1d4 +3 to include his +1 from his 13 Strength?
The contents of the room in general weren't detailed; I've added a bit of extra material covering what is found therein.

And you are correct on the Duke's damage; fixed.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 58 of R38, 110. Entrance: The marionette, Jessica, is not animated, correct? I assume so, hence no stat block.
True. I've added a bit covering that.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 59 of R38, 112. Room of Dresses; 114. Room of Sparkly Shoes: Both the boxed texts for these areas refer to opening doors. Not a big deal, but the map doesn’t show any doors.
Ack. Removed those bits.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 60 of R38, Map of Level 1: There are five statues shown on the map: a – e. However, only 2a and 2b are given descriptions (pages 8 and 9). Is there anything remarkable about the others?
Nobody ever detailed them, so I guess not. I'm going to leave this untouched.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 61 of R38, Map of Level 2a: Same question as above regarding statue 45a.
Yeah, same situation.
Cryanhall wrote:Pg. 66 of R38, Map of Dungeon Level 3: I could have this wrong, but I think the stairs leading to area 99 are set up incorrectly. If I’m following them right, these stairs start in Dungeon Level 1, room 78 going down eastward behind the secret door. Then on Dungeon Level 2, the stairs turn clockwise going south, then running west, turning north briefly, then turning eastward again down to Dungeon Level 3. However, on the Dungeon Level 3 map, it looks like the stairs are coming down westward, counter-clockwise from the right. Do I have this turned around?
The Dungeon Level 3 map is kind of screwed up, actually. Good catch.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Initial flip-through of R39 looks good, nothing stood out to me needed fixed.
Cryanhall

Post by Cryanhall »

I did a quick once-over of R39 while checking my notes. I think the flow looks good and it looks like there's more art now. I checked all references to page numbers and everything matched the new format. I didn't check all references to areas or rooms, but the ones I spot-checked looked good. I liked the new description of room 109, The Vault, in "Castle D'angelo." The new Strategy Notes in "House of Coldarius" was a good add too.

The only thing I noticed was that there's still no mention of the trap door on ceiling in the north east corner of room 74 (unless I missed it). That's not a big deal though. I did notice you changed a little of the boxed text (the bed stands now instead of sits on the carpeted dais).

Otherwise, it looks good to me. :)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm going to leave the trap door unmentioned; it's on the map, which I hope is good enough. I'm going to start the ball rolling with CreateSpace today, and maybe get this book available again on Friday.

Last chance to tell me about showstopper issues...
Cryanhall

Post by Cryanhall »

Sounds good. I’m giving it one more look. I’ll let you know if I see anything major by Thursday afternoon. Sorry I couldn’t give it another in depth look sooner. It’d be great to have it up again for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.