BF3 Strongholds of Sorcery

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Strongholds of Sorcery

Post by Solomoriah »

Dropped the bugbear reference, applied your new text and corrected the two spelling issue you called out. I'll be uploading the new version to the website soon.

You're really coming up with some nice stuff for Tower of Light, Longman! Thanks!

EDIT: I dropped the last paragraph of the Aftermath as it conflicted with your version of events in Marul.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Longman

Post by Longman »

Cool! I'll get started on the upper level soon...ish. You're not in a massive hurry here are you?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

No, not really.

Creatures on the upper level are largely limited to the leaded skeletons, and anything else that can withstand the effects of aqua lumina. However, putting traps, "unguarded" treasures, etc. in that level seems quite reasonable.

Remember, Rurik has spent almost no time in the area... just enough so he knows what to tell the skeletons to do.

Leave the tower rooms themselves to me, if you don't mind.
Longman

Post by Longman »

15 - Storeroom

This first room encountered after coming up the stairs from the lower level. The door is within 40' of the open door to the tower itself so remember to apply radiation damage here at the rate of 1 per round. The door is locked, but is not sturdy and may be opened with a standard roll to open doors on a d6.

A small storeroom stands before you, with shelves stacked with a large array of glass and pottery containers of all different sizes. Four of these have stoppers and may still contain something. On the shelves also stand various brass funnels, tubes, and a large copper vat for distillation. A large wooden box with many small drawers also stands on one shelf.

The 4 pottery beakers with stoppers contain
1 - A potion of healing (1d6+1hp), tasteless
2 - Another tasteless liquid that does nothing
3 and 4 - A bad-tasting liquid that protects against the effects of radiation for 4 hours.

The box contains a variety of alchemical powders, each in different drawers. These include salt, lead, basalt, crystal, sandstone, soapstone, and a small amount of aqua lumina sand which has had its radiation removed.

Note: I can't work out where the stairs come up from?
Longman

Post by Longman »

and another post...

Room 16 - Training Room

The door to this room is unlocked and has been searched by the leaded skeletons. The radiation in this room is only 1/ turn and the room may be a safe place to hole up temporarily.

This medium-sized room is mostly empty. It has interesting markings on the floor, including a magical pentagram in the south-west corner and a series of 'range marker' lines drawn on the floor at 2' intervals in the north-east corner. On the western wall there are a variety of blast and burn marks. Various notches have been carved into the walls as though someone was keeping score of a contest.

Room 17 - Bedroom

This room was where Liddan nu Maddur slept, hundreds of years ago, separate from the rest of his staff who occupied the lower floor. The door is open. 4 leaded skeletons are present in the corridor, bringing containers of aqua lumina from the laboratory rooms to the east. They will attack the party on sight.

(4 skeletons, details)

Inside this room stands the crumbling remains of an ancient 4 poster bed of the type used by desert sultans of Glain in olden times. There is also a large desk in the room which is in slightly better condition than the bed.

The desk is locked but not trapped, and may also be bashed open with an open doors roll on a 1d6. Inside is a spellbook of Liddan nu Maddur (1st - 8th levels spells), which has been transformed into a well-known fortune telling book in the desert language, the Kabal Unatah, by means of a Polymorph Any Object spell. The book radiates considerable magic and PCs may wonder why an ordinary fortune telling book radiates it so strongly. Changing the book back to its true form will require powerful magic such as Dispel Magic by a high level caster, Limited Wish, and so on. Legend Lorewill reveal the book for what it really is but will not allow it to be read.

The desk drawer also contains a Quill of Scribing. This item adds 10% onto a caster's Chance to Know when transcribing new spells. It also radiates magic.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Longman wrote:Note: I can't work out where the stairs come up from?
Ack. The upper and lower level maps are rotated, and north is wrong on one of them. I'll get updated maps into the next release.

I've snagged the three new rooms above. As soon as I get the maps updated, I'll post a new release.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

New release posted. Thanks Longman for the additional material!
Longman

Post by Longman »

No problemo!

2 rooms to go. Once I have done those and you have done the tower rooms, can I have a good look over it as an ODT? I Think I can condense some of the text a bit.

Cheers.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Go ahead and make your changes directly in the ODT, then email it to me. Bump the release number when you do it, and then I'll take a hammer to any resulting layout issues. Just don't knock yourself out on layout problems... that's my job.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Level 1 room 5 - New version

Old Barracks

This was a former barracks when Liddan nu Maddar ran the tower. It is currently occupied by Rurik's apprentice, Wilenik. Wilenik is only a 2nd level magic user and has no useful spells in combat because Rurik has not taught him any. His sole job is to use his Detect Magic spell on various areas of the lower dungeon and the other occupants, to ensure that the magic radiation has not penetrated down below. He is frightened and dissatisfied and may be persuaded to leave the dungeon or give up information if he can be encountered on his own.

He is 30% likely to be here, 30% with Rurik, and 40% in a random location on the lower level, detecting magic. He will flee combat. Despite sleeping in here every night, the young mage still has no idea about the secret door in the north wall.

and a post below...