Basic Fantasy Character Funnel

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
shadowmane

Re: Basic Fantasy Character Funnel

Post by shadowmane »

Okay, you've probably already addressed this, but why do you start with table 1-4 on page 1 instead of table 1-1?
AncientToaster

Post by AncientToaster »

shadowmane wrote:Okay, you've probably already addressed this, but why do you start with table 1-4 on page 1 instead of table 1-1?
No problem. The tables are numbered according to the order used in character creation. However, tables 1-4 thru 1-6 are the only tables likely to be used once character generation is complete, and so I've grouped them together on page one. Tables 1-1 and 1-3 are also really large, and require about a page each. Since I'd like to keep the page count down, this also advocated for grouping 1-4 thru 1-6 together on page one.
Check out Infinite Dragons, my blog about old-school roleplaying games.
AncientToaster

Post by AncientToaster »

Uploaded a new version 1.5, which improves the character generation to avoid "boring" characters (those with no modifiers whatsoever). I've also seen the light of reason and renumbered the tables, and fixed a few typos.

You can also read more about the rationale for the Tumbler, and view a few sample character cards.
AncientToaster

Post by AncientToaster »

Oh, and a question: How would I go about submitting this as an "official" Basic Fantasy supplement?
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

I would first get this thread placed in the Workshop. That's the first step, and I would talk to Smoot about it.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Actually, MM, I'm the one who decides whether or not you get a Showcase account, and/or your project on the Downloads page. But you are right about the Workshop being the first step.

So without further ado, we're off to the Workshop!

AncientToaster, as you are not yet published on the main site, I'll have to review your supplement before upgrading it from the open-access Workshop to one of our higher tier distribution areas. I'll try to get to it soon, but I'm pretty busy right now so don't be holding your breath.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Solomoriah wrote:Actually, MM, I'm the one who decides whether or not you get a Showcase account, and/or your project on the Downloads page. But you are right about the Workshop being the first step.
Whoops didn't make myself clear enough, I meant you needed to talk to Smoot about getting the thread moved to the workshop. Didn't mean to imply anything different.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ah. No problem.

AncientToaster, I just gave your work a quick once-over, and here are some pointers:

First of all, it's not in the standard format. This means, first of all, OpenDocument text (not Microsoft Word). My commitment to freedom compels me to use and recommend LibreOffice and/or OpenOffice for development of BFRPG products. Second, the standard format would require a proper document header and, of course, the mandatory OGL text at the end.

An aside: I'm hoping you know that anything we publish here, whether in the Workshop, Showcase, or Downloads page, must be properly free. For rules materials, the only legitimate choice is Open Game Content as defined in the OGL; I can make a variance for maps and/or "required" illustrations, which may be Creative Commons licensed (but can't have the No Derivatives or Non Commercial license options). "Decorative" artwork generally remains the property of the original artist, who must give me a non-exclusive, permanent license to use it (or else I can't).

ANYWAY. I have hacked together a revised version of your document, being in a minimal version of the standard format, but you must first tell me that your supplement is 100% Open Game Content, Copyright 2013 (you) so that I can upload it to the site.

It's a pain, but I really do have to take this legal crap seriously.

The revised version I just put together still needs editing (mainly to straighten out the tables, which as usual when converting from DOC to ODT are kind of wonky). Once you "sign off" on it legally, I'll upload it and we can get to work cleaning up the format, and I'll review the actual text at that point.
AncientToaster

Post by AncientToaster »

Hey Solomoriah, no problem. I'm aware of all the legal boilerplate, I just hadn't bothered to do it in the early drafts since I hadn't really thought of submitting it.

I certify I am the sole author of this work, authored in 2012 and revised in 2013. I am happy to license it under the Open Game License.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Great! I've attached the sketchily-laid-out first release. My only comment right now is that I've never seen the term "Iron Man" used before to describe "3d6 in order." I'll review it in full later, and probably beat the tables into submission at that point. If you have any plans to revise the content, please let me know here so I won't start updating the document while you're updating the document.
Attachments
BF-Level-0-Character-Tumbler-r1.pdf
(164.33 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
BF-Level-0-Character-Tumbler-r1.odt
(38.67 KiB) Downloaded 418 times