Basic Fantasy Character Funnel

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Hywaywolf

Re: Basic Fantasy Character Funnel

Post by Hywaywolf »

I think it would need to be a face to face or live chat to make the rolling for weapons and equipment exciting. Kind of like playing speed chess, probably just wouldn't work in PBP :)
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Yeah, probably not. Google+ Hangout anyone?
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
AncientToaster

Post by AncientToaster »

Version 1.2 is out, with an all-original occupations table, bugfixes, and other small changes. Find it here, or linked in the first post. Please let me know if you find any other bugs/issues.
Check out Infinite Dragons, my blog about old-school roleplaying games.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Looks good to me. I will definitely use this some day. Maybe if my current group TPK's the local townsfolk will take matters into their own hands? :lol:
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Nice, but I think you should review the order of the tables (and/or their numbering).

It makes it harder to format into the 2 pages, but the usage and appearance should follow each other.

Table 1-1 and 1-2 should come first in the document followed by the others... in a logical way according to each next step in your instructions.

Also,
Step 2 of your instructions ought to say "1d4 + Constitution Bonus"

Step 4, you might add something saying that illogical race and occupation combinations may be rerolled (ie Dwarf Wizard's Apprentice). I would suggest the GM decides which roll (race or occupation) is re-rolled.

Step 6, I see no reason why one would not add appropriate Race Saving Throw adjustments.
I would drop that, or better yet implicitly state that the Saving Throw bonus should be adjusted appropriately for the race.
Perhaps modify the Saving Throw table to include such bonuses underneath. Change the table by adding an extra column for the Race Name (column 1), then add rows for each race (normal man/human being the first entry, followed by adjusted numbers for each race: dwarf elf halfling).

I would also suggest reviewing Joe the Rat's Equipment Emporium for some more ideas for alternate weapons, items, and trade goods that might appear here (and you would likely standardize such with his stuff when differences appears (ie Spade/Shovel = club in his listing which is what others will likely use more often)).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
AncientToaster

Post by AncientToaster »

Thanks for the feedback, SmootRK. I agree the ordering is problematic, but the tables are just so large I think this way is better. Particularly because the tables on page 1 are the ones that might actually require reference in game, whereas the following tables are needed only during character creation. I'll give Joe's equipment list a look, I'm unfamiliar with that supplmenet.

As for the races... It's a preference thing. I'd prefer all characters to be equally helpless at level-0, but I'll reconsider after I run my first playtest with real players this weekend.

Uploading yet another version, now including an array of fifty ability sets! After playing with the system this morning, I realized that rolling 3d6 followed by re-rolls for hopeless characters takes a long time for this many characters. So I've included the ability array. It's 96% authentic, although nitpickers might note that there is exactly one 18 for each ability category, and that the odds of this happening naturally are somewhat less then 1/3125. But I think we can agree they're just cynics, right? :D

Pdf available here, or linked in the first post.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Honestly I would just use the races as presented in the BF core rules. When it says dwarf, I personally thought it meant dwarf in full, not some watered down dwarf.
AncientToaster

Post by AncientToaster »

MedievalMan wrote:Honestly I would just use the races as presented in the BF core rules. When it says dwarf, I personally thought it meant dwarf in full, not some watered down dwarf.
The reason I want to water down the dwarf is to put the races on a relatively even footing as they pass through the funnel. The large bonuses demi-humans get to Saves seem like too big an advantage over human characters to me. As I say, I'll let you guys know how this works out in play. :)
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

And I will probably just keep the races as they are. *shrug* To each his own.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

There just isn't a real reason to 'change' a race just because of being zero-level. Change a class to account for such proto-classes or almost classes, such as a sort of MU Apprentice zero-level character, Acolyte/Initiate zero-level cleric, or even a zero-level Sneak/Thief, etc. but not the race they belong to inherently.

I am all for adding new bits and pieces that do not currently exist to make a rules system/mechanic work... but I try not to change fundamentals to make things work.

That, and the Races are inherently better at low levels compared to humans. That is the way of things. The real bonus of being human (aside from role-play aspects) is that Humans get bonus XP to speed them along in acquiring levels. They should get the same in this 'zero-level' state. (+10% xp)
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?