Basic Fantasy Character Funnel

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Hywaywolf

Re: Basic Fantasy Character Funnel

Post by Hywaywolf »

I must be missing something everyone else knows. What is a d2 Roll and how do you use it with a table with 20 items.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

A d2 is a coin toss. :P

EDIT

Now I see he meant d2'0' roll. That makes more sense.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

MedievalMan wrote:A d2 is a coin toss. :P

EDIT

Now I see he meant d2'0' roll. That makes more sense.
Personally, I would just simplify this to "roll d20 twice" instead of the random chance for second roll.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

I need to look at the new version I have yet to read it.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I think some simplification could be accomplished by a weapon (and even 1 trade item) being determined from the occupation. For instance:

Blacksmith - hammer + iron spikes
Farmer - pitchfork or garden hoe + sack of grain/seed (suitable for animal feed or even human consumption as a porrage/oatmeal.
Scribe - small knife + paper/velum with pen/ink.
Carpenter/Woodsman - hand axe + rations
etc. you get the point

followed by a roll on the random goods table.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
AncientToaster

Post by AncientToaster »

SmootRK wrote:I think some simplification could be accomplished by a weapon (and even 1 trade item) being determined from the occupation. For instance:

Blacksmith - hammer + iron spikes
Farmer - pitchfork or garden hoe + sack of grain/seed (suitable for animal feed or even human consumption as a porrage/oatmeal.
Scribe - small knife + paper/velum with pen/ink.
Carpenter/Woodsman - hand axe + rations
etc. you get the point

followed by a roll on the random goods table.
That's exactly the plan for the occupations table. I'll update everyone when it's up.
Check out Infinite Dragons, my blog about old-school roleplaying games.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

That's how I did my occupations table awhile back. Although some occupations started out with actual money instead of a trade item.

Looking forward to seeing the next iteration.
xav++

Post by xav++ »

Yea I'm waiting for it all to be done
Droyson Fillif Level 3 cleric
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

If I ever get a group up again I think I will start with this, but I am going to use it the way I said originally, a bunch of unskilled villagers fall into a pit along with a bunch of supplies from the market square. They land directly between two bands of kobolds preparing to fight each other. The kobolds immediately attack the newcomers who have but one round to prepare themselves before the fight begins. Then by initiative order the normal men PCs roll a 1d20 and from a table of weapons, armor, and misc. items like a rope (strangle, trip), (nothing greater than d4 except maybe 1 sword and one bow with quiver for rolling excitement placed at 1 and 20 on the list). They can choose any one item on the list within 2 places of what they rolled (ie roll a 12 choose from 10-14, a 2 then 1-4, 20 then 18-20). Then round two starts and they start fighting.

After the fighting let them do the rolls for the normal gear from a table like table 1-1, only make it a table of 100 items from the general equipment list on p.10. only have a a few of the expensive items and a lot more of the cheaper stuff. They roll 1d100 in initiative order until everything is "picked up". If a number is rolled that has already been taken, then they take the next closest item. then after its all gone they can do some roll playing and trade items if they aren't happy with their solution. Then they explore and fight their way out of the dungeon.

I like the idea of making character generation the actual adventure. I think I would start with 20 pages of normal men character sheets with the ability rolls already pre-rolled and filled out. Then all the players roll a d20 and they select the sheets like a fantasy football draft. high roll picks first the first round and last the 2nd round. 1st the 3rd round and last the 4th round. Character generation would like the actual scramble for weapons that would occur if you really fell into a pit and grabbed the best item that fell near you.
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

I love those ideas Hywaywolf. If you ever decide to run it as a pbp count me in. I think that would be a blast!
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.