Basic Fantasy Character Funnel

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Joe the Rat

Re: Basic Fantasy Character Funnel

Post by Joe the Rat »

AncientToaster wrote:
MedievalMan wrote:Honestly I would just use the races as presented in the BF core rules. When it says dwarf, I personally thought it meant dwarf in full, not some watered down dwarf.
The reason I want to water down the dwarf is to put the races on a relatively even footing as they pass through the funnel. The large bonuses demi-humans get to Saves seem like too big an advantage over human characters to me. As I say, I'll let you guys know how this works out in play. :)
Well, it would explain how adventuring parties in a (nominally) human-centric setting are at least 50% nonhuman.
Go with a smile!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Joe the Rat wrote:
AncientToaster wrote:
MedievalMan wrote:Honestly I would just use the races as presented in the BF core rules. When it says dwarf, I personally thought it meant dwarf in full, not some watered down dwarf.
The reason I want to water down the dwarf is to put the races on a relatively even footing as they pass through the funnel. The large bonuses demi-humans get to Saves seem like too big an advantage over human characters to me. As I say, I'll let you guys know how this works out in play. :)
Well, it would explain how adventuring parties in a (nominally) human-centric setting are at least 50% nonhuman.
seeing in the dark is my number one reason for playing a non-human
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Hywaywolf wrote:seeing in the dark is my number one reason for playing a non-human
indeed... major perk. And to my point, would this be stripped away in a bid for equality? Pulling off Race items seems wrong. Would one say, "Your Elf has not developed Elf Eyesight yet" ???
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

If anything being a human is better if your 0 level because that 10% exp bonus will get you to an actual character class quicker. If you use the negative exp method at least.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

True, a human really only needs 92XP to become, er, Classy. That's an entire kobold!
Go with a smile!
AncientToaster

Post by AncientToaster »

SmootRK wrote:
Hywaywolf wrote:seeing in the dark is my number one reason for playing a non-human
indeed... major perk. And to my point, would this be stripped away in a bid for equality? Pulling off Race items seems wrong. Would one say, "Your Elf has not developed Elf Eyesight yet" ???
Nope, I wouldn't. I'm only pulling off the saves because I'd prefer all characters feel pathetic at 0-level, and racial bonuses seem less "inherent" to me then eyesight. The idea that an ordinary elf might not be as good at avoiding dragon breath as one with class levels feels right to me. The other reason is that, with the included ability arrays, level-0 characters are not *that* incompetent. Removing save bonuses ensures at least a few will bite the dust along the way. :twisted:

Ultimately, it's just an aesthetic preference of mine. If you don't like it, please Rule-0 it, it won't hurt my feelings.
Check out Infinite Dragons, my blog about old-school roleplaying games.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

AncientToaster wrote:Ultimately, it's just an aesthetic preference of mine. If you don't like it, please Rule-0 it, it won't hurt my feelings.
I just point out illogical or arbitrary rules/mechanics when I see them. Cannot do anything about personal preference... even if they are wrong :shock: 8-) :D
AncientToaster

Post by AncientToaster »

In response to popular demand, new version up incorporating Race saving throw bonuses. Still not sure if I'll play with them, but as I've mulled it over and made other revisions, I think you're right this is probably the right decision for the average reader. Get 1.4 here or in the first post. I also upped the frequency with which demi-human PCs are generated, and deprecated the ability score array from 1.3, since I find it just doesn't have the drama of iron man (tho the ability array table is still present, for those who want it).
Check out Infinite Dragons, my blog about old-school roleplaying games.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

AncientToaster wrote:Get 1.4 here
The link goes to nothing
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Metroknight wrote:
AncientToaster wrote:Get 1.4 here
The link goes to nothing
first post has link.

[edit] went ahead and fixed the link and added one to first page