Class-Specific Sheets

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Scondoro

Class-Specific Sheets

Post by Scondoro »

Sorry if I'm stepping on any toes by doing this :? but when trying to choose which of all the character sheets to use for my players next week I was having some serious difficulty deciding.
Sooooooo I did what I do best and ended up making my own! All the ones that are up for download are great, don't get me wrong! It's just that where I saw flaws or minor details I didn't like on one sheet, another would have that fixed, but would have other issues. There was no one sheet in particular that stood out to me far beyond the others; I just wanted to take 2 or 3 different ones and combine them--and that's exactly what I did, to be honest. >_<
Anywho, there they are, attached (well, at least all but the Fighter (only 3 attachments allowed :roll: (it isn't much different at all, though, tbh))), and I'd love for you to critique away! I have no issue with going back and touching up work, especially if there's a major element I might have overlooked ("You forgot to include Ability Score boxes!").

A few notes about them:
  • Yes, they are class-specific. I know you don't know what class, or even race, you are until after you've done your AScore rolls, but meh, that's easily worked around. I'll just have my players quick note their AScores on a post-it note or something, and then once they know their race and class copy them onto the proper sheet, and then kapow, we're ready to go.
  • I wanted to utilize both the front and back of the sheet just to try and ease up on how cramped a sheet can become if you're trying to include everything. Unfortunately, in doing so, this left a lot of room for just plain open space (especially for the Fighter sheet (again not attached :3 )), so if you've any ideas for what to with that I'm certainly open for ideas. However, I'm not object to just leaving those empty spots there ultimately: I've got some pretty creative friends that will be playing, and I'm sure they'd find ways to fill it XD
  • I plan to use at least one supplement with my players--the Level 0 Spells one--so that's why there are notes on the MU and Cleric sheets about those. I also left room for expansion by putting a list for Level 7 spells, if my players ever end up getting that far with one of their characters.
Attachments
Custom Char Sheet Thief.pdf
Thief sheet
(318.57 KiB) Downloaded 646 times
Custom Char Sheet MagicUser.pdf
MagicUser sheet
(235.99 KiB) Downloaded 633 times
Custom Char Sheet Cleric.pdf
Cleric sheet
(317.89 KiB) Downloaded 576 times
Blazeguard

Re: Class-Specific Sheets

Post by Blazeguard »

Very nicely done! I've been trying to come up with my own character sheet as well but haven't gotten this far yet.

What did you use to create them?
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

It's a fan-driven community project, it's all good. And given there are multiple sheets already, you shouldn't worry too much.

(Putting on the usability testing hat) These are pretty nice.

One thing you'll need to shoehorn in is a little space for racial abilities - darkvision, secret door detection, halfling hiding, etc. You might be able to trim the pic/crest/symbol field for a box.

Since these are class-specific, go ahead and make the MU "Cantrips" and the Cleric "Orisons." Also, the "spell books" on the back of the caster sheets should probably be called "Spell Book" (for M-Us) and "Allowed Spells" (For Clerics) - a quick list of what they can memorize.

I've got mixed feelings on the attribute-specific fonts. It's a clever idea (and having the class name match the prime requisite is cute), but they don't fit together for me. The troublesome ones for me are the "handwritten" (Intelligence, Dexterity) fonts. They're harder to read, and oddly "informal" alongside the blockier print/typeset style fonts. Constitution seems a little under-weighted, but it's also a rather long word - the beefier fonts won't fit. ;) Parchment or Blackadder (scaled up) aren't bad for Intelligence, and I think would look good with "Magic User." I'm drawing a blank at the moment for the Dex/Thief one, unless you swap it for Charisma, and get something "Showier" or "Regal" for Charisma.

Organization is good - you won't be flipping back and forth too much in combat - or most situations outside camp and parley (save the MacGuyver guy that uses the entirety of their possessions in a fight. Even the tent and whetstone.)

I'm looking forward to the Fighter.
Go with a smile!
Scondoro

Post by Scondoro »

To answer Blazeguard: good ol' MS Publisher 2010. Was able to do a lot more for me than I anticipated--a shockingly capable piece of software.

Now, with your points duly noted, I respond:
  • Deeerp. Yep, I knew there'd be some detail I'd be forgetting. That was a quick patch: I bumped it right underneath the sketch box like you suggested.
  • Another good point there, tweaked those up. Although, I think I may be a bit confused on how Clerics work with their religions. The explanations and examples given in the rulebook imply that a Cleric's religion would prevent them from merely using a short, select list of spells, which is why I titled the list on the back of the Cleric sheet "Unpermitted Spells." So, for example, if the Cleric was subject to a god of healing who resented harm, the player in question would note down all the harming spells under "Unpermitted Spells" and would use that reference just for knowing what they may not use or pray for without upsetting their god. However, if my assumptions are wrong, and a god of healing is one who only permits healing spells, then I can see what your thoughts were. My goal here was to try to choose the smaller of the two lists, whether it be a list of allowed spells or unallowed spells, and have the players keep note of that.
  • Touched up the fonts, and I definitely see where you were going with the fonts that were hand-written before; I like your new suggestions. Hope you meant papyrus for the MU, though, because I don't have a "Parchment" (although, papyrus font is a step I was hoping not to take--it's a bit too close to "Comic Sansdom" for me (but it actually looks awesome on the sheet with the others, so it's got my vote!)).
Other than that, changes include taking the lines out of the Bio box, and a few OCD spacing tweaks that have been bugging me.
I've attached an updated copy of the Cleric and Fighter sheets. On the Fighter sheet in particular, you'll be hard-pressed not to see the huge swaths of blank space; for at least one of those areas I plan to direct the players to note down weapon specializations there, as I will probably be using that supplement too. Beyond that, it's just a bunch of doodle-room :3
Attachments
Custom Char Sheet Fighter.pdf
Fighter sheet
(285.58 KiB) Downloaded 542 times
Cleric sheet
(370.45 KiB) Downloaded 554 times
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I notice the check box for +10% experience. The Half-Humans supplement has several races that are nearly standards in many fantasy games. The Half-Humans get +5% experience bonus, and I think it would be forward thinking to have such a check box listed there too.

I would prefer the Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game logo featured on the sheet, or at the very least the proper font. This is a matter of identity for the game. You can copy the logo from this forum, the main website, or use the Fonts (officially it is "FrizQuadrata BT"). Send me a PM with your email if you need access to the official fonts used.

I think the Fonts/Ability score thing is an innovative thought, and the choices for each is nice, but I would like to see the 'weights' of the fonts be a little more equivalent. Elsewhere, I think more use of the standard fonts used in BFRPG projects/rules would tidy up the sheet with a better sense of cohesion with the rules. (similar to what I mentioned above for logo).

Overall it looks nice. I generally prefer sheets that are one page...
...when a two-page sheet is used, I would prefer most relevant gaming data be on the front sheet. If I were to make a suggestion here, I would move sketch, money, and even experience boxes to the second sheet, so that equipment and stuff like Turning can be moved to the first sheet. Stuff that is only needed for long-term thought (bio, sketches) or data only needing to be referenced between sessions, adventures, or generally infrequently ( XP, money, spellbook contents) should go to second (back-side) of page.

Don't take these suggestions as being hyper-critical, just adding my 2cents into your consideration. They still look great, and whatever works for you and your group is going to be just fine!
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Hah! And I was thinking of Harlow for Charisma. Parchment (And Balckadder, for that matter) are probably fonts that I'd picked up at some point. I tend to forget which ones are standard. Parchment does put a sizable space between the capital and subsequent letters, so Papyrus is probably a better choice in that regard.
Scondoro wrote: [*]Another good point there, tweaked those up. Although, I think I may be a bit confused on how Clerics work with their religions. The explanations and examples given in the rulebook imply that a Cleric's religion would prevent them from merely using a short, select list of spells, which is why I titled the list on the back of the Cleric sheet "Unpermitted Spells." So, for example, if the Cleric was subject to a god of healing who resented harm, the player in question would note down all the harming spells under "Unpermitted Spells" and would use that reference just for knowing what they may not use or pray for without upsetting their god. However, if my assumptions are wrong, and a god of healing is one who only permits healing spells, then I can see what your thoughts were. My goal here was to try to choose the smaller of the two lists, whether it be a list of allowed spells or unallowed spells, and have the players keep note of that.
Unpermitted makes sense in terms of space-saving, but feels a touch counter-intuitive (You have a list of what you cannot do, as opposed to a list of what you can do). Given that the list of available spells is, by default, all of them, it's probably a simpler means of tracking this.
Go with a smile!
Scondoro

Post by Scondoro »

So, going in order of appearance:
  • Dropped the +10% notation and just made it a +___% notation for convenience and to reduce clutter. Nice catch there.
  • Am absolutely loving the look of the site logo at the top. It really connects the sheet more legitimately to BFRPG, and looks just plain awesome! However, I do note what you're saying about the font change throughout the sheets, but that'll definitely be a final draft edit once the major issues are rolled out.
  • Suggestions noted, and I made the changes accordingly. Fitting and moving the mentioned boxes around turned out to be a lot easier than I anticipated, and I feel like it did clean up a lot of where the action was going to primarily be.
  • About the permitted/unpermitted spells list thing, I added in an area to note what particular religion the Cleric is a part of, and how that ties in with not only their spells, but how it might also affect armor and weapons allowed.
  • To Harlow font! To be honest, that was my original choice, but I ended up changing it at the last second >_<
Here's Thief, Cleric, and a Fighter/Magic-User sheet that I quick made off a MU sheet. I'm absolutely exhausted, and I'm trying to save and upload these things falling asleep in my chair every minute or so. If I accidentally labelled the Cleric sheet the Thief sheet.... that's why..
Attachments
Custom Char Sheet Thief.pdf
(380.28 KiB) Downloaded 545 times
Custom Char Sheet FighterMagicUser.pdf
(300.87 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
(299.84 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Looking good. Maybe it's just because it's late but I'm not sure I get the Total weight front / total weight back thing?
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Scondoro, would you mind sharing the Publisher files as well? I've got Publisher too and wouldn't mind playing around with them a bit.
Steveman

Post by Steveman »

Sorry to derail/detract from, but I wanted to share the general character sheet my offline group is using in the game we've just started.
Attachments
BFRPGcharsheet.pdf
(295.86 KiB) Downloaded 519 times
Characters:
Himamura Jin (Night Wizard; Level 6 Great One/Level 1 Caster)
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC