Equipment Emporium Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
LibraryLass

Re: Equipment Emporium Supplement

Post by LibraryLass »

Solomoriah wrote:Ah, so it's recent.
Fairly, but you'd be hard-pressed to find an old-schooler these days that doesn't use it.
In a game with different mechanics (such as, for instance, my other game Realms of Wonder), a shield is a sort of parrying weapon and not a kind of armor at all. This sort of question is natural to solve in such a game.

But changing the nature of the Core Rules is off limits, for good reason, so shields have to remain a sort of armor. I'm cool with large shields that are more encumbering but give +2 on AC, and bucklers that only affect one attacker per round, as an option in EE.
Maybe. I think the rule works best when abstracted with a single type of shield, myself.
Trollsmyth's comments about how to handle magic shields aren't so easy to brush off for me. We do, often, have magic shields in my campaign, and even if we didn't, simply ignoring the issue won't work for a published supplement. I personally dislike the idea that a character would choose to sacrifice a valuable magic item willy-nilly (though in extremis I can see it).
Generally this is, in my experience, not something that is used willy-nilly in the first place, it's something PCs save for when they're about to die and just need to hold out one more round.
Further, the rule makes sacrificing the shield a choice of the user... someone with reenactment experience might jump in here to clarify, but I don't think in general you have a choice when your shield breaks.
No, not generally, but it's not really meant to be a simulation of reality so much as a narrative choice, I think-- though in simulation terms, it's more likely to happen when actively using the shield.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Joe the Rat wrote:Mmm.. Okay, back on track, I'll cleave off weapons to work on a supplement, and splinter the armor and shields over to existing work (I have a couple tweaks to cross-reference). Straight-up Equipment is next, and from that, we'll see what fits well.
I'm in agreement with that. I'd like to see the Armor and Shields supplement (crediting the original author, yourself, and whoever else has contributed) have the up-to-date material, and I really prefer the idea of having an Equipment supplement with just the adventuring goodies.

'Cause I'd use the latter, but not the former, and others might do it the other way 'round. Keeping the supplements compact is good for us... kind of like a diet, you don't enjoy doing it, but you enjoy the results.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

LibraryLass wrote:
Solomoriah wrote:Ah, so it's recent.
Fairly, but you'd be hard-pressed to find an old-schooler these days that doesn't use it.
* raises hand *

I've been a regular here and on Dragonsfoot for years, and never heard of it until now.
LibraryLass wrote:Maybe. I think the rule works best when abstracted with a single type of shield, myself.
I can see that myself.
LibraryLass wrote:
Further, the rule makes sacrificing the shield a choice of the user... someone with reenactment experience might jump in here to clarify, but I don't think in general you have a choice when your shield breaks.
No, not generally, but it's not really meant to be a simulation of reality so much as a narrative choice, I think-- though in simulation terms, it's more likely to happen when actively using the shield.
Ah. You used the word "narrative." Nothing personal, but I don't do narrative... in general, I don't want any rules that favor the story over the game. In the whole "narrativist/simulationist/gamist" thing, we're pretty gamist here, though I'd like to think we're pragmatic enough to borrow from the other two areas when it suits us.

As I said before, I'm not ruling it out, but I'm not really in favor of it either.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

It adds tactical variety while minimizing complexity. Speaking as primarily a gamist myself that's what I think is best about it.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

To keep discussion directed for each, I'm tossing them into the workshop. Here's the weapons:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=817
Go with a smile!
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

I don't believe they're in the supplement already, and even if they are, obviously the next release is splitting it up into different parts.
But I'd like to suggest two additions to the equipment emporium

Bear Trap 5 GP 15 lbs
Caltrops, bag 1 GP 2 lbs

Bear traps or Hunting traps are spring-loaded steel jaws. It takes one round to set one and place it. If a creature moves through or spends a round fighting within 5' or so of the bear trap there is a 2 in 6 chance that the trap springs shut on its foot. Being caught by a bear trap causes 1d6 damage, and the creature must save vs. Death Ray or have its leg broken, reducing its walking speed by half for 1d4+5 weeks or until it receives some form of healing. If the creature was moving or charging when it stepped on the trap, the pain forces it to stop unless the creature is mindless or cannot feel pain. A bear trap can be secured in place with a stake or spike and a length of rope or chain, holding any creature caught by the trap in place until it re-sets the trap, breaks the chain or rope, or pulls the stake out of the ground. Particularly large creatures might be too big for the trap to fit around their leg.

Caltrops are metal spikes that look like large jacks, shaped so that there is always one sharp point facing up. One bag can be scattered over a 5' area. If a creature moves through or spends a round fighting in an area scattered with caltrops, there is a 2 in 6 chance it will step on one. Heavy boots reduce the chances of stepping on a caltrop to 1 in 6. Stepping on a caltrop deals 1 point of damage and reduces the creature's walking speed by half for 24 hours or until it receives some form of healing. If the creature is attempting to move or charge through the caltrops and it steps on one, the pain forces it to stop, unless the creature is mindless or cannot feel pain.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

LibraryLass wrote:I don't believe they're in the supplement already, and even if they are, obviously the next release is splitting it up into different parts.
But I'd like to suggest two additions to the equipment emporium

Bear Trap 5 GP 15 lbs
Caltrops, bag 1 GP 2 lbs

Bear traps or Hunting traps are spring-loaded steel jaws. It takes one round to set one and place it. If a creature moves through or spends a round fighting within 5' or so of the bear trap there is a 2 in 6 chance that the trap springs shut on its foot. Being caught by a bear trap causes 1d6 damage, and the creature must save vs. Death Ray or have its leg broken, reducing its walking speed by half for 1d4+5 weeks or until it receives some form of healing. If the creature was moving or charging when it stepped on the trap, the pain forces it to stop unless the creature is mindless or cannot feel pain. A bear trap can be secured in place with a stake or spike and a length of rope or chain, holding any creature caught by the trap in place until it re-sets the trap, breaks the chain or rope, or pulls the stake out of the ground. Particularly large creatures might be too big for the trap to fit around their leg.

Caltrops are metal spikes that look like large jacks, shaped so that there is always one sharp point facing up. One bag can be scattered over a 5' area. If a creature moves through or spends a round fighting in an area scattered with caltrops, there is a 2 in 6 chance it will step on one. Heavy boots reduce the chances of stepping on a caltrop to 1 in 6. Stepping on a caltrop deals 1 point of damage and reduces the creature's walking speed by half for 24 hours or until it receives some form of healing. If the creature is attempting to move or charge through the caltrops and it steps on one, the pain forces it to stop, unless the creature is mindless or cannot feel pain.
I like these
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

There are some revisions to the items list in the MU Options supplement, so I wanted to let you guys know about them.

p. 14: I'm dropping wyvern ink (it came out of a misunderstanding of the Core Rules and doesn't really make sense).

Also, on books: The way medieval books were made, sets of 4 long sheets of paper folded in half and stitched together would probably be the most common unit of measurement, so 'per 16 pages' would be better than 'per 25.' In any case, the page count should be even numbers.

p. 16: The description of wyvern ink should be dropped.

Under 'Spellbook': "The Magic-Users' starting books is assumed to be a Traveling book" => "... Magic-User's ... book"

Below that: "(Note: If bound books are not the standard is your campaign" => "... in your ..."

Under 'Books & Tomes': "Books – can by leather or hardbound" => "Books can be"
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Had we reached a decision on what the "default" spellbook was for starting MUs (per BFRPG3e)?
Go with a smile!
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

I have general equipment split out now as well (including clothing). We've talked in the past about subdividing the "main" list - if anyone has an idea on how to split it, I'm all ears.

The spinoff is over here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=819
Go with a smile!