Necromancer Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Re: Necromancer Supplement

Post by SmootRK »

Now, I don't have time for a full fledged edit of the file for a new release, but there seems to be a lot of content in those spells that ought to get pulled into the Necromancer supplement.

Chiisu, have time to pull in that material for a new release? Otherwise, anyone want to do the initial work and have Chiisu review the changes?

The Necromancer has been one of the most used supplements, and makes for a great BBEG for Game Masters. I would love to see some new work on it, especially with Halloween coming up again next month!
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Crazycrypt and I are working on a necromantic cleric right now; just haven't nailed down the details, or come up with a good name.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:Crazycrypt and I are working on a necromantic cleric right now; just haven't nailed down the details, or come up with a good name.
Bokor is my favorite Necro-ish term, especially for religious oriented. Very Voodoo faith oriented, so depending on your angle on it, might or might not fit well.
JakeCWolf

Post by JakeCWolf »

So a question then a discrepancy I've found between materials, first the question; What does BBEG mean? Second I've noticed that in the Necromancer supplement the Spade is listed as a 1d4 weapon, yet in the Equipment Emporium it's listed as a 1d6. Thought it was worth noting.

As far as voodoo clerics go you could make a total spin on it and allow them to "enslave" people and monsters put them into a "zombie like" trance that makes them totally obedient and fearless without any of the benefits (or drawbacks) of being truly undead.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

BBEG = Big Bad Evil Guy or something very similar. Usually meaning the major bad-guy near end of a particular adventure/dungeon.

Spade = variation on club in my mind, however the Equipment Emporium did a lot of referencing and importing from established sources, so I would lean towards EE being more correct.
Grimfall

Post by Grimfall »

A "Crypt Keeper" jumps immediately to mind when you talk about a death-focused cleric. Something like this:
Crypt Keeper Pencils small.jpg
Crypt Keeper Pencils small.jpg (24.91 KiB) Viewed 6466 times
Nycto

Post by Nycto »

Hello! Brand new here, so I don't know if this is the right place to post something like this, but Ive noticed some missing spells on the necromancer's spell list that are mentioned in Libram Magica. I've taken the liberty of listening them in case the one who wrote this awesome class sees it and decides to update it!
Most, of not all of these come from Libram Magica (s). It's possible that there are similar missing spells for the illusionist etc.
Dead Link (1st)
Disappear (1st)
Cripple (2nd)
Dark Flame (2nd)
Decomposition (2nd)
Ether Bolt (2nd)
Shadow Staff (2nd)
Ectoplasm (3rd)
Wicked Blade (3rd)
Dark Lightning (4th)
Major Warding (4th)
Phase Door (4th)
Condemnation (5th)
Death Pact (5th)
Wall of Stone (5th)
Withering Pox (5th)
Shadow Storm (6th)
Wall of Iron (moved from 5th to 6th)
Word of Recall (6th)
Phase Door (appears in Necro document, but not Libram Magica, 7th)
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Thanks for props!

The Necromancer Supplement came out long before the work on the Libram got started, so many spells that appear in the Libram are in fact all new spells that were not even considered at the time of Necromancer work. When I worked on the Libram, the spells, lists, and tables inside were meant to effectively supersede the lists in the original documents... as I never really put much emphasis on 'constant updates' to supplements when new bits come out. I am not against a big update, but just don't want to get into a state of mind where I feel like I am never finished with something.

Pointing out Phase Door though, may be an actual accidental omission.

That said, my time is limited for my hobbies, so I do not expect to dive into an update any time soon, but I certainly give my blessing to anyone that might want to work on an update... and get duly added to credits. There is other material (spells) listed in the thread that ought to be considered and added (after solid review).

and FYI - that blessing to add to the project extends to the Libram Magica as well. I was the compiler and perhaps the primary contributor, but loads of ideas and work came from all over. I would enjoy seeing others expand and when appropriate clean up and otherwise improve things that I have worked on. It is all in the spirit of sharing around here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'd like to see the Necromancer Supplement kept compact. In particular, I'd prefer not to see a supplement that gives more spells to the Necromancer than the Core Rules gives to Magic-Users. I particularly like lists I can roll dice on, so having 8 or 10 or 12 spells in a level is quite nice. I'd also prefer not to see a longer spell list at a higher level than at any lower level, mainly for aesthetic reasons.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:I'd like to see the Necromancer Supplement kept compact. In particular, I'd prefer not to see a supplement that gives more spells to the Necromancer than the Core Rules gives to Magic-Users. I particularly like lists I can roll dice on, so having 8 or 10 or 12 spells in a level is quite nice. I'd also prefer not to see a longer spell list at a higher level than at any lower level, mainly for aesthetic reasons.
I can agree to this. When I was writing the supplement, the aim was to have unique spell lists that were otherwise about the same (qty and/or scope) as what a normal MU had available... just different. No reason to have an omnibus of necromantic magic spells included in the supplement, but just a basic assortment of decent spells that makes the class workable.

That said, expanding the Libram Magica is where a lot of new spells can still be added if anyone wants to get busy with a supplement. Adding spells there would be an ideal place to avoid bloat in the individual supplements.