Necromancer Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Necromancer Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

Post your comments on the Necromancer Supplement here.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#necromancers
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Re: Grave Master Supplement

Post by SmootRK »

I got some feedback on the Grave Master over at Dragonsfoot, funny enough, in a Druid thread.
tilfordkage1985 wrote:If it helps with with the process, I am Dming a game that has a Grave Master in it and I could keep updating you?

So far:

He uses his scimitar quite a bit, and , in my opinion, a scythe, dagger, and staff are enough weapons for the class, but as for spells, he seemed to start out TOO weak for this concept. I allowed him to start with 2 spells.

Of course, I allow magic-users to start out with their INT modifier in known spells, so take that last bit at face value. If this should go else where, feel free to berate me, but just thought I'd lend a hand in my new favorite RPG!
Then my reply:
SmootRK wrote:Good feedback for Grave Master. I would offer that even first level MUs are terribly weak (being akin to a one shot magic item that walks). Any house rules that you apply towards a standard MU ought to go to a Grave Master as well (or Illusionist for that matter), as they are modeled directly as MUs with alternate spell choices. Scimitar issue may be valid, as it was a remnant of the original Death Master npc class found in Dragon Magazine 73... flavor mostly, and something that could go (leaving sickles, spades, daggers, staffs, and the Scythe).

thanks for feedback... I have been eagerly waiting for some actual playtest results (as even I have yet to get any use out of it). I will keep it all in mind for r2.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Here is a little piece to enhance the Grave Master - a new seventh level spell and the critter summoned by it. By the way, the spell progression for Grave Masters is the same for standard MUs, so one can consult the Spell Supplement (or Almanack) for 7th level spells and apply it to Grave Masters as well.

Part I: MONSTER ENTRY

Headless Horseman
Armor Class: According to armor worn
Hit Dice: 7+***
No. of Attacks: 1 weapon (also see Mount)
Damage: 1d8 or by weapon (also see Mount)
Movement: 30' subject to encumbrance (also see Mount)
No. Appearing: 1 (plus Mount)
Save As: Fighter: 7+
Morale: special
Treasure Type: Non-magical gear worn
XP: 860

A Headless Horseman is a powerful lich-like undead warrior that is typically summoned by powerful necromancers and tasked with foul deeds that usually include hunting down and slaying individuals. Each Horseman is an individual and usually appears in knightly garb similar to that they wore in life only darker and more grim (albeit all non-magical). Of course, as their name indicates, they are headless, but may appear with jack-o-lanterns in lieu of their actual head, ghost-like vestiges, vacant helmets and hoods, or other variations on this theme. When viewing a Horseman, characters of less than fifth level and intelligent monsters of less than 5 hit dice must save versus Spells of be stricken with fear, running away with no thought of their personal safety. All normal animals shun such undead beings.

Each Horseman is a fighter (or appropriate subclass, if such supplements are being utilized) with a level equivalent to their hit dice, and the Horseman attacks appropriately and otherwise gets all benefits of the class. If the GM utilizes supplemental rules such as weapon specialization, then Horsemen would employ such means as well. A Horseman can be turned as Vampires, but with 4 added to the difficulty. As with all undead, they are immune to sleep, charm, and hold magic, as well as cold, acid, poison, and electricity.

Without fail, each Horseman is always accompanied by his mount, usually an undead version of a warhorse or similar creature. Occasionally, a more powerful mount might accompany a higher level Horseman such as a Nightmare, undead Hippogriff or Griffon, or even monstrosities such a Wyvern or a Dragon. Regardless, the mount will attack along with the Horseman in the most efficient way possible. These undead mounts are fearless and can only be turned if the Horseman himself is turned.

Unlike liches and other free-willed undead, a Horseman is summoned for a task, and he will largely ignore others in order to pursue his task. However, the Horseman is intelligent and will eliminate any who stand in his way or otherwise impede his progress. Horsemen are obviously capable warriors, but against the individual chosen by their summoner a Horseman is especially potent. Each hit upon such victims requires a save versus paralysis as if hit by a Hold Person spell. Once paralyzed, on the next round, the Horseman will attempt to remove the head of the victim and depart the area. Any who attempting to prevent the beheading will be attacked.

The summoner must have possession of the actual skull of the Horseman in order to maintain control over him. If possession of the skull is lost, the horseman will attempt to gain possession of the skull with all the same fervor of his appointed task. If the Horseman regains his skull there is a chance that the Horseman becomes a free-willed undead, often remaining to haunt a familiar territory during periods of importance to the Horseman. Such free-willed Horsemen will attempt to regain their original equipment (often magical) and may become quite powerful in their own right.

Part 2: SPELL

Call Horseman Range: 20'
Grave Master 7 Duration: special

This spell calls forth a Headless Horseman which is subsequently given a task to accomplish such as the slaying of one individual. The skull of an appropriately leveled warrior (of the mounted variety) is required to complete the summoning. The maximum level of the summoned Headless Horseman is equal to the caster's level or the actual level of the horseman at the time of his death (whichever is lowest). Thus the aspiring summoner usually works to get the most powerful warrior available, often by arranging the death of the warrior.

Each Horseman is an individual and usually appears in knightly garb similar to that they wore in life only darker and more grim (albeit all non-magical). Of course, as their name indicates, they are headless, but may appear with jack-o-lanterns in lieu of their actual head, ghost-like vestiges, vacant helmets and hoods, or other variations on this theme. The mount of the horseman is always summoned alongside its master. See the Headless Horseman monster entry for additional details and statistics.

The summoner must have possession of the actual skull of the Horseman in order to maintain control over him. If possession of the skull is lost, the horseman will attempt to gain possession of the skull with all the same fervor of his appointed task. If successful, the Horseman may become free-willed or simply vanish (GM's discretion). The spell can only be cast during the night (even if summoned underground), and the Horseman (and mount) remains until the task is complete or the sun rises. The spell must be recast the following night if the task was left unfinished.

The GM might allow other classes access to this spell. The spell remains seventh level, but the maximum level of the horseman is half the level of the caster (instead of equal to the Grave Master's level).
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

I like the supplement (r2). You have some pretty cool new spells.

I have some copy-editing notes. (I know, everyone hates proofreaders, but that's what I do.)

In the legend on p2 it says that Almanack or Spell Supplement spells are marked w/ (s), but in the spell lists they are marked w/ (ss). Also, the Call Horseman spell isn't marked as a Grave Master spell (gm), though it says it might be open to other MUs, so maybe that's why. All the other 7th level spells come from the Almanack, so I think they need an (s) or (ss) mark, unless it's just assumed players will know that. On the Embalm cantrip, the range is 20' and the duration is 'touch,' which is a bit confusing.

On the spells, Embalm seems pretty powerful for a cantrip. It makes sense, but I imagine a high-level Grave Master casting a bunch of Embalm cantrips and then raising a squad of high HP zombies. Since the +2/HD is permanent, that's actually a fairly powerful spell, giving each zombie +4 HP.

I love the Call Horseman spell. That's just wicked, in the best kind of way.
Sir Bedivere
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Actually I like good proofers... their (your) efforts improve things that we miss, making us look better in the end. Feel free to nitpick my stuff as much as you can stand! 8-)
In the legend on p2 it says that Almanack or Spell Supplement spells are marked w/ (s), but in the spell lists they are marked w/ (ss). Also, the Call Horseman spell isn't marked as a Grave Master spell (gm), though it says it might be open to other MUs, so maybe that's why. All the other 7th level spells come from the Almanack, so I think they need an (s) or (ss) mark, unless it's just assumed players will know that. On the Embalm cantrip, the range is 20' and the duration is 'touch,' which is a bit confusing.
You are right. We will need to review and update this stuff.. I will take a look at the text to see where we goofed and get it corrected.
On the spells, Embalm seems pretty powerful for a cantrip. It makes sense, but I imagine a high-level Grave Master casting a bunch of Embalm cantrips and then raising a squad of high HP zombies. Since the +2/HD is permanent, that's actually a fairly powerful spell, giving each zombie +4 HP.
I will give this thought... but it is meant as +2 per hit die (up to maximum hit points per die roll), not a flat bonus like Constitution would grant. Changing it to a single point of bonus would be a reasonable tweak if consensus thinks it is too powerful for a cantrip.
I love the Call Horseman spell. That's just wicked, in the best kind of way.
Thanks... but thank Tim Burton and Johnny Depp's "Sleepy Hollow" for the inspiration here.
Nightwulf

Post by Nightwulf »

Where is this or did you rename it
It Sounds really cool
Today you will meet a beautiful stranger. Actually hundreds of beautiful strangers. Everyone is beautiful and you know almost none of them.
~Welcome To Night Vale
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

It was renamed the Necromancer to avoid any trouble with Len Lakofka (spelling for his name) who had his own "Death Master" back in Dragon Magazine #76 (if I remember correctly... back in the 80's).

It isn't a copy of that material, though it draws upon the general idea of Grave Robbing sort of Magic-User.

Look in the Downloads section (not the Showcase).
Nightwulf

Post by Nightwulf »

Thanks that means I already have it yay :D
Today you will meet a beautiful stranger. Actually hundreds of beautiful strangers. Everyone is beautiful and you know almost none of them.
~Welcome To Night Vale
Shonuff

Post by Shonuff »

okay, looking this over.....i want to do some illos for this.

Spells and action shots and monsters , oh MY!
jackel

Post by jackel »

Stop it, Shonuff. Your making me as giddy as a Necromancer in a graveyard! 8-)