[AA3] Cult of the Green Skull

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
GM Parseth

[AA3] Cult of the Green Skull

Post by GM Parseth »

I'm fairly new to making my own adventures (have ran many, many before) but I've been getting a strong itch to make my own. This is a first draft (still very rough and no where near complete) of a "first dungeon" for a party of new players to deal with. I've kept it open ended and such for GMs to modify as they see fit. This is all just so I can get comfortable making adventures and such to prepare me for my "mega adventure" that should take a party from level 1 to 10 (or so) I'm still concepting.

It's not done in the BFRPG adventure template yet. Once I'm comfortable with it and feel it's done I'll upload it in that template style.

NOTE - the map is not included just yet, I'm still tweaking room sizes and such. I expect it to be included in the first update, Draft 2.

Accepting any and all critiques as well, please.

Edit: this is now in AA3
Working on - The Fallen City & The Baroness of Blood
orobouros

Re: Very first project

Post by orobouros »

Not a bad start. I recently wrote my own mini-campaign (meant to be played in one session) and found it to be quite the enjoyable project. Two things really helped me.

One, read read read read read stuff online about adventures and modules and such. You definitely want to avoid a railroad (unless you very specifically know you want a railroad adventure). There's a wealth of material on creating adventures, much of it listing things that are obvious issues once you're told but are hard to guess in advance without experience.

Two, many solo playthroughs on my own and making revisions. Play your characters dumb once and see if they get absolutely slaughtered (happened to me once). Play them through nearly omniscient and see if they still face some challenge -- a 50 HP monster is probably going to wreck a 1st level party unless it happens to be standing under a giant flaming spiked 1000 rpm chainsaw with diamond blades.

Also, one good bit of advice I was given for running the dungeon was this: have a question in mind for the adventure you'd like to see the players answer. For me it was a question of "do they try to stealth the game and get around with diplomacy or go full murder hobo." Other interesting questions for your setup might be if the players really care about the hassle of saving childern (perhaps at their own peril) or if they just want to "clear the dungeon."
GM Parseth

Post by GM Parseth »

Currently adding HP and properly highlighting treasures and traps for the GM. Have the dungeon map done. Should have an update on the adventure in the next day or two.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Reads pretty well so far. Def interested to see how this evolves and grows once the map, etc. is included. Take advantage of the template and style guide linked in my signature. This just may need to be included in the eventual AA3. 8-)
GM Parseth

Post by GM Parseth »

Thanks. Still tweaking it right now. R2 will still be in the format it's in now and have the map. R3 will be edited and finalized into the style guide and any subsequent revisions will be to tweak and edit them. So far I'm happy with it though.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

You might find the checkboxer handy:

http://basicfantasy.org/checkboxer.html
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
GM Parseth

Re: SP1 Cult of the Green Skull

Post by GM Parseth »

Welp, caught the flu pretty badly and lost the energy to work on the module. Once I'm feeling right and proper again in a day or two I should be able to pound it out in no time, just need to get those checkboxers you linked Solomoriah done and some more fluff put in the front of the module.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Hope you feel better! Here's a get well gift :D
Attachments
SP1-Cult-of-the-Green-Skull-r2.pdf
(160 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
SP1-Cult-of-the-Green-Skull-r2.odt
(29.18 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
ChiYouSlyBoots.gif
ChiYouSlyBoots.gif (3.61 MiB) Viewed 7463 times
GM Parseth

Post by GM Parseth »

chiisu81 wrote:Hope you feel better! Here's a get well gift :D
:o
And here I was about to post mine up but not edited for BFRPG standards yet. You, Chii, are truly awesome and have my thanks! I feel bad though about you not being cited as a contributor so I will be adding that in. Again, thank you thank you thank you!
GM Parseth

Post by GM Parseth »

After a bit of editing to fit in the needed empty slots, here is r3 of the module!
Attachments
SP1-Cult-of-the-Green-Skull-r3.odt
(474.31 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
SP1-Cult-of-the-Green-Skull-r3.pdf
(427.19 KiB) Downloaded 378 times