Jumping

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Fastjack2xs

Jumping

Post by Fastjack2xs »

We had an issue about "jumping" come up during a game session a couple of weeks ago. We looked all through the core rules and couldn't find a single thing about jumping. After that we began looking through all the supplemental rules found on this site and the only thing we could find on the subject of jumping was found in the "Secondary Skills" supplement, which we do not use. Also, we did not really like the rule description as it was given in the "Secondary Skills" supplement because it doesn't really "fit" the BFRPG system as given in the core rules. Therefore, we tried to come up with a way to perform the (sometimes dangerous) action of jumping, while staying within the chance based spirit of the core rules. The following is what we came up with:
Attachments
Jumping.odt
(17.34 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
orobouros

Re: Jumping

Post by orobouros »

Sounds like a good way to handle it. Personally, if it came up in my game I'd use the general rules for ability checks, and use both dexterity and strength as inputs depending on the situation. Jumping down a long distance safely is probably more a strength question, swinging rope to rope more a dexterity question.
Numberlyric

Post by Numberlyric »

I like the rule letting characters jump over one square(a 5' gorge) with a standing broad jump, and jump over 3 squares (15') with a running jump. Jumping 10' means safely jumping over a square (a 5' gorge). jumping 20' means safely jumping over 3 squares (a 15' gorge).

I would make this jump automatic (no roll), shortening distances for encumbrance, increasing distances for strength modifiers.

But if you wanted to "Push" it, by broad jumping over two squares (a 10' gorge) i would ask for a dex check. The idea is you are not jumping from center of square to center of square, Instead you are trying to jump from the leading edge of your starting square and just barely land on the near edge of a target square.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I always liked the idea of using a dice + value distance rule, but never settled on one.
One possibility is: half movement in feet + race based dice*5 feet
Another was a flat value with + race dice + STR, modified by encumbrance.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/