Monk: a Clerical Sub-Class

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Nekron99

Monk: a Clerical Sub-Class

Post by Nekron99 »

Has anyone done a write up for a the Monk? Here is what I am using for my group at home.
Anyone see any glaring, obvious or not so obvious mistakes or over/under powering?
Tried to do it in the BFRPG format so it looks pretty.

A pretty weak character at the beginning, but by 4th they start to hold their own. The higher levels make for some pretty awesome NPCs.

What do you all think?
Attachments
Monk Sub-Class.doc
(81.5 KiB) Downloaded 625 times
Player: I drink the potion!
DM: Are you sure you want to do that?
Player: Um, no. Maybe, Why, do you think it would be stupid?
SmootRK

Re: Monk: a Clerical Sub-Class

Post by SmootRK »

Monks are such a complex class with all the diverse abilities... I would want to hear from any play-testing, preferably from a few different sources using different playing styles and an array of levels before passing any hard judgements. But... that is often hard to come by for the BFRPG community.

Perhaps you could pass this along to Joe the Rat to include in his upcoming Clerical Supplement. If my game calls for a Monk sort of character sometime, I will try to utilize it and pass along any feedback from the playtesting.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
artikid

Post by artikid »

You can find my take on monks in this thread:
http://basicfantasy.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=265
Nekron99

Post by Nekron99 »

Hey I like that "Adept". I did a search for Monk on the forum and must have missed your post before posting my version. Both are the same basic thing (get it "Basic thing", and this is Basic Fantasy...I crack myself up sometimes) anyhow, yours is a lot cleaner and explains the skills and abilities a bit better. I may go with yours as my "Official" BFRPG monk class, I humbly bow to your Adept!.

I do agree with SmootRK in that there are so many variations of the monk that it can get confusing real fast. Oriental martial versions vs the more clerical European flavored ones. Mine and Mr Artikid's version falls mainly into the "mystical" oriental realm while a more occidental monk would fall more under the cleric class. That is not to say that a DM can't have it his way in his own world and do what he wants, with ninja skilled clerical monks, shaved heads, brown robes, and throwing stars.
Mr Gygax said once that he would get very patiently annoyed when someone would say that his fantasy world was not very realistic, well duh! I mean, yeah, you could go realistic and have your monks just sit around being scribes and offering healing and rest for weary travelers, but what player wants to do that. Sometimes "Realistic" is not the best way to go.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

First things first "Noooohlordsweetmercifulaardentreebeardgiverofallthingsthatgrowthepainthepainaplagueuponbothhousesandthehorseyourodeinon"

I will share an anecdote. Back in the day, when I first got my grubby little hands on the AD&D PHB, I came across the Monk. Not at the time being versed in Eastern martial arts (and only dimly aware of David Carradine Walking the Wild West), I translated monk into the closest mental image I had - Friar Tuck. Share with me the image of fat happy tonctured monks in brown robes slapping the crap out of people ("open-handed", see), outrunning horses, feigning death, and leaping down walls unharmed. Yeah...

Looks like you've got all of the elements of the classic monk here. The low multiple requisites means a little under 3 1/2 % of 'traditionally' rolled characters can qualify - which I think is a reasonable number - plus it ensures no penalties in the essential attributes. It also looks like they still have the classic "dies a lot until level 6" thing going too. Play testing ought to be fun on this.

I'm thinking monks (of any stripe) would be an interesting addition to Clerics (probably in a 'discussion-as-example' model, akin to druids) for three reasons: 1) "Classic" monks are a great example of followers of a philosophy-based religion, 2) it's an example of a 'no-magic' cleric variant, and 3) Having the various monk abilities as fodder for mix-and-match clerical abilities. Picture if you will a God of Strength whose followers get normal spell progression, wear light or medium-weight armor, and trade undead blasting and weapon options for club, bigger club, Monk unarmed strikes, and wrestling-with-impunity.

Looking at weapons, I think you may want make note of alignment in use. The blowgun is not a weapon that appears to fit the up-and-up (good) versions of monks, but is part of the milieu (note more likely to be used by monastic orders that focus a bit more on, say assassination, for example). Also, nets need an entangling rule.
Go with a smile!
artikid

Post by artikid »

Nekron99 wrote: That is not to say that a DM can't have it his way in his own world and do what he wants, with ninja skilled clerical monks, shaved heads, brown robes, and throwing stars.
LOL!!!! :lol:
Nekron99

Post by Nekron99 »

Yeah, now see that's where I fall short, I only use the basic three religions in my campaigns (Good, Neutral, and Evil) so I did not even think about the different gods gifting different abilities to their followers.
Joe the Rat wrote: "fat happy tonctured monks in brown robes slapping the crap out of people ("open-handed", see), outrunning horses, feigning death, and leaping down walls unharmed. Yeah..."
Now that was funny! :lol:

Regarding the weapons: I think the blowgun just fell in there cause I have one and play with it a lot, and personally have yet to assassinate anyone (not knowingly anyhow). But I see your point about the perceived use of it. And I agree with the net and entangling as well. Matter of fact I was contemplating only allowing non lethal weapons (Chuck Norrris abilities aside) to keep them in with the more peaceful vision I have for them. Pretty much going with the David Carradine version that you mentioned, but what player would want to go around earning experience points for not kicking butt? What's he gonna do give massages and acupuncture treatments for to go up in levels?
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

It's not so much the lethality as the approach. Barring the most ridiculous of aimed shots, using a blowgun against something as large as a person generally implies the use of poison. This is usually considered less-than-good. Perfectly fitting for assassin monks though.
Go with a smile!
Nekron99

Post by Nekron99 »

Well now some of those older blowguns use pretty big darts, it's just the little commercial toys they sell that only fire the needles. But I got your point, and it is still not the best image for a "clerical" monk to portray. OK then the blowgun is out, or at least optional for the evil assassin monks.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

In as an option - I don't think anyone else has brought them in yet.
Go with a smile!