The guiding design principles (copied from the document) were:
- With the exception of casting spells, no actions need to be declared in advance.
- Initiative is determined per side, not individually.
- There are no simultaneous actions, ties in initiative are always broken in favor of the PCs.
- If you have the initiative, you usually have the chance to strike first in melee, even if you must wait for your opponent to approach.
- The actions that can be readied to interrupt an opponent are (mostly) limited to melee and missile attacks triggered under specific conditions.