Giant Ferrets with Human Heads

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dead_Bread

Giant Ferrets with Human Heads

Post by Dead_Bread »

Good Afternoon all

I am getting a game ready for the Xmas holidays, and my eldest son asked if he could play as something rather unusual. I thought I'd humor him and try and sort this out for him, but I was wondering if anyone here would check my homework so to speak?

"Fatum Faucibusorci usually measure 5 feet in length, and rather than adopting any kind of true anthropomorphism, have adopted what they believe to be the best elements of Human and Ferret physiology: that is, all the reasoning, higher thinking and communication skills of the modern man, plus his size, but with all the skills, abilities and cuteness of the domesticated polecat known as a Ferret.

Stat Restrictions:
Minimum Dexterity 9
Maximum Constitution 12

Restrictions for Race: Cannot use Armour unless specially made, and even then anything more than Leather Armour will negate certain skills. Cannot use Shields, Cannot use any two handed weapons or missile weapons of any kind.

Can only be surprised on a roll of 1 on a D6
Are Excellent swimmers, but tire easily (not sure how to represent this)
All Fatum can use the Thief skills Move Silently, Climb Walls, Hide and Sneak Attack.
Can use the Assassin skill Shadowing
Can use the Barbarian skills Alertness, Animal Reflexes, Hunter and Runner
Can use the Jester skill Catch Object

Fatum can become Fighters, Great Way Adepts, Jesters, Rangers, Scouts and Thieves. Any Skill in these classes that depend on manual dexterity becomes more difficult to the tune of about 20%, where as any skill using natural movement, agility or charm becomes easier by about 20%.

Saving throws get a +4 across the board, and never roll higher than D6 for hit points regardless of class."
Dimirag

Re: Giant Ferrets with Human Heads

Post by Dimirag »

Welcome to the forum, your race invention seem more like a race-as-class situation, having to many class skills, specially if they are able to improve them by leveling.

Here is my take, I removed some class-skill as to leave importance to the class selection and to not OP the race

Fatum Faucibusorci

Description: Fatum Faucibusorci usually measure 5 feet in length, and rather than adopting any kind of true anthropomorphism, have adopted what they believe to be the best elements of Human and Ferret physiology: that is, all the reasoning, higher thinking and communication skills of the modern man, plus his size, but with all the skills, abilities and cuteness of the domesticated polecat known as a Ferret.

Restrictions: Fatum can become Fighters, Great Way Adepts, Jesters, Rangers, Scouts or Thieves. They are required to have a minimum Dexterity of 9 and due to their delicate nature and small body can't have a Constitution score above 12. They cannot use armor unless specially made (having greater cost than normal) nor use shields or two handed or missile weapons of any kind. Fatum never roll larger than d6 Hit Points.

Special Abilities: Due to their high senses Fatum can only be surpised on a roll of 1 on a d6. They are great swimmers, moving their normal movement unimpeded on water unless they are heavy loaded or wearing armor.
They are able to hide very effectively; so long as they remain still there is only a 30% chance they will be detected. Even indoors or in dungeons they are able to hide such that there is only a 60% chance of detection. Fatum move silently 30% of the time, and are 80% able to climb walls.

Saving Throws: Fatum save at +4 vs Dragon Breath, Magic Wands and Spells.

Class Skill Modifiers: Any depending on manual dexterity suffer a -20% penalty. Any skill using natural movement, agility or charm earns a +20%.

Note: This should be moved to the Workshop
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Dead_Bread

Post by Dead_Bread »

Aw nuts, I knew I'd make a mistake in posting somewhere.

I appreciate your comments: I saw that some Demi Humans had starting skills raccoon Spot Traps etc, and wanted to compensate for the lack of weapons and armour the race would have with some of these. Do you think I went overboard with them?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Don't confuse Special Abilities with Skills, specially Thieving Skills, things like Spot Traps has a flat chance that does not increase per level, while Detect Traps does increase per level. Same for Hide, that is why I modified some of the skill you've chosen into flat values to better represent racial special abilities.

Even with the weapon prohibition and the armor cost downgrade it felt like it had to many benefits and some overlapping one like move silently and hunter, and and animal reflex and the ability to only be surprised on a 1 in 6 chances.

Some other skills, even if changed into flat values just felt better as things learned as part of a specific class. Just remember that just because a race or class does not tell you can do something, does not necessary means that you can't, go on a case by case basis, class and racial special abilities are better than the standard.
Dead_Bread

Post by Dead_Bread »

Thanks, this is some seriously good advice :)
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

You're welcome