Beginner's Essentials

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Sir Bedivere

Re: Beginner's Essentials

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Solomoriah wrote:All I'm saying is, it's not "better fix that," it's "better fix that later."

Trying to save you some hassle here.
Yes, good point. Besides, with the new semester my free time seems to have evaporated.
Hywaywolf wrote:If you update it, please don't delete the 2e version since I will still be using the 2e version until the 3e is available for purchase on amazon. Even then, if I ever have friends playing they would probably be using my old 2e books and the 2e version would still be useful then.
We can always keep a 2e version here in the forums.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Time for me to start thinking about r7 and 3rd Edition.

First, everyone wants a character record sheet, but we never settled on which one to include. Since this supplement is for true beginners, which one would be best for them?

Second ... NB, I looked back through the thread and it answered my questions, so I'm deleting them to save everyone time.
Last edited by Sir Bedivere on Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Another issue is, if we pick a record sheet to include, how do I incorporate it into the odt file? All the record sheets are done in ods (Calc format) or PDF, and they doesn't seem to neatly import into the BE file.

I can insert the record sheet in PDF into the PDF of Beginner's Essentials, but that makes the ODT file incomplete.

Do someone know a magic trick for this, or do I need to design a record sheet in my Writer file?

Anyway, unless someone thinks another record sheet is better for beginners, I'm thinking of going with the good old Standard Character Sheet.
Last edited by Sir Bedivere on Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

I've tracked down frzntoz's suggestions and here are my thoughts and questions.

First, I think I'll swap the combat and gear sections, as he suggests. That makes sense.

He recommends adding gear descriptions. Any thoughts on that?

He also recommends getting rid of equipment that first level characters can't afford, like the warhorse and plate armor, and silver weapons as it's unlikely they'll fight lycanthropes at that level. Any thoughts?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I think the standard sheet would be best; of course we could add a note that plenty of others are available for download on the BFRPG website.

I tried copying+pasting the standard sheet into an ODT file, lemme know if it can work or not (I did have to size it down a bit).

Solo will be the one to confirm/make a ruling, but I believe once 3E is done 2E will be pulled down, just as 2E replaced 1E. I would recommend working on a 3E Beginners Essentials and post to this thread, but it likely won't be placed on the Downloads page until 3E has been released.

I agree with removing equipment that isn't affordable right off the bat. As far as adding equipment descriptions, I guess you can copy+paste what's in the core rules if needed...
Attachments
BFRPGsheet.odt
(31.04 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Phht. Beginner's Essentials won't probably be a print release at any time that I can foresee, so why worry about which edition it is?

Especially since 3rd Edition is mostly errata and a handful of monsters.

What, seriously, would be different between 2nd and 3rd editions that would affect BE?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I don't think this would ever need (warrant) a print release.

The BE does refer to specific page numbers, so it will absolutely have to be updated and noted which version of the Core Rules it points to (as the current release does).

Edit: if specific page references are removed then this is moot.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Also, equipment lists.

I could take out the page numbers and just refer users to the appropriate sections in the core rules.

The idea of a print version for this seems weird, unless it becomes part of a starter kit or something like that.

Chiisu81: Thanks. It works, but the formatting is a little weird now. Also, I suspect I'm having font issues. I'm using a different computer and have switched to LibreOffice, so somewhere in there I probably lost the fonts.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I edited the text body style to use 9.5 like the FG and such, and it seems to fit much better. Also, I removed the "First Edition" on the title page, as with the removal of the specific page number references this isn't really needed. I will PM you a link for the needed fonts.
Attachments
BF-BeginnersEssentials-r7.odt
(580.69 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Thanks!