¡Basic Fantasy en español!

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
magicedit

Re: ¡Basic Fantasy en español!

Post by magicedit »

Hey I see that work is progressing on the the spells section (hoping for an edit invite soon :D ). For reference, here is a fairly extensive list of spell translations that I found.

Listo de Conjuros D&D
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Please, do NOT copy and paste from any works that aren't already part of the project!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
magicedit

Post by magicedit »

Solo, that makes sense. I went and read up some more on copyright and realize this is a very bad idea.

On a related license note, although the 3.5 SRD was never translated into Spanish (or maybe any other language, for that matter), it appears the 5ed SRD is currently being officially translated into Spanish. Does anyone know if OGL stuff can be freely mixed together as long as it's all attributed? Mostly curious at this point, I suspect most of the BF translation will be done before the SRD is translated.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

* standard note about I'm not a lawyer or any kind of expert, do at your own risk, speak with an actual lawyer if you're in doubt, etc. etc. *

I presume what Kerc is doing is a literal translation of BFRPG into Spanish, and with Solo's permission can still label it as BFRPG, use Product Identity, etc. (same goes for Dustinian's hosting of the BFRPG SRD).

If you (magicedit) or anyone else wish to do something besides a literal translation of BFRPG into Spanish, i.e. combining BFRPG with the DnD 5E SRD (and possibly other sources), then yes you can mix and match, copy and paste, as long as that content is released under the OGL 1.0a. You can ONLY use content released as Open Content; be sure to read each document's license for what is marked as Product Identity (usually artwork, design/layout, maps, unique names, etc.), as those items CANNOT be used unless you obtain permission from that publisher/person (for BFRPG specifically, note the conditions listed at the end of the core rules in the product identity license).
magicedit

Post by magicedit »

chiisu81 wrote:* standard note about I'm not a lawyer or any kind of expert, do at your own risk, speak with an actual lawyer if you're in doubt, etc. etc. *

I presume what Kerc is doing is a literal translation of BFRPG into Spanish, and with Solo's permission can still label it as BFRPG, use Product Identity, etc. (same goes for Dustinian's hosting of the BFRPG SRD).
It is a straight translation. In general, the link I shared and this line of questioning is meant to figure ways to make the Spanish BFRPG translation as consistent and as easy as possible to use for people already familiar with existing DnD works in Spanish. I was curious since as best I can tell the BFRPG rules draw technical concepts and spell names from the 3.5 SRD, and like I said before, there was never a 3.5 SRD released in Spanish.

If there was a Spanish 3.5 SRD, the obvious answer for the sake of consistency and ease of understanding would be if one could safely use the translated technical concepts and spell names from the 3.5 SRD. But after Solo made it clear it was a bad idea to use even translated spell names, I did some more digging. This is when I found out there was no 3.5 Spanish SRD, so as far as I know any translations were only ever released in the Spanish PHB, and I think those translations therefore have a very ambiguous relationship to the OGL. And obviously the preferred choice here is to avoid those translations.

However, since I assume many of the technical concepts and spell names from 3.5 SRD will carry over to the 5.0 SRD, it would allow for using the 5.0 SRD translations for terms that are the same between editions. There is no interest in bringing in any of the 5.0 rules or PI, just the translations of any rules terms the editions share (under the hope that 5.0 will use the same translations as 3.5). Therefore, I am glad to hear that, with the caveat that it is not a legal opinion, it may be acceptable to mix in OGL 1.0a content from the 5.0 SRD Spanish translation.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

First of all, due to differences in the licenses you should stay away from 5e materials while working on this project.

I recommend you translate the names of spells etc. in whatever way is most natural for the language, with little or no reference to other materials. The lack of a Spanish version of the SRD gives you the freedom to do that. Simply be direct and methodical and don't even look at non-BFRPG materials while doing the translation.

This is more or less the advice I've given all translators, actually.
kerc

Post by kerc »

I've stopped work on this for the last month or so... I plan to get back to it!
Kerc | Dice Pencil & Paper | @dicepencilpaper
Jbastardov

Post by Jbastardov »

Is this still being worked on? I would love to help! Currently I can't check the Google Docs link, will do as soon as I am able :)
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I have updated the attachments on the first post.

As I've posted elsewhere, I don't mind if someone wants to use Google Docs or such to work on something, but I want to see attached/uploaded files, along with any URL links. Links have a tendency to eventually break, and I want any work-in-progress to remain accessible on this site/forums.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

WE want, Chi. We. I hate to see work disappear because someone drops out unexpectedly.