Core Rules French Translation

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Core Rules French Translation

Post by Solomoriah »

Working my way through it now. A couple of things you changed that I wanted to note:

First, we never use filled backgrounds on tables, as they do not reproduce reliably on all printers. They are often either too dark for comfort, or light enough that they don't show at all. That's why I use half-point lines all the time. (Hairline-width lines don't reproduce reliably either.)

At the end of the Traps section there's a nice piece of art of a skeleton with a sword that I don't recognize. Where did that come from? If it's not one of our regular artists, I'll need to add the credit (and make sure I have permission). It kind of looks like Al Cook's work... did he post one I haven't noticed yet?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I should note, overall this is looking pretty good. I need to be working on the German version also... it's not done, but it needs layout fixes before going back for the final finish.
Elwing

Post by Elwing »

Hi, I actually added 4 pictures compared to the orginal BF:
p156, the potion artwork,
p163, the flying broom (balai volant in french)
I got both of them from a document in the showcase (magic shoppe from mTeasdale, the artist credited in the licence section of the document is Al cook (i checked that before adding it, however, I do not know where the original pictures are located) : https://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=84

p178, monkey isle map, from Al cook in the artwork section of the forum viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1372#p37379

p183, the skeleton you mentioned, from Al cook too, same section of the forum
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1372#p37561

I assumed Alexander Cook (credited in the BF artwork crédits) is the great guy, so I didn't add "Al Cook" as such.

For the table shadowing, this is a usefull experience, I can remove the color as it is not that much important. I can quickly fix that, I will do an update, let me know your other findings (like pictures) once you have some time. thanks !
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Don't bother making changes to your version right now; I'm actively editing V73 with an eye toward posting (and sending you back) a V74 for review soon.

Yes, Alexander Cook is Al Cook. Your usages are fine, but I may want to track down original unretouched versions of the supplement art you mention so I can make sure it's a print-ready fit for the rulebook.
Elwing

Post by Elwing »

Perfect, I'll be waiting to review v74 then, thank you
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

You'll have to allow me some time. Final finishing is finicky business, and I'm not able to devote my full attention to it right now, but I'm working on it as I can. One issue is that all the page margins have been changed; the 1" inner, 3/4" top, bottom, and outer margins need to be that way for printing (the outer, top, and bottom aren't that critical, but if we don't have 25mm on the inside the print books are hard to use). Changing the margins causes reflowing of the document, which then must be accounted for.

Gah. Sounds like I'm complaining, but I'm not. Layout is finicky business, like I said, and I do not expect anyone else to know how to do it. Took me quite a while working on Dragonsfoot documents to master it well enough to do BFRPG in the first place, and I'm still working around my own early mistakes.

I am extraordinarily grateful to everyone who has pitched in to work on the various translations of the game; I'm hoping that the German and Spanish versions can be made print-ready this year. I'd love to see the Italian version in print as well, but I've had some (anonymous) complaints that the translation is not as good as it could be; I need a couple of native Italian readers to review it.
Elwing

Post by Elwing »

I spent some time on the layout already because french language is more lenghty than English,and this is why I reduced the margin a bit to avoid screwing up/cutting some sections.I am OK to tweak that back, using 1" inner margin and 3/4" outer, but ideally, upper and lower should be 1.5 cm (roughly 0.6").
Let me know
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm working it out. The French version will be longer, owing to the greater verbosity of the language, but that's not a big deal.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Now working my way through the monsters; I'm assuming the formatting broke down on you and you just removed the section to get rid of the columns. I do not blame you, columns plus images and tables is a bit of a nightmare the first time. I've finished the animals section... not sure how I feel about having the organization changed on me, but I'm not going to undo your work.
Elwing

Post by Elwing »

Mmh, i only added a section p67 to explain the catégories, it is indeed single column( i mat fix this ), but the whole monster section is as per the original doc, in 2 columns. Do you mean that you see it as single column section?