Simple weapon mastery for fighters

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
artikid

Simple weapon mastery for fighters

Post by artikid »

Hello,
A few ideas on a simple system for Weapon specialization for Fighters.

When a fighter (only, no sub-classes) reaches 6th level, all weapon damage gets a dice step boost:
a dagger, doing 1d4 damage, now inflicts 1d6 when wielded by a fighter. In the same way a longbow would now inflict 1d8.
The progression is:
1>1d2>1d3>1d4>1d6>1d8>1d10>1d12>2d8>3d6
Any weapon inflicting multiple dice of damage receives an additional damage dice instead

When a fighter becomes 9th level, he now can execute one additional attack per round with any kind of weapon he is wielding. This excludes Crossbows whose ROF becomes now one attack per round.

When a fighter reaches 12th level, he is so skilled in combat he breaks initiative ties. The fighter acts before any other character he's tied initiative with, excluding any other 12th or higher level fighter.
Now a Showcase supplement: http://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=112
Last edited by artikid on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Maliki

Re: Simple weapon mastery for fighters

Post by Maliki »

I like the simple nature of it, there is nothing to pick and choose, at 6th level he gets X, at 9th he gets Y and at 12th he gets Z.
artikid

Post by artikid »

Maliki wrote:I like the simple nature of it, there is nothing to pick and choose, at 6th level he gets X, at 9th he gets Y and at 12th he gets Z.
Thanks. I wanted something of a no-brainer system. No messimg around with potentially game-breaking options, no decision paralysis, no small fiddly bonuses, no stacking of bonuses.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I also like that, it makes the fighter better without the need of specific focus.

For my fighters I use the damage die rule from the start.

I just thought of an expansion for those that like to have weapon specialization with this rule:

At any level before sixth level the player chooses one weapon to specialize the fighter, at that level the fighter gets the first weapon mastery benefit, the second one comes 3 levels later and so the final one. The difference between the chosen level and the 6th level is know as "free levels"

BUT the weapon mastery for every other weapon will appear a number of levels after the level at which the benefit normally comes equal to the mount of "free levels" used above.

So, a level 1 fighter could have weapon mastery in swords from level 1 (using 5 free levels) gaining the benefits at levels 1, 4 and 7 but for every other weapon the benefits will apear at levels 11, 14 and 17.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
artikid

Post by artikid »

Updated and uploaded to the showcase!
Odt file coming soon.
http://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=112
Hexamer47

Post by Hexamer47 »

Hello!

In the first paragraph under Simple Weapon Mastery, its mentioned that a longbow would now inflict 1d8 damage, given the dice boost. But according to the Core Rules a longbow arrow already does 1d8 damage. So should that then read in the supplement that a longbow would now inflict 1d10 damage? Or am I misinterpreting the supplement?

Thanks in advance.
artikid

Post by artikid »

Hexamer47 wrote:Hello!

In the first paragraph under Simple Weapon Mastery, its mentioned that a longbow would now inflict 1d8 damage, given the dice boost. But according to the Core Rules a longbow arrow already does 1d8 damage. So should that then read in the supplement that a longbow would now inflict 1d10 damage? Or am I misinterpreting the supplement?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Hexamer47,
You are right, I wrote the longbow damage wrong. The longbow would now inflict 1d10 damage. I'll upload an update monday.
Thanks
artikid

Post by artikid »

Updated, still some issue with the odt file though.
cailano

Post by cailano »

I like this better than weapon specialization, although I think I would have preferred a straight increase to damage in the form of a modifier, rather than a new damage die.