Witch Hunter Subclass

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
spidyfan21

Witch Hunter Subclass

Post by spidyfan21 »

This class is based on the thematic combination of the Templar class in the Showcase and my previously submitted Null Mage supplement. I don't have any experience writing tables for OSR games and could use some help with that.
Attachments
Witch-Hunter.pdf
(72.45 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
Witch-Hunter.odt
(26.48 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
Dimirag

Re: Witch Hunter Subclass

Post by Dimirag »

Quick questions
Why Charisma as a requirement?
They should have a higher XP cost to compensate their abilities.
How does Detect Magic and Read Magic works with them?
I'm not convinced by the torch special ability...
The magical-elemental damage thing needs a better description...
The Null Touch needs more clarification.
A Witch Hunter weakens friendly magic while in combat?
Turn Arcane works similarly to Turning Undead?

Here's a little formatted file, it needs some info.
Attachments
BF-Witch-Hunter.odt
(21.75 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
spidyfan21

Post by spidyfan21 »

Why Charisma as a requirement?
I chose Charisma as a bonus do the "warrior-zealot" aspect of the class. Witch Hunter is a Fighter who is passionate about their cause, so charisma seemed like a good choice.
They should have a higher XP cost to compensate their abilities.
Agreed, I'll be sure to take it into consideration when building the table.
I'm not convinced by the torch special ability...
That is fair haha, this is more of a flavor ability than anything else. What good is a Witch Hunter who can't effectively burn witches.
How does Detect Magic and Read Magic works with them?
The magical-elemental damage thing needs a better description...
The Null Touch needs more clarification.
A Witch Hunter weakens friendly magic while in combat?
Turn Arcane works similarly to Turning Undead?
I'll clarify all that stuff in a new draft. Thanks for the feedback!
spidyfan21

Post by spidyfan21 »

Witch Hunter files updated.
Attachments
Witch-Hunter.pdf
(74.18 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
Witch-Hunter.odt
(29.98 KiB) Downloaded 393 times
Blood axe

Post by Blood axe »

I always think of the "Warhammer" type Witch hunter...
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I'm not fond of the nonstandard HD progression...
Does it really needs a special ability for using a torch? Fighters can use any weapon, including torches... I would prefer a improvement in its use rather than an permission.

Is detect magic a constant ability?

Is the fire attack idea to hit creatures immune to non-silvered or non-magical attacks? If so, hitting with fire an opponent requiring immune to non-magical attacks won't harm it as its immune to the fire itself...

The half-effectiveness of magic should work constantly and not only when fighting magic users, magic is magic, aversion is aversion.
spidyfan21

Post by spidyfan21 »

I'm not fond of the nonstandard HD progression...
I agree that it needs some work. The XP progression needs some finesse too, but I don't know what it should look like. Maybe that should be done last once the rest of the class is finished up. The plan for HD right now is to switch to a standardized d6 progression to ease up on the high XP costs.
Does it really needs a special ability for using a torch? Fighters can use any weapon, including torches... I would prefer a improvement in its use rather than an permission.
I should have worded that part better. In the Equipment Emporium torches deal 1d3, so gave the Witch Hunter a buff of being able to deal 1d4 damage instead, plus the fire-as-magic buff.
Is detect magic a constant ability?
Right now yes, but that ability is very subject to changes. I'm thinking a better alternative would be to have it work like the Elven version of Detect Secret Door where on a 1d6 <= 2 then can detect magic shenanigans.
Is the fire attack idea to hit creatures immune to non-silvered or non-magical attacks?
Yes
If so, hitting with fire an opponent requiring immune to non-magical attacks won't harm it as its immune to the fire itself...
My reasoning behind this ability is that Witch Hunters as a class are going to be the most fun when you are fighting magical beasties. If you are in the middle of your battle with some mythical monster and something happens to your fancy silver sword you should still have some way of feeling effective in battle. The fire as magic damage rule is there to help the Witch Hunter feel as though their training and zealotry always poses some threat to magic.
The half-effectiveness of magic should work constantly and not only when fighting magic users, magic is magic, aversion is aversion.
The idea behind that rule was that when a Witch Hunter is fighting magic they are focused on not taking magic damage, and that focus dulls the effectiveness of friendly spells targeting the Witch Hunter. This one definitely needs some work, although I'm not sure how I want it to go.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I should have worded that part better. In the Equipment Emporium torches deal 1d3, so gave the Witch Hunter a buff of being able to deal 1d4 damage instead, plus the fire-as-magic buff.
I didn't check the EE for the torches, a mention of the EE could be nice.
Right now yes, but that ability is very subject to changes. I'm thinking a better alternative would be to have it work like the Elven version of Detect Secret Door where on a 1d6 <= 2 then can detect magic shenanigans.
At first I thought about a % chance that increases in level, but a flat d6 chance may be better and more "basic".
My reasoning behind this ability is that Witch Hunters as a class are going to be the most fun when you are fighting magical beasties. If you are in the middle of your battle with some mythical monster and something happens to your fancy silver sword you should still have some way of feeling effective in battle. The fire as magic damage rule is there to help the Witch Hunter feel as though their training and zealotry always poses some threat to magic.
I understood that, but, the problem is that, per the rules a monster that is immune to fire damage will be immune to this ability, so, against a werewolf, a vampire or other creature this ability won't work as they are immune to fire unless it comes from a spell.
The idea behind that rule was that when a Witch Hunter is fighting magic they are focused on not taking magic damage, and that focus dulls the effectiveness of friendly spells targeting the Witch Hunter. This one definitely needs some work, although I'm not sure how I want it to go.
You can give them some kind of "anti-magic fury" or something similar, otherwise it feel weird that he can benefit from spells outside of combat or when not fighting a magic user.
spidyfan21

Post by spidyfan21 »

What if there was a skill to the effect of:

Bane

Witch Hunter's weapon is temporarily imbued with flames and deals damage as if it were magic damage. After each attack the player roles a 1d6, if the roll is less than 5 the effect is lost. Cannot be reused until after a rest.