Dragonkin

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Re: Dragonkin

Post by SmootRK »

Blood axe wrote:I apologize and removed any references to a certain book posted above.
No need for apology... as I completely understand that every forum member does not contemplate the big-picture of these sorts of things (and usually does not need to do such contemplation). However, when one does appear to be a hearty contributor in-the-making, we need to make sure we are all on-board with these aspects of intellectual property and the why's on our stances.

My particular inclination is to point everyone towards original content for BFRPG is best, though I also understand the general desire to get bits and pieces from other very worthy sources ported in as well... it just takes a tad more thought when importing some ideas to keep us completely legit.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Tree Ant

Post by Tree Ant »

Half-Dragon is in the d20 OGL. As are Half-Celestial, Half-Fiend, Tiefling, Drow, and Aasimar.

http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/monsters.htm

A good BFRPG port would be nice. I do like the idea of one inspired by another game, but in the basic style. Actually, a lot of the things in your recent posts I would love to see basic fantasy versions of (but haven't started making versions of my own).
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

5e imports are what is being discussed though, so if it is being pulled from that material and matches significantly to that source material, then reviewing the 5e OGL would be the hurdle. I don't particularly know for sure, as I have basically skipped 4e and beyond... but have heard generally good things about 5e overall.
Tree Ant

Post by Tree Ant »

SmootRK wrote:5e imports are what is being discussed though, so if it is being pulled from that material and matches significantly to that source material, then reviewing the 5e OGL would be the hurdle. I don't particularly know for sure, as I have basically skipped 4e and beyond... but have heard generally good things about 5e overall.
Ah, my mistake. It could provide a good base for development though. I am not familiar at all with the 5E OGL, although I think you're right that it is far less permissible.
Blood axe

Post by Blood axe »

Tree Ant wrote:Half-Dragon is in the d20 OGL. As are Half-Celestial, Half-Fiend, Tiefling, Drow, and Aasimar.

http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/monsters.htm

A good BFRPG port would be nice. I do like the idea of one inspired by another game, but in the basic style. Actually, a lot of the things in your recent posts I would love to see basic fantasy versions of (but haven't started making versions of my own).

I'm for that. I'd like to see Basic versions. The humanoid races were great. ( Orc, Bugbear, etc)
I'd like to see others like that. Half fiend, half celestial, dark elf, half dragon, etc.
I'm new to Basic and just thought I'd throw out a few ideas. Strike up some conversation. :D
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
spidyfan21

Post by spidyfan21 »

I agree. If done properly I think a handful of well done new races would add a lot of nice depth to BFRPG. Plus I think playing as a Tiefling/Drow/etc.. in an OSR style game would be a lot of fun.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

OK, so I took a quick look at 5e OGL. This edition's OGL is much more carefully crafted for the expressed intent of creating more 5e content, and specifically not for using 5e content elsewhere. I am not crafty enough to spot exploits in such a quick look.

That said, dragonborn are a listed race, as is Tiefling. but various subraces of traditional races (elf, dwarf, etc) are not 5eOGL. Solo might want to voice an opinion, however I would not be inclined to try emulate 5e material after checking how their OGL is set up.... however, drawing from the 3e incarnations of each that has representation in both OGLs would be OK so far as I can see... or like I suggest earlier, an all-original redesign of certain base concepts would be even better.

Having said all that, I don't want to be misunderstood. I like general idea of getting these sorts of things in place for BFRPG, however I would want them done in the best most legit way so that they might get actual inclusion as options for the game... in a way where other contributors might feel inclined to utilize them in other bits like adventures or setting work.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Smoot has covered my opinion fairly well; I have nothing to add but my approval.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Blood axe

Post by Blood axe »

Ok, Dragonborn, Tiefling are out.
Lets go with Half-Dragon, Half-Demon. A version of Dark Elf from the Giants adventure, and possibly some other races.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
spidyfan21

Post by spidyfan21 »

We could throw "Angelic" in there as a sort of Half-Angel race.