Chainmail Spellcasting

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
The Angry Monk

Chainmail Spellcasting

Post by The Angry Monk »

Brendan Falconer in Knockspell #2 took the rules for spellcasting from the Chainmail supplement and cleaned them up for ease of use. I liked what he did. It added an element of uncertainty to casting magic while allowing the Magic-User the chance of recovering the spell (instead of the usual Vancian fire-and-forget). A chap on Google+ was looking for a 2d6 version of the spellcasting rules (there are many around) and I told him about Brendan's article. Now Brendan used a d12 instead of 2d6, but that is easily remedied. Also he uses low numbers are better than high numbers. I am not a fan of that. Bigger numbers are always better, right? So I tweaked the table making it 2d6, higher numbers better. Once the caster has rolled the 2d6 to see if the spell is immediately successful, successful but delayed one round, or a failure, he or she must roll another d6 to see if the spell is forgotten or can be retained. I thought that the player could add his or her character's intelligence bonus to aid in spell recovery. Since 3d6 are being rolled, I thought that the player could roll 2d6 of one colour and a 1d6 of another colour to see the result of the casting. This would allow for things like rolling all sixes means maximum spell effect or damage and rolling all ones means a spell fumble. I haven't attached the file because I'm not sure if it meets the OGL standards. Let me know what you think.
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”
chiisu81

Re: Chainmail Spellcasting

Post by chiisu81 »

Was the Knockspell article released as open content under the OGL (should be shown either at end of the article or the end of the issue)? If so, you're clear as long as your file cites the magazine/article near the end of your OGL copy (kinda like how all BFRPG items cite Castles and Crusades, etc.).
The Angry Monk

Post by The Angry Monk »

Cool. I will check.
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”
quozl

Post by quozl »

Yep, all OGL.