Magical Item Compendium

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Some Magic Items

Post by Dimirag »

Scroll of Magic Scroll Copying

This item appears to be a standard blank scroll, however, when in contact with a written spell scroll it can copy its content after the command word is uttered, from that point forward the magic scroll will convert into a regular spell scroll.

Fireman's Hand axe

This is a hand axe +1 that glows red when near (300 feet) of any fire entity or fire out of control, it also deals double damage against the mentioned creatures and when used to chop doors.

Scroll of Sketching

This scroll will create a lifelike sketch of a person or creature whose name is mentioned while it is held unfolded.

The Problem Fixer

This is a Longsword +5 cursed weapon that once held will compel its bearer that using it always will be the best way to remedying any problem.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

Locator Token:

This is a small item that once given to someone creates a bond that allows the giver to always be aware of the receiver's location, and their state of health, and whether the receiver has died. The token must be freely accepted by the receiver, although that does not mean they must know what it does. If the token is somehow taken by another person (stolen or given freely), or if the token and receiver are separated by a distance greater than 1000ft, then the bond is broken, and the giver is unaware of their location, or state of health, although they are aware that the bond was not broken through death. The magic does not tell the giver where the token is, but where the receiver is, so simply setting the token aside, will not give a false location.

These tokens can be any shape or size, but are usually easily carried, and not readily traded. Common tokens include necklaces, coins of "worthless" metal (e.g. lead, tin, or iron), or perhaps a lock of hair.
Last edited by Clever_Munkey on Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

Went a little off topic, but I wanted to show that it should hurt a lot.

Expanding Sling Stones

Game Details:
These small, smooth 1 inch diameter, 1 ounce stones are engraved with images of blooming flowers. After being thrown from a sling, at a moment just before it strikes an object (whether it's the desired object or not), the stone expands to 4 times it's size diametrically, but maintains its speed. This results in a total of 3d6 damage to the object that it strikes (too much? See below). After use, the stone retains its new (larger) form, and is too heavy to be easily used in a sling. A typical bag when found will contain 1d4+3 stones. A much rarer variety exists, that revert to their original form, and are reusable, baring that they are not lost. A typical bag of these will contain only 1d3 stones, and the GM should make sure there is a chance (~50%?) of losing them.

Physics Rant:
The expansion of the stone increases its volume, and therefore its mass, by 64 times its original value to roughly 4 pounds. Most sling stones can be easily thrown to around 90 mph (40 m/s) often higher. The stone maintains its speed (momentum is Not conserved in the transformation), resulting in a 4 pound rock moving at 90+ miles an hour toward its target. For perspective a baseball is roughly 1/3 of a pound, and is thrown professionally at these speeds. So an expanding sling stone has roughly 12 times as much energy as a MLB pitcher's fastball. To stop one of these stones you would have to exert half a ton (~1070 pounds) of force, and be moved by one foot, or ~200 pounds of force, and be moved 5 feet by the stone.
Last edited by Clever_Munkey on Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I like it. However, let me suggest that you make the damage a straight-up roll of 3d6, or perhaps 2d8 or 2d10 (for a softer damage curve). No need to "keep" the 1d4.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Longman

Post by Longman »

Mirdek's Traparatus

Mirdek the Gnome developed a special eyeglass which allows characters to search for traps or secret doors in a 10x10 square that can be up to 60' away from the square they occupy. The character may also determine if doors are locked, at a similar range, and observe fine details such as the presence of keys, or small inscriptions on doors and other surfaces. The device does not normally allow the user to detect magic, although if the user has Detect Magic as a spell or ability, they may cast the spell through the apparatus. The apparatus functions well with infra-vision to a 60' range. It radiates magic and weighs only one pound and resembles a small eyeglass. Only a handful were made.

Mirdek's Clubowler

This somewhat clunky-looking device functions as a regular short crossbow, but which can be fired every round. Pressing a knot in the wood will activate its main magical function: the crossbow mechanism can be stowed away inside the body, and the whole device transforms into a stout wooden club (doing 1d6 damage). The transformation takes only a second, so the user may fire the crossbow in one round and use the club in the next. When the club is transformed into a crossbow again it will be reloaded, of course, and the device never runs out of quarrels so none need ever be purchased or carried. By pressing another knot, the device may be transformed into another small wooden object like a box, tripod or footstool, so it is highly useful as a concealed weapon. The device does not radiate magic although higher level spells like True Seeing will reveal that it is highly magical. The average clubowler weighs about 8 pounds. Mirdek made them in numerous quantities buy they were prone to breaking (1 in 100 chance per use as a club in melee) so only a few remain.
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

Solomoriah wrote:I like it. However, let me suggest that you make the damage a straight-up roll of 3d6, or perhaps 2d8 or 2d10 (for a softer damage curve). No need to "keep" the 1d4.
Yeah, I was tired, and it doesn't make much sense to have the 1d4 damage, but I like the distribution of 3d6s. I've edited it.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Crystal Dove of Messaging

This magic item looks like a dove made of gorgeous translucent crystal. When someone tells a message to the dove and says the name of the receiver the statuette will animate and fly directly to that person (the dove will magically know who the receiver is and where it can be located).

The Crystal Dove flies at a rate of 10' (fly 100') and once it reaches the receiver it will replicate the message, after the message ends it will go back to its inanimate form.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Ship In a bottle

This is a magical bottle containing a tiny ship in its interior, once the cork is remove the ship will grow into full size after 2d6 turns. If the ship is unleash in deep enough water it will be ready for use.

The kind of ship is randomly determined:

Ship______________d00
Carrack___________01-40
Longship__________41-70
Galley, Small______71-90
Galley, Large______91-00
Tree Ant

Post by Tree Ant »

(Inspired by Solo's previous post).

Sword of Random Enhancement/Curse

This sword is highly unpredictable. It can give the wielder great might at one moment, and be their downfall the next.

Lesser sword of random enhancement/curse:
At the beginning of combat roll 1d6-3 to determine the swords enhancement/curse. If the result is less than 0, treat the item as cursed. The wielder believes it is enchanted and cannot switch to another weapon.
This effect will last for 10 rounds. If the user continues to use the sword, reroll the enhancement.

Greater sword of random enhancement/curse:
At the beginning of combat roll 1d10-5 to determine the swords enhancement/curse. If the result is less than 0, treat the item as cursed. The wielder believes it is enchanted and cannot switch to another weapon.
This effect will last for 10 rounds. If the user continues to use the sword, reroll the enhancement.
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

The Flute of Ill Repute:
This magical flute will bless the user with fantastic musical abilities. The downside is that they will be viewed with scorn by everyone (-2 to reaction rolls), believing that the user somehow does not deserve what they have accomplished, although they will never know exactly why. If asked why they feel that way they will simply say "It feels like they cheated", or similar.

Comparable to the Flute of Ill Repute is:
The Lute of Ill Repute, which does basically the same thing.
The Suit of Ill Repute, which will make the wearer appear however they desire (Humanoid) in exchange for the same curse.
The Fruit of Ill Repute, which permanently increases a characteristic by +1, in exchange for the same curse. The curse gets worse every time a fruit is eaten (more scorn, and cumulative reaction roll penalty).
Roll 1d6
1) Strength
2) Intelligence
3) Wisdom
4) Dexterity
5) Constitution
6) Roll again +2 bonus, Ignore rolls of 6

In all cases, except the Fruit of Ill Repute, the curse can be removed by disposing of the object as any normal object. In the case of the Fruit of Ill Repute anything that would remove the curse (Such as the spell Remove Curse) also removes the bonus, and vice versa.
Last edited by Clever_Munkey on Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.