Spell Cards Discussion

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Guyon

Re: Spell Cards Discussion

Post by Guyon »

Metroknight wrote:Just a small suggestion to think about. Put the page number of the spell or monster in the notes to make it easy to look it up. This would work great with the bulleted list.
Great idea
Guyon

Post by Guyon »

Solomoriah wrote:I think it's still a matter for discussion.

We need shorter descriptions; after we have them, we can figure out what size of font we can get away with.
Very much a matter of discussion. But I think I would rather get the layout and font set up. Then we can edit the text to fit.
Last edited by Guyon on Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guyon

Post by Guyon »

Babarock wrote:
Card Back2.png
Or, with a little added finesse using the standardized fonts from the game:
Sample Card.jpg
I am liking the concept of this card. Can I get the images at 600 dpi?
Leave a link and I will set up a prototype for text and a schedule for creation.
Brainstorm. Let's use both sides of the card for text.

Thanks!

UPDATE: Scratch that I am working on the prototype now
Babarock

Post by Babarock »

I agree with the 'text to fit' approach. I confess that I have not begun to edit the card text because, without a finalized and agreed upon layout (or end form), its tough to say just how much editing is necessary. For some spells, it will be heavy, for others, not so much.

I will say, as a professional printer, that making 2 sided cards could be a little challenging for the end user unless we provide a thick, blank margin for each card, which of course limits the real estate upon which we can build art and text.

Some spells may simply need a second (part 2) card or a second side just to cover all the details. Perhaps we should consider a nice color design on side one and then a black ink, text only, wide margin side 2 only for those spells that need the extra space.
Guyon

Post by Guyon »

WOW Babarock is a pro printer. Maybe he should take the lead and I would be happy to be grunt work.
Anyway just to generate ideas here is a test for a double sided card that you print and fold. The upside is there is no change to original copy. the down side is that you can only fit four cards per page.
Card needs twerked but good enough to show
Attachments
Spell Cards.pdf
(270.07 KiB) Downloaded 525 times
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Since I have not heard anything lately (I might have missed posts if they are in the workshop forum), I thought I would post an example of my person project that was inspired by this thread. I'm using the blanks and the covers posted in this thread also but instead of white edging, I filled with a leather pattern around the scroll background to give it an interesting design.

The Angry Monk

Post by The Angry Monk »

Sorry, I've been slack :oops: .
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”
Lord Kjeran

Post by Lord Kjeran »

Well, it doesn't help for the group project, but I've been making spell cards for 5e and S&WC by using a MtG card creator, printing them out and gluing them onto (basic land) MtG cards. I few are on my FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/anthony.emmel/ ... 968&type=3

An example:

You can't fit everything on the card but, especially with S&WC, you can get what's needed for normal casting on the card. Oh, and I use the Mana Cost for the level of the spell. :)
"It was an age of dark beliefs and of practises that were no less dark; and witchcraft and sorcery were rampant throughout the land, among all classes." --Clark Ashton Smith, "The Necromantic Tale"
The Angry Monk

Post by The Angry Monk »

That looks sweet. I love the photo. Thanks for sharing.

I haven't done much with this idea since it was posted :oops: . I'm a bad, bad man.
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”
Wolf_Zuzu

Post by Wolf_Zuzu »

Hey everyone :D I'm prepared to make shorter descriptions of the spells, even do packs for supplement classes when the main roster is done, but I'd need to know what's the word count we are looking at?

Also, it might be a good idea to have a font that's easy to read no matter it's size, something like New Times Roman.