Dimirag's Martial Artist

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Dimirag's Martial Artist

Post by Dimirag »

This is something I had in the making for a long time, something along the line of a Monk but w/out the clerical part and the mechanics that are most commonly seen in it.

Files are on the Showcase
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
LibraryLass

Re: Dimirag's Martial Artist

Post by LibraryLass »

Can I first of all say that this is cool and I mostly like it a lot.

However I do have a couple things I want to point out.

1. "The Martial Artist is able to hit unarmed any creature requiring silver or magical weapons as long as his Level plus Wisdom bonus is equal or higher than the creature's HD."

This isn't a bad idea but I think it might be something that should come in at a slightly higher level instead of being available from the start. A simpler way to do it might be to have the martial artist's unarmed strikes count as silver against any opponent once the character themself is above a certain character level and magic above a higher one, but either way of handling it works for me.

2. "A Martial Artist is able to move his normal movement by stepping on the inner energy of material objects. One step is enough to move his full movement. The Martial Artist can move in any single direction with each movement but he can change direction by making a Saving Throw vs Spells."

I don't understand this ability. Can you rephrase it to make it clearer?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

LibraryLass wrote:Can I first of all say that this is cool and I mostly like it a lot.

Thanks LL
LibraryLass wrote:1. "The Martial Artist is able to hit unarmed any creature requiring silver or magical weapons as long as his Level plus Wisdom bonus is equal or higher than the creature's HD."

This isn't a bad idea but I think it might be something that should come in at a slightly higher level instead of being available for the start. A simpler way to do it might be to have the martial artist's unarmed strikes count as silver above a certain character level and magic above a higher one, but either way of handling it works for me.
I wanted to avoid the "earn X ability at Y level". I like it because it gives more variety instead of being and "all or nothing" kind of special ability
LibraryLass wrote:2. "A Martial Artist is able to move his normal movement by stepping on the inner energy of material objects. One step is enough to move his full movement. The Martial Artist can move in any single direction with each movement but he can change direction by making a Saving Throw vs Spells."

I'm really having difficulties putting this ability in English idiom, the idea is that the MA can move up to his normal movement in any linear direction, even up or down, with one swift movement, so he can "fly" short distances. This allows the "treebranch to treebranch flying" that is seen on some wushu movies (combined with his "zero weight" special ability). The thing is that the MA must move in linear ways unless he can make a ST to change direction.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Dimirag wrote:
LibraryLass wrote:Can I first of all say that this is cool and I mostly like it a lot.

Thanks LL
LibraryLass wrote:1. "The Martial Artist is able to hit unarmed any creature requiring silver or magical weapons as long as his Level plus Wisdom bonus is equal or higher than the creature's HD."

This isn't a bad idea but I think it might be something that should come in at a slightly higher level instead of being available for the start. A simpler way to do it might be to have the martial artist's unarmed strikes count as silver above a certain character level and magic above a higher one, but either way of handling it works for me.
I wanted to avoid the "earn X ability at Y level". I like it because it gives more variety instead of being and "all or nothing" kind of special ability
LibraryLass wrote:2. "A Martial Artist is able to move his normal movement by stepping on the inner energy of material objects. One step is enough to move his full movement. The Martial Artist can move in any single direction with each movement but he can change direction by making a Saving Throw vs Spells."

I'm really having difficulties putting this ability in English idiom, the idea is that the MA can move up to his normal movement in any linear direction, even up or down, with one swift movement, so he can "fly" short distances. This allows the "treebranch to treebranch flying" that is seen on some wushu movies (combined with his "zero weight" special ability). The thing is that the MA must move in linear ways unless he can make a ST to change direction.
Oh! Okay! I get the idea now. That is tricky to phrase. I'll think about it some more and see if I can't come up with something helpful.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Thanks LL!

How about something along these lines:

"A Martial Artist is able to move by "gliding" from place to place. In order to do this he must start from solid ground or a similar place. The Martial Artist moves in a linear way with each movement but he can change direction in mid-gliding by making a Saving Throw vs Spells."
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

That's good, but I would specifically mention that it can be in any direction.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Release 2 uploaded.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

R-3 has been upload
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

R-4 uploaded with art included
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Great artwork as always! :) While the header is labelled Martial Artist, the sub-heading after the opening paragraph makes it read like there will be additional sub-classes added to this document. Is that intended or is this just for this sub-class?