Combat Options Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Combat Options Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

In my opinion, Combat Options should keep the current, "basic" weapon specialization rules. The Weapons Specialization supplement would include the "advanced" system with all the optional bits.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Alright, having consulted my brother I've decided to go with cleave variant 2 for the next release candidate. Here it is. I've left Armor and Shield specialization in for now, but if we branch out and do the specialization supplement, I can take them out to make room for them in that if you prefer.

Edit: Whoops, forgot the attachments
Attachments
BF-Combat-Options-Supplement-r3-candidate-with-specialization.pdf
(93.07 KiB) Downloaded 695 times
BF-Combat-Options-Supplement-r3-candidate-with-specialization.odt
(36.03 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

How about adding this?
Solomoriah in [url=http://www.basicfantasy.org/forums/posting.php?mode=quote&f=19&p=21249]Rangers and Paladins Supplements[/url] wrote:One of the supplementary rules I've been musing over for Combat Options is this one:

Unarmored Combat

Characters who, for whatever reason, engage in combat while wearing no armor whatsoever have a base Armor Class of 11, plus Dexterity bonus, plus the character's normal Attack Bonus. Use of a shield is allowed (to those characters who may use shields normally), as are magical protection items which are not otherwise properly armor (such as rings or cloaks of protection). This improved base Armor Class only applies to opponents the character is aware of and whose location is at least approximately known, as it is not possible to defend effectively against attackers you do not know about. This is sometimes called the "Swashbuckler Option."
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Actually, I was thinking about this just last night.

Quite possibly will be in the next release.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

... and now it's in there.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Cool :D
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Hellbrandt

Post by Hellbrandt »

A quick question to clear up something in this supplement. When a new weapon specialization is chosen it always starts at Rank 1, independent of the fighter's level? Is that right?

So a fighter at level 10 could have Rank 3 Longsword and Rank 1 Great Axe, or any combination of ranks with 4 different weapons?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Hellbrandt wrote:A quick question to clear up something in this supplement. When a new weapon specialization is chosen it always starts at Rank 1, independent of the fighter's level? Is that right?

So a fighter at level 10 could have Rank 3 Longsword and Rank 1 Great Axe, or any combination of ranks with 4 different weapons?
That's how I see it. As ranks are acquired, the player has choice to apply towards single weapon or to spread to additional weapons.

In addition, I would like mention in next release that specialization ranks can be applied towards "unarmed attacks or grappling". I could even see it possibly applied towards siege weapon attacks, or if some non-standard races are utilized towards innate natural attacks (for instance bite attack of Chelonian or Gore attack of Bisren).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Sounds reasonable; I'll consider revising it.
Hellbrandt

Post by Hellbrandt »

SmootRK wrote:
Hellbrandt wrote:A quick question to clear up something in this supplement. When a new weapon specialization is chosen it always starts at Rank 1, independent of the fighter's level? Is that right?

That's how I see it. As ranks are acquired, the player has choice to apply towards single weapon or to spread to additional weapons.

In addition, I would like mention in next release that specialization ranks can be applied towards "unarmed attacks or grappling". I could even see it possibly applied towards siege weapon attacks, or if some non-standard races are utilized towards innate natural attacks (for instance bite attack of Chelonian or Gore attack of Bisren).
Thanks for clarifying, when I can I like to have these things straight in my head before they come up at the table...