[AA3] Fire Mountain

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
John Dutton

[AA3] Fire Mountain

Post by John Dutton »

Hi, I'm completely new to this forum malarkey so please forgive me if I make a few mistakes.

I'm a teacher from the UK and run a BFRPG club at my school. I recently sent a copy of one of my adventures to Chris Gonnerman for possible inclusion on this website. He kindly suggested that I post it here. So, here goes...

Edit: this is now available in AA3
SmootRK

Re: Fire Mountain

Post by SmootRK »

Welcome John!
Well you are certainly off to good start! Few show up with an adventure for their first post... in fact none that I am aware of until this!
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
arcbolt21

Post by arcbolt21 »

While the name is catchy, I'm afraid I have no program to run docx files with...
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Libre/OpenOffice should be able to open just fine. Although you might need to make the file associations.
I just tested this to be true, although one loses the fancy border.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
arcbolt21

Post by arcbolt21 »

Just found a website (Zamzar) that will do the converting for free. Looking it over now!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Seriously, current LibreOffice will open DOCX files fine.

John has suggested inclusion of his adventures (he has several more) in AA2. They'll need to be converted to the standard format and edited; if one of you (Chi?) wants to undertake the conversion, go ahead. Otherwise, I'll attend to it myself when I get a chance.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
arcbolt21

Post by arcbolt21 »

I actually do not have LibreOffice, but I'll look into it. As for the adventure, I must say it is very nice and well thought out. If it is in AA2, it will be a good fit.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Solomoriah wrote:Seriously, current LibreOffice will open DOCX files fine.

John has suggested inclusion of his adventures (he has several more) in AA2. They'll need to be converted to the standard format and edited; if one of you (Chi?) wants to undertake the conversion, go ahead. Otherwise, I'll attend to it myself when I get a chance.
Yep, I'll work on it.
arcbolt21 wrote:I actually do not have LibreOffice, but I'll look into it. As for the adventure, I must say it is very nice and well thought out. If it is in AA2, it will be a good fit.
I def. recommend it, I mean it's not as nice as a text editor but for what it does it ain't too shabby ;) If you need any of the fonts PM me or Solo.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

"...it's not as nice as a text editor..."

Dunno what you're talking about, Chi. I HATE MS Office with the passion of a thousand exploding stars... and each new version advances my hatred a hundredfold.

I don't like the way it types. I don't like the arrangement of the ribbon (it sucks). I don't really like much at all about it.

LibreOffice makes PDFs directly, without any plugins, and has done so for years. It is optimized for writers (actually, for layout) with full up-front support for styles; it's a pain to work with styles in Word, and it's a pain to lay out books without style support.

I can't imagine wanting to do it any other way.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Boom shakalak!

And I was referring to my preference of Gedit, Notepad++, or TextWrangler (heck let's add iaWriter and Highland as well). If I never had to use a word processor I'd really like that. ;) And LO does some things better or different than Word, but neither is a stunning piece of software heh.

Edit: revised docs moved to first post.